PDA

View Full Version : Skin Obsession

pants_fairy
02-10-05, 10:46
I have taken intense care of my skin since the age of 14 and I am 18 now. It was almost over night that I got obsessed with keeping it perfect. I exfoliate, use creams, gels, cleansers. Everything I do revolves round my skin. If my skin doesn't look its best, I wont go out until it does. It has taken over my life and I cant seem to break free from it. It has made me very depressed and I'm on anti-depressants because of it. I found counselling and psychologists didn't work. I feel I'm the only one with this problem and I feel very alone because no body seems to understand. If I attempt to go out when my skin doesnt look perfect, I have a panic attack. I'm at a loss of what to do. Could anyone help or advise me? I want my life back.:(

mum2four
02-10-05, 11:12
What is the medication are you taking for your depression.

I was given Zoloft for my depression 5 year's ago but I recently put Lovox(fluvoxamine maleate) for anxiety which is a antidepresant/OCD med.

Have the Dr's given you any idea if it's a compulsion/obsession or just some thing you have to learn to change your thinking ect.

pants_fairy
02-10-05, 11:19
They think its interlinked with stuff thats happened to me in the past, and its like a comfort zone for me. And that I over evaluate stuff. I've been put on loads of different medication, lofepramine, atarax, zispin, im on a new one now but i cant remember what its called, only been on it for a few days. I cant stand relying on medication, everytime Ive tried to come off them, my mood plumets and get I suicidal. Its very frustrating, be nice to feel normal. :(

mum2four
02-10-05, 11:31
Do you know if any of them are use to treat OCD or have fluvoxmine in them.

I worth asking if there a med that thay can try with you that might treat the depression and anxiety amd the itching if your not already on or have tryed a med that is use to control obsession and compultion's. I was just put on the Luvox for my anxiety and i dont did tell my Dr about my the scratching habbit as well but he never said anything about it posiably helping th habbit. I cant wait to talk to about when I go back. I feel so much more at peace from just having control over that part of my life.

I hope you find you find your anwser so you can have peace from you habbit as well.

pants_fairy
02-10-05, 11:33
thank you :) i will definatly have a word with my doctor next time i go see him. Im due for a check up soon.

Thank you for your time and advice :)

Luv jess xx