PDA

View Full Version : Why don't doctors listen?

fairyloveheart
04-08-09, 15:52
Ok, so I go to the docs today with my painful eye. He doesn't even look in my eye and diagnoses conjunctivitus - my eye is not red, I have no discharge from it, so how the hell is it conjunctivitus....

Whilst I am there I decide to tell him I am struggling to cope with the facial pain, I still have no diagnosis or pain relief from, he says "nothing i can do, you just have to live with it"

HOPELESS

I am probably going blind and he didn't even look in my eye

I feel so unhappy and just don't know what to do anymore.:weep:

I am really worried that something bad is going on with my eye, it aches....

amandaj
04-08-09, 15:59
hi sorry your dr didnt listen to you ,but im sure if he thought anything was really wrong he would of done a more thorough check , but if your not happy with him her you can always go to see another dr for a 2nd opinion i know i have a few times in the past
take care
amandaxx

fairyloveheart
04-08-09, 16:08
Thanks Amanda, everything just feels hopeless :( My eye really hurts and it says with conjunctivitis you don't get pain

amandaj
04-08-09, 16:10
sometimes the chemist is more helpful nowadays they seem to take more notice of us

Rachel424
04-08-09, 16:13
Hi there, yes you should definitely go to another doctor for a second opinion. Or you could go to a pharmacy and ask to speak to a pharmacist. They will probably ask you if you've seen a doctor, but you might be able to buy some eye drops over the counter that will help your symptoms. Another option is to go to an NHS walk-in-centre where you will be able to see a nurse. Most hospitals have one. Good Luck.

fairyloveheart
04-08-09, 16:17
I got some eyedrops. I just think it is glaucoma.... :( I will give it a few days and go back if no better. I just am not sure I can take much more of their flippancy

RosieXXX
04-08-09, 16:20
Hello,

I am sorry your appointment with the doctor was so unsatisfactory.

Unfortunately some doctors can be dismissive which is disrespectul to say the least; he should have taken your concern seriously and examined your eye. His response concerning your facial pain was equally off hand; i think he could have shown you more understanding.

I know it can be difficult when these things happen, but I think it would be worthwhile making an appointment to see another doctor.

amandaj
04-08-09, 16:35
if you go for an eye test also they can tell you usually whats up maybe worth a go ?

seeker
04-08-09, 18:49
Conjunctivitis does hurt! It often feels like you have grit or sand stuck in your eye. Your eye is usually red though. it could be a stress thing - have you had an eye test recently? they test for glaucoma at an eye test, so worth going if doctor keeps being rubbish!

They turned my eyelid inside out and told me I was displaying mild allergy and did i have a dog - I did and have had eye troubes ever since really. nothing too bad though. Hope it feels better soon.

turnthelighton
04-08-09, 20:06
Hi, I had this for over a year almost. My ended up being dry eye, and the need for wearing glasses. The Dr said it was conjunctivitus too but it was not red just sore and achey......even went to an eye doctor and he said just use the drops. Which I got from the chemist. The optition was very good and should have gone there sooner, it turns out I had no 3d vision, got some glasses and the eye did improve. Hope you feel better soon. Sharon

fairyloveheart
06-08-09, 10:05
Still bad and painful, drops don't seem to be helping :( Apparantely it was the doctor's last day when I saw him, so I think that is why he was a meanie.

Fed up :(