PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Craven
29-09-05, 21:58
Hi, I thought I’d finally introduce myself. I’ve been coming to this site for several months, but I’ve never had much to say on the main subjects: panic, anxiety and depression! I’ve had some enjoyably evenings in the chat room - jokes, wisecracks and banter - but otherwise I’ve not made much contribution.

I’ve suffered with “all of the above” on and off and to varying degrees, most of my adult life. At the moment my biggest battle is with depression. I’ve been on this current depression spiral for about 2 ½ years. This part of my life has included the break up of my longest lasting relationship, the death of my Father, the loss of a job I enjoyed (replaced by a job I loathe) and disappointment in “friends” who I thought would be supportive during this time.

I feel like a shadow of the man I was 3 years ago. I sometimes feel like I have unlearnt a lot of life’s lessons and reverted to an earlier version of myself - I don’t know if this makes any sense to anyone!

Having said all this, for several months I feel I’ve generally been moving in the right direction again, making changes and moving away from the “abyss” (the way I think of depression at it’s worst). No medical practitioners were involved apart from 5 minutes advice on the St. John’s Wort that I’ve been taking for the last 3 months. It’s difficult to tell if this medication has had any benefit in my case, I suspect it has, but the effects are very subtle compared to other medications I experienced in my mid to late twenties. Perhaps the depression has run its course and I would be feeling like this anyway.

I’m sorry I haven’t had much to say, because although I am a good listener and have a lot of personal experience, I don’t feel qualified to give advice. What’s right for me isn’t necessarily right for others - we are all different. I perhaps could benefit from some advice, but I pretty much know what I need to do to “fix me” at the moment. I also find I haven’t got much to say, because my depression has left me going through the motions of life without really having much of a life! - does the expression all bed and work mean anything to anyone!

When I’ve felt lonely and come back to an empty house it’s been nice having the company of people who’ve made me feel welcome, laughed at my jokes and helped me escape for a couple of hours. Thank you all.

……

A motto what I wrote ;) …. “Expect nowt and you wont be disappointed” …. The intonation I use varies from sincere to tongue in cheek, depending on the type of day I’ve had!

sal
29-09-05, 22:16
Hi and welcome to the site. Pleased you have posted and we can all get to know you and help you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

rozza
29-09-05, 22:21
The thing about advice is that it is just that, what works for one person may not for another but by sharing it at least we can find out!!

I hope you feel better and you can get out of the bed/work/bed thing soon, take yourself off and do something you enjoy, I've just discovered yoga and trampolining (and muscles I never knew I had!).

Take care,
Roz

'All I want is to be normally insane' Marlon Brando

Meg
29-09-05, 22:23
Craven,

One of the massive benefits of a site like this is the diversity of experiences and opinions. Someone to click with some one else

*I don’t feel qualified to give advice* just doesn't matter at all. You have been through a rough period and are as qualified by having the tshirt as the next person so please don't let that stand in your way..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
29-09-05, 22:26
Hi Craven

Welcome to the forum.

I think you will find most of us can only go by our own experiences and what we have learned along the way. You are as 'qualified' to give support and advice as anyone here.

Hope you get something out of your time here too.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

trac67
29-09-05, 23:28
Hi Mate,
At last lol, its about time you posted on here, seriously though I am glad you have done it, good on you.
Take care
Trac xx

its "just a thought"

meatybuddy
30-09-05, 06:48
hi craven

welcome to the site and the forums

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I don’t feel qualified to give advice.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

you are just as qualified as the next person to give advice

the ppl here a very good and will help you as much as possible

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

seh1980
30-09-05, 10:07
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

pinkscrumpy
30-09-05, 11:05
Hi Craven

A big warm welcome to you.

Thanks for sharing and look forward to talking with you

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

jill
30-09-05, 12:59
Hi Craven

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

tracyp584
30-09-05, 13:09
Hey Craven,

Welcome to the site,

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

tracyp584
30-09-05, 13:13
Hey Craven,

Welcome to the site,

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Elaine1
30-09-05, 15:55
Hi Craven

A big welcome to the site. Glad you decided to post.

As others have said, many of us, in replying to posts are relying on personal experiences and it is through sharing these that we may all learn from each other and take steps in the right direction - so no qualifications needed - just sharing thoughts etc.

Once again - welcome :D

Elaine

sueiamnew
30-09-05, 18:26
Welcome to the forum Craven.

chucklehound
30-09-05, 18:56
Hi Craven

Welcome to the forum

Take care

Chucklehound xxx