PDA

View Full Version : My Throat is closing up

Brownie
11-01-04, 23:52
When i have an attack i usually feel like my throat is closing up its a very frightening feeling which makes the panic attack worse and worse. I have to constantly have a cup of water and a straw with me throughout the day that i keep drinking so i know my throught is'nt closing it's crazy i know, but i was wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way.
Thanks
-Christie[:I]

apricot
12-01-04, 00:01
Hi Christie,

I had that a few years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night and felt like a lump in the throat. It really freaked me. I used to wake up gasping for breath because I thought my throat would close and then didn't want to go to sleep, incase it did! It is another sign of anxiety but just get it checked by GP. I finally got over it. I still get it now and again, but now just let it pass.

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

Meg
12-01-04, 00:37
Christie,

It's one of the most common symptoms of all . It will not close up as it's architechurally impossible ! It is just not a valid concern but it does have a good name 'globus hystericus '

It goes with relaxation, you can almost feel it dissolving away. A good squirt of rescue remedy can help as well as a stronge mint and you're already there with the water.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

bananarbabe
12-01-04, 01:21
Hi Christie,

I notice that I have that feeling when I cry about something and try to hold my tears in. The water is really helpful. Also, I suck on a cough/throat drop. It gives you a feeling like your throat is opening up.

Chris

Laurie28
12-01-04, 12:57
Hiya Christie,

this was the 1st anxiety symptom that I had. i went to the doctors and got anti-biotics and inhalers b4 I finally was told (and admitted to myself )it was anxiety. hang on in ther it does get better with time

Love
lucky