PDA

View Full Version : Bundle branch block

Cococj
07-08-09, 16:10
Well I've just been to see the doctor to get help quitting smoking as it's something I've wanted to do for years but the last serious attempt I made precipitated a period of depressions a few years ago. Given that I'm on Citalopram for my anxiety and panic attacks I felt it was worth getting his help to quit.

Anyway, that's why I actually went, but as it happens he'd got the results back from my ECG which he'd arranged for the palpitations he felt needed investigating after listening to my chest a few months back, he arranged an Echo at the same time though he's yet to see the results for this.

My ECG results say I have a bundle branch block, which I'd never heard of until today. My doctor feels it's not much to worry about as many people have it as normal ("like being born with a big big-toe" he said) but as in some cases it can be indicative of an underlying problem he wants to wait til he sees my Echo results to be sure - though when I went for this at the hospital the guy doing the scan said everything was fine.

So I guess I'm here to ask before I go off googling it (we need a spank emote really so I can spank me for thinking of doing that) is there any reason to worry about this? Does anyone else here have this too? How did you feel about it?

The reason I ask is because I've had several ECG's done at A&E in the past few years and they've always said things were normal. Which I guess could mean that it was medically irrelevant to them or on the other hand it didn't exist and is a new problem.

Just trying to put this into context and not worry. I'm a 31 year old, slim male, who smokes (not for much longer :yesyes:) and I want to know this isn't going to alter my plans to get fitter.

Chris

Mondie
07-08-09, 16:55
I have a friend who has recently been told he has this. He was also told that at least 10% of the population have it and most don't realise.

The doctor have told him that it is not a problem and it does not need any treatment and it is actually classed as normal heart function! So probably explains why your doctors have never bothered to mentio it before.

Well done for not googling though!

*pats Chris on back*

countrygirl
08-08-09, 19:38
Same thing is said of ectopic heartbeats or pvt's. I have had them badly since I was late teenager and loads of tests etc even 4 days of obs in hospital and always told horrible but harmless. I have been told numerous times by Drs that they don't even tell someone if they have them as they are harmless in someone without heart disease. Mine can be as bad as every third beat is a missed beat which is horrible but even when drs have seen this on ecg they say wow thats interseting but medically of no importance!

Cococj
08-08-09, 20:09
Hi countrygirl,

Yeah, I can see your point, both what you're discussing and BBB can be signs of an underlying condition but where they exist by themselves which is most of the time they're not important. As I've just had a clear Echo I think we can rule out valve problems, heart diseases et al, so yeah *slaps self*

I did call my doctor's surgery this morning and got a call back from my actual doctor (not bad considering he's not full time at my surgery) he refused to give me any further information, I can see his point. He said to me "I'd prefer to be honest with you rather than hide things, but if you're going to get anxious over this sort of thing you're putting me in a very tough position."

Interestingly enough BBB can also cause missed beats etc and well, I've not got low BP or slow heart rate. No pain. Don't feel like I'm having a heart attack when I go for a walk. So, yeah, I guess I'll put it down to one of those things and get used to it. Especially as I read this morning Citalopram can cause it anyway.

Put in that sort of context I feel better. I'm 31, about to quit smoking and otherwise fit (or will be when I exercise lol) so I'll try to sleep properly and get on with life. Not always as easy as I just made it sound, but hey the CBT is kicking in lol.

Chris