PDA

View Full Version : citalopram to cipralex

flutterbye
04-08-09, 09:48
Hi everyone, i am looking for some general advice on the cipralex i have just been prescribed.

i was on 20mg citalopram for 9 months but for the last couple ive been feeling as down as i did before i even started taking ADs so this morning the doctor prescribed me 10mg escitalopram instead. are these any more effective...anyone had first hand experience??

emetetc
05-08-09, 00:10
I switched from one to the other but it was early on and due to a side effect. As I understand it they are very similar but escitalopram is less likely to cause side effects. 10mg escitalopram is equivalent to 20mg citalopram. I have been very happy with it on the whole.
As they are so similar, if there is no improvement maybe the doc should put you on a different type altogether?
Hope you feel better soon.

Prue89
05-08-09, 01:17
I found this on a seperate site, I hope it helps :)

Cipralex is an updated version of Citalopram

Citalopram is primarily used to treat the symptoms of depression but can also be prescribed for social anxiety disorder, panic disorder or OCD. It has many side affects.

Cipralex is used for the treatmeant of major depressive disorders and general anxiety disorders, including, social, panic and OCD. It has less side affects than citalopram and most don't last very long.

So maybe your doc switched you because you've been feeling more down and cipralex is better at treating it. Either way, thats what im on, and i say big thumbs up to cipralex :D

magpie girl
06-08-09, 14:32
hi i was on citalipram for 2years and my gp switched me to cipralex as my anxiety came back 2fold!!!!! i find the cipralex alot better as citalopram upset my stomach and gave me acid reflux,i do think it works better for anxiety aswell

flutterbye
06-08-09, 20:04
oh thats not good magpie girl, i really hope it doesnt get worse for me. dont think i could deal with that.

thanks for all the other info tho. been on the cipralex for a few days now so we shall see how it goes!x

WillLatch
08-08-09, 23:09
This is day 6 of 10mg of Cipralex for me after four weeks of 5mg.. I'm not expecting any miracles.. but err.. not sure if ANYTHING is happening.. Side effects = feeling more depressed maybe but dunno if that's me or the Cipralex. Anyway, thought I'd just add my 2p worth to this particular thread.

swat77
09-09-09, 12:36
Hi guys,

Just a quick one, how quick did you feel any side effects as im on day three but the first day i seemed to be like a zombie, as if id picked up the flu, any body else had this???

flutterbye
01-10-09, 02:09
I felt very few sideeffects going on cipralex but I think that was only because my body was already adjusted to 9 months worth of citalopram. Days 1-7 of citalopram on the other hand were awful..panic attacks, constant shaking, lethargy and feeling sick!

Just to update on my original message on this thread...cipralex had been alot better for me and I'm feeling much happier now :)