PDA

View Full Version : Claire Weekes virgin

Blair
02-10-05, 12:56
I have just received 'Self help for your nerves' this morning and I'm going to start reading it very soon. I have never EVER even opened a self help book in my life and never thought I would but I'm at the stage where I'll give anything a shot.

Has anyone found this book helpful ? I've heard great things

I've started this thread to give you my opinion and how it has affected me after reading it, I don't think of myself as very impressionable so I'm starting off as a staunch skeptic thats willing to open up

Wish me luck [8D]

tygwyn
02-10-05, 13:06
You will LOVE this book!!

I had never read a self help book prior to reading this either so was also a virgin!

I have this book by the side of my bed now and as soon as I feel I am starting to lose grip of my recovery or just need a bit of reassurance then out comes the book. At the moment I read it every day - the same things over and over again.

The book is written as though she is speaking directly at you and really is excellent. It doesn't make you feel worse (like some things online do) - it makes you feel as if this is something you can deal with and recovery will be your final reward.

Good luck with the book. Let us know what you think of it.

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Meg
02-10-05, 13:08
Some Quotes by Claire Weekes - update (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5502)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

sueiamnew
02-10-05, 14:03
Very good book Blair.

I cried all the way through at how true it was. I also gave it to my family to read so they could understand a bit more.

Let us know how you find it.

Sue

chucklehound
02-10-05, 16:13
Hi Blair,
I have read the book over and over and each time I learn something new. I hope you find it as good as I have.
Hope you are feeling better soon
Bye for now
Chucklehound
xxx

desperate
02-10-05, 17:53
I got it on Saturday and i like it so far.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Blair
03-10-05, 17:42
I really like it so far and it also helps my girlfriend understand what I'm going through.

I'm not as chronic as some of the cases described in the book, I've had most of the symptoms at one time or another but my main one is panic spasms. The book has shown me not to fight the panic but let it come, although this is really tricky I'm sure I'm gonna master it. If I feel bad, I just let the feelings course through me and it's then you realise that it's never as bad as the first few seconds and it's never as bad as you think it's going to be. All my instincts are screaming for me to move and fight it but I'm learning to hold firm because as soon as you break the cycle of being afraid of being afraid that's the only time you can get better. The book asks you to float through it and that is a great way of describing it. Panic can do you no harm whatsoever but still it holds your life in an iron grip. I'm now trying to prize open that grip. I don't expect to be back to normal in weeks, even months, I'll just keep taking it step by step until it finally goes because now I have the belief that it will.

tracyp584
03-10-05, 17:56
Hey,

I also have just started the book, and really like it. I understand her techniques its just trying to put into practice that is the hard bit. Trying to just float through it is hard, its the whole trusting yourself to allow yourself to just float.

I definately like her style of writing, and find it easy to read.

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Blair
03-10-05, 18:21
Yeah I must point out there is no easy answer in this book, no quick way of jumping straight out of panic but it can focus your mind in the right direction and if you really really want it the road to recovery can start with this books clear guidance.

To be honest even if you can't quite master the 'floating/letting go' part or if you think that sounds too much then a I would still recommend reading this book because there is a lot of comfort to be gained by hearing a voice that understands what you are going through. If you have never experienced panic (like most people close to me) then it's always in the back of your mind that although they have genuine sympathy, they don't really understand how terrifying it can be. I had a little smile to myself when I read about all the case stories and saw traits of myself in them and that makes you realise that anyone, no matter how long or far gone they might think they are can be brought back into a normal life.

tygwyn
03-10-05, 18:21
Glad to hear you're enjoying the book Blair (my bible as I call it!). You've certainly got the right attitude for recovery - slowly but surely.

Good luck

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)