PDA

View Full Version : media

buffybot
01-10-05, 22:48
hi all

Do you ever find that the newspapers and television add to your depression? they always seem to be about killings and death in one way or the other.Can it be that when down you notice the bad things more or is it that we really do live in a bad society now and that the news people are just showing what is going on around us, and that it is more bad than good :( anyway moan over now [Sigh...]

strawberrie
01-10-05, 23:03
hi buffy

the news is incredibly depressing, but i always try to tell myself that it is 'news' because it is unusual. The media have no reason to report about every day happenings because there is nothing different or sensational in them.

I personally think it is best to avoid newspapers and the tv news, you can still keep informed with what is going on in the world by listening to the news on the radio, and in that way you have no images to depress you and usually the stories are not in too much detail.

I stopped buying papers and watching the news quite a long while ago and definitely feel happier for it.

Take care,
mag xxx

mum2four
01-10-05, 23:51
When I was deep in depression I couldn't watch or hear to listen to any sort of new good or bad. The bad was to hard to deal with cause it was bad and the good was to hard to deal with cause nothing good seem to happen to me. AS I got better I started to put the radio on which I refused to listen to just incase it triggered a mood swing or anxiety attack. I started to watch the new's but would change the channel when i didn't wasnt to hear something. Now the new's and radio rearly have an effect on how I function in daily life. Before it would shut me down for week's or day's or hour's slowly decreaing over time as I learnt to put in perspective. The big tragedies were unavoidable and each one since 9-11 has cause me to put the little one's in perspective and also made me realise how much better I am at dealing with bad new's. Thay have also strangly givin me the strength to fight to be a part of the world in stead of letting people and event ect have power over the choice's I make that negatively impact my life.

I still dont read the new's paper cause I'm ready to deal with 'hard copy's' of bad new's I tend to obsess of something more if it's writing for somereason. If far more easier to put in to perspective and get past it if it's a short lived part of my day.

I thing eventauly as depression get's better and you learn to try to find a positive in every thing that has even a small positive and/or you change the way you deal with and think about the new's you will find your aelf able to deal with more and more new event's.

Daniel
02-10-05, 09:13
I agree the newson tv is terrible, especially the local news (north east) so I avoid them like the plague. I tend to avoid red top tabloids because all the news is either plain awful or how wonderful certain celebrities are looking, both of which I don't really want to know about. I suppose the tv companies and newspaper editors are catering for a market but I find it hard to believe that people actually want to watch/read about bad news all of the time.
As shocking and desperatley sad as the deaths were in London and New Orleans recently the television bosses seemed to give an inordinatley large amount of time covering these stories over several days.

I tend to focus what is going on around me, my family and friends et cetera and watch amusing/educational stuff on tv because I know if I do watch the news it will only drag me down.

'After the rain comes the sun'

Meg
02-10-05, 10:01
Power of suggestion is very strong.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

meatybuddy
02-10-05, 11:17
hi buffy

i agree that news on tv and in the papers can be terribly depressing i do read news papers but i hardly ever watch the news on tv im allways doing something else.

when u are depressed you do seem to notice bad things that happen in life more or so i think anyway. but the news teams allways tend to show the more worst things that can happen because everyday run of the mill stories wont get the viewers to watch

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

rois
03-10-05, 16:43
it can be depressing but i try to turn it around. If I'm having a really bad day and am a bit depressed and something horrific comes on the news eg the bombings in Bali or the boat in NY, I'll say to myself I might be having a bad time but it could be worse, I could be like those people. It's hard to do and it doesn't always work but it might give you a wee bit of hope, cos at least you're living and breathing and you have the strength within you to beat this depression/panic/anxiety. If you wana chat pm me, hope this is useful for you

"Ther goes the fear, let it go. You turn around and life's passed you by, you look to those you love to justify...there goes the fear."

Sue K with 5
03-10-05, 17:24
One of my fears years ago was hearing of wars and war killings, it used to leave me feeling cold and anxious.

I ended up not watching the news for quite a while, so to help me get over my fear of things I started to watch the local news, just general stuff and then gradually built up to watching main news channels.

We cant run away from reality no matter how depressing it is, my advise watch a comedy straight after hearing something sad, works wonders for me

sue with 5

scknight