PDA

View Full Version : Seen my GP about Meds

MikeyT
30-09-05, 15:47
Hi
I've been to see my GP this morning about starting a course of meds to try and break this anxiety cycle I find myself in.
This was the first time I have seen this particular GP, she was recommended to me and to be fair she was good. Took the time to listen and looked at me and not the computer screen as some seem to do.
I went with a list of things to discuss, plus a list of meds that have been highlighted on this forum. She has prescribed me 5mg of Cipralex, she did talk about the possible side effects, like headache, increase anxiety etc, which may occur for the first 7 to 10 days. To help counter act any increased anxiety she has also prescribed 2mg of diazepam.
It was my choice to go down this route, but trying to think of the positive long term benefits and not the short term side effects, that other users on the forum have mentioned.
I have been taking St Johns Wort, which I did tell the GP about, so just need to get this out of my system.
Apart from a varying levels of anxiety at certain time - I don't very often get headaches and I am sleeping well at the moment, so I do have some trepidation about starting the meds.
We shall see how we go.
Cheers all
Mick

Elaine1
30-09-05, 16:23
Hi Mikey

Glad you had a good experience with the gp.

I am on same meds as you, although different dosage, but I too used diazepam as a prop, until cipralex kicked in. Now only taking the cipralex.

By the way, I had no side effects and feel so much better - hope it works for you!

Take Care

Elaine XX :D

desperate
30-09-05, 16:26
Sounds like your GP is quite clued up there.

Good luck!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

MikeyT
30-09-05, 17:47
Thanks for the support - hopefully Elaine - I too won't have any side effects.
The GP was recommended by a friend, who also suffers, not his GP, but he now works with recovering drug and alcolhol abusers, who during their recovery suffer from anxiety and through his clients he had heard how understanding she was.
Mick