PDA

View Full Version : worry hour?

leeann
06-08-09, 14:51
Ive been going to CBT now for, 2 weeks. Tuesday he told me to set my self a time (i choose 8) to worry as much as I can, and not for the rest of the day. I really cant do it :-( how are you suppose to do it, my head is always thinking bad things. xx

lajjj
06-08-09, 14:56
distraction is the only way its really hard to get the hang of it i been in cbt for 2 years i have a worry chair and do all my thinking there. also try writing the worrys down and tell yourself you have wrote them down so u wont forget them. if u feel the worrys come back through the day dont try to force them away let them drift in and out your head but try not to give them any attention i hope this helps it dose get easier i promise xx

Twotone
06-08-09, 14:57
Hi there

I am on my second lot of CBT, first for GAD now for HA, my therapist told me to do exactly the same and like you I can't seem to manage to do it. So far today I have had severe stabbing pains in my temple, feel like I'm being strangled and the left side of my face is numb, I know my anxiety is causing this but its hard to say I'll ignore it when it feels so real.

I think the secret is to keep trying even if you feel its not possible, then hopefully we'll be able to do it without realising.

Good luck to you.
x

Twotone
06-08-09, 15:02
Hi Lajjj

Have just tried that one thanks, have written down what I'm worrying about and will try and forget it for the rest of the day and see how I go.
x

leeann
06-08-09, 15:33
Thank you both for replying. Im going to try writing them down Thanks lajjj. I really sympathise with you twotone. I always get some discomfort, its so hard not to think about it when it feels so real :-( we will get there. I suppose practice makes perfect.

good luck to you both x

teez
06-08-09, 15:56
ive never had cbt ,,but as has already said my heads constantly full of worries,,i think i might have a go at the worry chair,,if not i,ll go back to keeping my diary,,this sorta helped before for me

lajjj
06-08-09, 16:46
i am not yet worry free but i think everyone has worries it shows u care... its the amount of attention you give them i suffered alot in the past with unwanted thoughts i have learned to let them drift in and out of my mind without giving them the attention thry thrive on telling my self whats the worst that could happen?? yeah i know its tempting fate ! but nothing bad has happened so far when i look back i think god what was i so worried about??? good luck!!!