PDA

View Full Version : upper arm ache

tashbarnes87
03-08-09, 16:48
Hi all, i posted about this on my other thread thanks to nic and the other people who responded i just wanted to find out if a few other people have had this. My son is 6 months old & 22-24 lbs ( just weighed him on the scales lol) my arms have a really dull ache when i lift them above my head for more than 10 seconds so putting the washing out & typing etc hurts. Its a really dull burning pain radiating from my elbow to my shoulder. I do carry my son around a lot of the day could this be the reason? i have had it for a few weeks now. I dont do any sport really and havent lifted aything. Im putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5 and thinking its the first sign of musle weakness ( als :( )

on a brighter note my twitches have been a bit better today & i have oly had about 4

The reason i am posting is i just found myself googling & stopped in my tracks & came on here before the words ms, als, mnd came up :D

nomorepanic
03-08-09, 17:48
Hi Tash

Did you take our advice and not carry the baby around all day today?

tashbarnes87
03-08-09, 17:58
Hey nic, i tried to but im on my own with him for 80% and hes a needy little man lol so its hard. I have booked myself in for a sports massage to see if that helps x

nomorepanic
03-08-09, 18:06
Can you not put him in a play pen for a while. At least you will find out if all the aches are because of carrying him around all day.

tashbarnes87
03-08-09, 19:14
Yeah i will try im moving on wednesday and am hoping at the new house it will be easier as theres more space for him to walk around in his walker

thanks
xx

tashbarnes87
04-08-09, 07:26
o its so much worse today my right arm is burning when i do anything im so so worried. Everything i hold seems heavier than normal and it almost feels like my arm is just swaying by my side. I only have to lift it & it burns :( this is weakness isnt it :weep: im so sad. Its meant to be a happy day today i get the keys to my new house :weep:

MandySlade
04-08-09, 07:53
I get the exact same pain in the exact same spot when I've been twisting/lifting with my arm a lot at work. I notice when I'm not at work for a day or two it goes away. I think it's just muscle over-use. I imagine when you hold your baby, he moves around at least somewhat. The tiny muscle movements you do to try to counter-act the baby's movement and keep him stable are likely -very- stressful. At this point it's become "repetitive" movement for that muscle. Lots of repetitive use injuries cause burning and weakness... even twitches. My job is very physical, so I tend to get that sort of thing often.. esp when I'm over worked.

Think of it this way...
You are carrying around a 22ish lb weight every day. How could you NOT tire out that muscle?

tashbarnes87
04-08-09, 09:29
Hi mandy thanks for reply its good to hear. I just kind of assumed my arm muscles would get stronger & deal with it. xx

tashbarnes87
04-08-09, 16:58
:weep: I have been such a mess today heard something about stephen hawking getting ALS at 21 & i was nearly sick. My arms are so sore, my shoulders are burning & i am terrified im going to wake up in the morning and not be able to move. Sorry for another post but im struggling and as from tomorrow morning i have no internet for a few weeks so i cant come on here. :( Im sure this is weakness as its effecting my dad to day stuff today as it aches so much even typing this! :weep: :weep:

MandySlade
04-08-09, 17:15
Hi mandy thanks for reply its good to hear. I just kind of assumed my arm muscles would get stronger & deal with it. xx

If the muscle never has time to heal, it won't "get stronger". When people train muscles they work them out one day, rest one day, work them out the next, rest the next, etc.

This is because it takes that "down time" for the muscle to heal itself.

MandySlade
04-08-09, 17:24
:weep: I have been such a mess today heard something about stephen hawking getting ALS at 21 & i was nearly sick. My arms are so sore, my shoulders are burning & i am terrified im going to wake up in the morning and not be able to move. Sorry for another post but im struggling and as from tomorrow morning i have no internet for a few weeks so i cant come on here. :( Im sure this is weakness as its effecting my dad to day stuff today as it aches so much even typing this! :weep: :weep:

One of the books I'm reading about anxiety and worry talks about the "gun technique".

Basically what you are supposed to do in order to find out if your thoughts are rational or not is imagine someone is pointing a gun to the head of your loved ones. They ask you a question like "When you wake up tomorrow, will you be able to move?"

You HAVE to answer yes or no. That should clue you in on how irrational your perception is. Once you know that, you should try "disputing" the irrational thought. There are all kinds of techniques and information about that online (it's part of CBT).

Also, one of the best things I've read for hypochondria has some "scripts" you're supposed to tell yourself when you're panicking. One of my favorites goes something like this:

"If there's nothing wrong with me, look at all the time I've wasted obsessing and ritualizing*. And if there IS something wrong with me, look at all the time I've wasted that I will never get back"

*ritualizing can be looking on the internet, asking friends/family for reassurance, or just plain worrying.

I feel like saying that in my head helps me a lot sometimes. It keeps me centered to remember that I'm wrecking my own life with all the worry. What if you DO have ms or als? You can't do -anything- about it. Chances are you probably don't (gun test) and you are worrying for nothing. But, even if you DO.... you are still worrying for nothing.

tashbarnes87
04-08-09, 17:29
mandy i do really appriciate you taking the time out to help me i feel like a knobber worrying so much but its such a real fear. I will try what you said and quit worrying! x

ElizabethJane
04-08-09, 18:57
Dear tashbarnes I'm almost certain that you haven't got als or mnd. My dear mum had mnd and sadly died in 1988. Your symptoms do not match hers. Stephen Hawking is unique in the type of mnd that he has. Please try to put these upsetting thoughts out of your mind.

tashbarnes87
05-08-09, 12:55
they hurt again today is it possible its either my back? as it feels sore at the bottom ( i do suffer from a bad back)

also this seem heavier than normal. why would that be? i am trying to stay calm xx

tashbarnes87
05-08-09, 12:55
sorry that should say 'things seem heavier today'

could i be imagining it?

kimmiepie
05-08-09, 21:08
First of all, congratulations on your new baby. :)

Secondly, I have an almost 6 month old as well. He weighs over 20 lbs. I carry him in my left arm most of the time and on the days where I carry him a lot I get the SAME symptoms you get. I even got something "worse" which was a tingling on that side when I breathed in, sneezed etc. Turns out the less I carry him, the less my arm/neck/back area hurt and feel weak etc as well as the tingling subsides or goes away. It all seems to be connected.

Please try not to worry. I am certain it's all connected. :bighug1: