PDA

View Full Version : Vit B12 deficiency

jannnne
06-08-09, 19:30
Hi my daughter has been diagnosed with this, she has had a series of injections and now needs one every 3 months . she still has nearly 2 months to wait till the next one and she if very tired and poorly feeling sick and itching....she is off to docs this Mon has anyone else had this I feel so sad for her she has just started an apprenticeship and is working hard too. she looks awfully pale. sleeping from time she finishes work till morning.:weep:

pb
06-08-09, 21:40
Hi,

I have pernicious anaemia and have b12 injections every 3 months , i have had this for over 10 years and feel fine so long as i have the injections.
To start with i had a course of 5 injections to get my level up to normal.
Maybe your daughter should ask for a blood test to check that her b12 level is now normal.
Hope this helps.

jannnne
06-08-09, 22:22
Yes I think so, she had 6 injections over two weeks and now needs them every 3 months. She felt better for about 1 month but is a lot worse again now.

amandaj
07-08-09, 08:53
i have my injections for this every 3 months also im always tired aswell,i find that when my injections are running out i feel a hundred times worse i also take iron with mine has the dr suggested this ? if not worth mentioning as they do help and keep your levels up

jannnne
07-08-09, 14:13
Thank you I will tell her, its really hard at minute she is 16 and all grown up....she thinks, so I can only advise now not take control.....

mick_uk
07-08-09, 16:03
Hiya,
When I first started injections which i had every 3 months I noticed that I was feeling tired at about the eleven week mark. I told my doc this and they adjusted it so that I now have the injection every 11 weeks instead of thirteen. This has helped a lot.
It may be that your daughter needs them earlier than she is having them at the moment.
It could also be that her body is still recovering from the low b12 postion it was in. In some people it does take a while to get back to the correct level.
Also,they told me that I will still get periods when I feel tired/poorly even though I'm having the injections.
Hope you and your daughter can get it sorted it out.

take care
mick

xfilme
07-08-09, 17:35
Yes, I also have iron deficiency, which is slightly different from b12 (pernicious anaemia) as it is temporary and not due to my haemoglobin production. Mine was stress induced. To be extremely tired is perfectly normal in these circumstances. Mostly due to a lack of oxygen in the blood. I was given Iron tablets to correct mine but even 6 months after it was diagnosed, i am still only seeing avery slow improvement. It is not easy to correct quickly and in may cases the injections will carry on indefinitely. It is no massive deal I assure you as it is very common... especially amongst vegetarians. I would make sure she is on a good healthy protein rich, iron rich diet.

fairyloveheart
08-08-09, 09:07
I have it too. And I think after the initial hit of an injection, a few weeks later the effects subside and I feel rubbish again!!

Josie
09-08-09, 22:36
Hey there! I was diagnosed with it just over 3 weeks ago. Its a very strange thing but one thing that the doctor has reassured me about is the fact that there are no side affects to the injections, as it is purely vitamin B12 which they put in to your body. I find the injection quite painful due to the solution and I feel like I've got a dead are for a few hours afterwards. I'm off for my next injection in the morning as I am currently having 1 a week for 6 weeks and then will go to 1 a month.