PDA

View Full Version : Help with my aniexty Please

nooniegirl
06-08-09, 08:49
I have been having Panic Attacks for the past three months, although I still believe there is actually something wrong with me and the Doctors have in fact missed it.

Since last Friday I haven't had an attack, in fact I've not even had the fear of an attack which is amazing as I have been having attacks morning, noon and night. But this morning I seem to be on edge. I've had a head cold for the past four days and have become obsessed with taking my temperature which is currently between 36.5 - 37.3. I am sure this is the start of something much more serious and now I have odd sensations in my chest. I've called my partner and said I am ill but he is reluctant to come home given it is a cold. My 1 year old is here with me and I am worried something might happen to me.

How can I stop this please help

pammy1944
06-08-09, 08:53
you must have heard this before, noon, you havent got a temp , that seems normal, your chest sensations could be due to anxiety . try to do some relaxation breathing to see if that settles you down ........be gentle with yourself and enjoy your baby ...........good luck xxxx

nooniegirl
06-08-09, 09:00
Thank you I am desperately trying to relax but I have a fear of being on my own in case something happens. I live across the road from and a&e department and I keep walking down there and standing outside in case something happens

I am sick and tired of feeling so out of control

Jaco45er
06-08-09, 09:17
Hiya nooniegirl

You live across the road from A & E? I would have been so jealous of you a few years back ;)

I am not sure how long you have had the anxiety, possibly even since you have had the wee baby (1 yo, that's when you need the eye's in the back of your head) but what you seem to be having is the ole Health anxiety.

Even the slightest pain, symptom has your mind racing off thinking "that's it, the doc's are wrong, I AM SERIOUSLY ILL" and "what if I collapse? what about my baby?"., and other frightening thoughts.

This "thinking" is going to keep you in a spin, all those pesky anxiety causing chemicals are going to be whizzing around your body, giving you chest pains, possibly dizzyness and trust me, 101 other horrible feelings.

Now the good news is (and you have been to the GP) is that you have anxiety, nothing more dangerous or sinister than that, and anxiety? well it's horrible, annoying, distressing even, but harmless ;).

I think you need to start thinking about your thinking, not an easy thing to do on your own, so I would suggest having a word with your GP to see if a course of therapy (CBT for example) might be a good idea.

In the short term, you may find Claire Weekes self help books on anxiety helpful, trust me, if anything they will give you comfort in that everything you are going through is well understood, and many many people have gone before you suffering exactly the same thing.

With health anxiety, GAD, oh hell lets just call it anxiety lol, there is nothing more worrying than thinking you are the only one who has it, everyone around you seems fine, (that thought usually had me screaming WHY ME?) but be assured that many many people get anxiety (anxiety/depression make up a 1/5 of all GP visits I read somewhere) and it is treatable with the right help.

Good luck

Jaco

nooniegirl
06-08-09, 09:39
Thank you it is so reassuring to hear other people tell me it's just ANXIETY

I am having an assessment for CBT tomorrow but I have been told it may take 12 months to be treated :weep:

Well I seem to have warded off a major panic for now although I do have an odd pain in my left breast.....

I'm not sure if being across the road from a&E is a good thing or not!!