PDA

View Full Version : Looking Down

Badly Drawn Boy
06-08-09, 22:34
Was thinking today, how common is it for people with anxiety to constantly look at the floor whilst walking in public?

Went to the supermarket today and I realised I try and avoid eye contact with people, but when I actually look around properly and look at everyone I feel a lot better and think what is all the worry about!

Curious to know if anyone else has found this?

WillyB
06-08-09, 22:46
Im always looking at the floor, i did it a lot when i was very depressed and im doing it now because you can probably guess why. I dont know, it makes it look like you're walking faster and also i find it less strenuous. I never actually look at people when i talk to them come to think of it.

teez
06-08-09, 23:45
i look up now if only to avoid the people that always seem to find me and wanna talk,,when im in a hurry to get home,,,cos im in panic mode lol

krog
07-08-09, 15:54
Hi there.

When I am anxious I try to make a concious effort not to look down.

I tell myself to calm down, relax and then I hold my head up whilst actually slowing my walking pace down. I try to slow my breathing down into a good steady rate.

It might sound daft but I call it my slow-motion remedy :)

It does seem to give my racing mind a chance to catch up with a little rest and also helps calm the situation down for me.

Give it a go. It might help :)

Cheers,
krog