PDA

View Full Version : Prozac - Anixety/Panic Attacks

Robertc160882
04-08-09, 15:55
Hi,

I have read a good few posts saying that prozac isnt that great for anixety I'm just wondering if anyone else has found it helpful and if it has worked for them?

I'm on day 11 so hoping they work soon.

robert

Mich1111
04-08-09, 17:00
Hi

I'm on it for anxiety/panic attacks/depression. My anxiety got worse for the first 2-3 weeks until the medication got in my system then it settled down.

Cat80
04-08-09, 17:13
I was on it a few months ago for anxiety and depression but mainly the anxiety. I only managed it for just over a month because my anxiety increased so much I couldn't cope. I was prescribed it by a temp GP, when I went back and saw my usual Dr I was told it's not a good medication for anxiety, great for depression but not the anxiety side of things

jo61
04-08-09, 21:13
My shrink says it can take up to 10 weeks for it to work for Anxiety. Shorter for depression.

eastender24
31-08-09, 04:02
3 months for it to work for me, take propanalol with it to start with

kazzablanca
03-11-09, 18:21
I have been on Fluoxotine for many years, cant actually remember now many, more than ten! I am at the doctors tomorrow because the flu. keep me kind of level with the depression, my anxiety and sweats and sickness and panic attacks have got really bad over the last 3 months since I gave up alcohol, I am hoping to take something for the anxiety that will work with my prozac or for a complete change.....wish me luck :) ps I dont want to go back to the alcohol, that is a whole other problem. Karen

carter
04-11-09, 11:07
hi,

Im on day 17 of taken them...i have to say that it makes you 10x worse before they make you better..

it made my anixety that bad i coudnt leave the house..but the last few days have been good...not 100% but about 60/70% there..im out and about again..... but i still do not feel like me yet..i hopin that will come with time....

the attacks have almost stopped although i can still feel them there to the point there like a small itch in my arms now ?? if that makes sence..??

they do work for anixety they just they take longer to work....i think some of the others work faster thats all...and if your in a world of sxxt anyway... it can feel like a life time..

i hope this helps..my advice about this site is some of the stuff scares you to death...take it with a pinch of salt....they are based on individual personal experiences...and we are all diffrent...the main advice is you gotta give it the full 8 weeks....i wouldnt recommend changing meds so soon as the first 2/3 weeks are the worst on this type of med..if no change in 6 weeks then change..if you are able take a few weeks off work until you get used to the meds do that...so you can concentrate on getting better as remember you are the most important person in the world...the world can wait for 2/3 weeks..

:D

all the best

carter

PanicOver!!
04-11-09, 11:25
Hi

Im on Fluoxatine (prozac) and it certainly worked for me when calitropram didnt
too about 2 weks to kick in but i had no ill effects

KK77
04-11-09, 14:18
In the long run I think it works as well for anxiety as any other SSRI. I've been told that it takes longer to work though. Basically, it's down to SEs and whether you can tolerate them. Prozac is known to increase anxiety at first more than some other SSRIs and a lot of people seem to give up too soon.

Give it time - at least 8 weeks for full effect.

LJL
04-11-09, 15:10
Hi

I'm on day 15 and the anxiety is still bad, (not as bad as it was when it was the first week) God that was horrendous, anyway I don't get the pins and needles in my arms and legs anymore, I just feel really really sick and have the shakes but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end :)