PDA

View Full Version : New to Citalopram and need some help/advice please

Cruzer75
07-08-09, 14:23
Hi There

I've just found this forum and I'll be honest, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see the support you all give each other!! I find the feelings of lonliness one of the worst things because nobody understands.

I've just been prescribed with citalopram 20mg, took 1st one yesterday. I've been on anti depressants before (fluoxetine) but not for a few years now.

Can anybody offer me any advice, hints tips etc on dealing with anxiety attacks. This is the first time I've had them. Always suffered with depression on and off, but never with anxiety. I've done the deep breathing thing, but that doesn't really seem to do much. Some practical advice from the people who know would be great!!

I can't wait till I start feeling better, but I know it'll be a few weeks. Finding this site has been great. I have a sister and mum living nearby but they "don't do depression" and have no desire to try and understand me. I get the "well if you know you're getting depressed, just do something about it" statements. Really helpful eh!!

Anyway, already feels good to be here!! And thanks in advance for any advice offered!!

bencooper1977
07-08-09, 14:57
Hi, I have been on Citalopram now for about 10yrs! Doses ranging from 10mg - 40mg which is my current dose due to a severe episode. Citalopram I feel has saved my life in some ways and I would be happy to take it forever. Ther are some side effects at first I found like sweats etc but after about 2 wks or so it really will start to help. Good luck

Cruzer75
10-08-09, 11:28
Thanks bencooper1977

It's good to know there are people out there!! Thanks for the reassurance re side effects. I'm persevering with them but it's not pleasant at the mo!!

I'll let you know how I get on.