PDA

View Full Version : I agree with you Andrea!

Ruthie88
30-09-05, 04:45
Hi Andrea

I totally agree with you. I don't know the reasons for your treatment, but in my case (panic disorder) you have a specific fear that relates to your symptoms. That fear needs to be addressed, I don't see the point in adding new fears to the equation!

I mean, think about it. Everybody has fears from their childhood. When you are trying to address this crippling fear of anxiety, what is the point of adding to it?

Psychologists are human beings too remember. Don't be afraid to challenge them.

Have you read any books by Claire Weekes? She is wonderful. Just a recommendation.

Anyway, keep up the good work honey.

R.Hartcher

in1peace
30-09-05, 04:56
Thanks Ruthie!
I think my former therapist did not address the panic/anxiety disorder and went for the PTSD first, with neither of us knowing what really caused my traumas in the first place. She's very good and I would still highly recommend her, but not for panic disorder. I think it is sooo helpful to have a therapist who has experienced the disorder themselves personally, or through friends/family. I am here for panic too. My panic started in May and got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night from night-waking panics. Everything has calmed greatly since starting on meds, but I realize I've got to do the work it takes to change my thinking while I'm on the meds, if I'm ever going to have any hope of coming off of them.
I haven't read Claire Weeks, but I will! Have heard loads of good things about her. I read Archibald Hart's 'Anxiety Cure' and that was what helped me stop reeling out of control. Just having someone explain what is happening to you, is so helpful!!
Glad you are here!! :D

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Ruthie88
30-09-05, 05:46
Well, I decided to undertake in a Psychology degree at the start of the year. I am really enjoying it.

The reason I am doing it is because I think any kind of anxiety disorder can be cured - permanently. It is not genetically determined - it is learned. If you learn it you can unlearn it.

I am determined to be able to say I am cured and I will never hit rock bottom again. I feel I am getting there, but I am not sure how long it will take. And you know what? I'm okay with that.

When I can say that I will use my degree to help others because none of us are destined to remain in this hell. What would be better than going to somebody for help and hearing that they understand because they have been there, and they have gotten through it?

Can I make a suggestion? I am currently in the process of composing a list of symptoms that my body experiences when I am highly anxious. Everybodies list is different. Understand your bodies reactions, ask your therapist to explain the actual process your body is going through and when you experience the symptom analyse and try to focus on accepting it and not stopping it. It is just a symptom, it can't hurt you! You have switched on a system in your body, that is all. Try to understand it. It is not the enemy.

As Claire Weekes says, you have experienced the worst, there are no more surprises in store for you! Get famaliar with your symptoms and know that your body will follow that same pattern every time.

I understand how hard it is. I have certainly never experienced such hell. I think that is part of my problem! I was a very lucky child, I received constant reassurance from loving parents and I never really experienced any kind of trauma. Unfortunately, I feel, I wasn't really prepared for the real world.

Oh well, the past is the past. I can't change anything and I don't really want to. I just want to live my life the best way I can. Thats all!!

You will be fine :-)

R.Hartcher

in1peace
03-10-05, 04:40
Hi Ruthie!
Thanks for your messages!
That's a great idea about the symptoms. I will do that. She's done very well explaining the Central Nervous System to me and how to intercept thought processes. I think it is working! I just wish I'd saved her diagrams, she draws them and then I forget them. LOL! It does really help to understand!
Glad to have you around! :D

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)