PDA

View Full Version : babies skin

LisaLisa
10-08-09, 15:20
Hi there

Wondered if anyone could tell me if they have ever noticed or heard on this.

My daughter is nine months onld and since she was about six months she has had little pimple like spots and a kind of redness on her cheeks. It is not very noticable although it goes redder when she is hot. I noticed that she has it a little on her arms now too.

I asked the dr and he said that it is sebhoracious dermatitis - dont think thats spelt right, and its caused by the same thing as cradle cap.

Well im really worried becuase i know that a low immune system causes it and i worry about hiv, evern though tests are negative becuase i notice symptoms in myself.

I have never noticed any symptoms in her before but now i am scared.

Has anyone ever noticed their or anyones baby having this and does anyone think that there is a problem?

Also i am very worried becuase i noticed that she has little bruise on her thigh and worrying incase thats a sign too and her blood cells are low

aaaaaahh!!

Anyone?

Lisa
xxxx

Stressed32
10-08-09, 16:38
Hi Lisa.....I came to see how you have been.....but I guess you r not doing to good today. Hun....u know this is unrealistic right? Baby girl does not have HIV cause you don't have HIV. They would have found it in both of you when you were prego because they would have wanted you to take meds to save her. Think about it...they screen it. Second, this is not a symptom of HIV.....and HIV symptoms don't come one at a time....she'd be really sick if she were showing any symptoms from HIV. Bruising and HIV? Honey...if that alone were a symptom of HIV..every human on the planet would need a test cause we all bruise. Bruising does not indicated low blood cells! My blood cells were normal and I brusied from them taking my blood! People bruise...HIV or not. Baby girl is fine and so are you...relax....

Did you get any good books to read at work? I read 3 really good ones in the car ride for our trip. One of them the hubby had to choose to follow his wife's living will and pull her from life support after 6 weeks of being in a coma or ignore her wishes and keep her alive. He chose to keep her alive....and 3 weeks later she came out of the coma! It was a good story! Let me know how ur doing ok hun.
Stressed

IllegallyBlond
10-08-09, 16:52
Hi Lisa. I have a baby that just turned one. She had those bumps too. Are you sure they aren't milk bumps? Or some form of heat rash? I'm constantly worrying about my kids too, but we got to think the simplest things or our minds will get the best of us. As for the bruise, it could have happened during a diaper change, or if she's starting to crawl, or walk, she could have bumped it on something. If I worried about bruises I'd be in a world of trouble. My son is the biggest klutz going. He has new bruises everyday. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. You took her to the doctor, and if the doctor slightly thought that it was something serious I'm sure he would have done more tests. Also Stressed is right. They do an HIV test on you when your pregnant, so if you don't have it, she don't have it. I know it's easier said than done, but quit worrying so much about your beautiful baby, and enjoy her. They grow up way to fast.
:hugs:

LisaLisa
10-08-09, 16:58
Hi Lisa. I have a baby that just turned one. She had those bumps too. Are you sure they aren't milk bumps? Or some form of heat rash? I'm constantly worrying about my kids too, but we got to think the simplest things or our minds will get the best of us. As for the bruise, it could have happened during a diaper change, or if she's starting to crawl, or walk, she could have bumped it on something. If I worried about bruises I'd be in a world of trouble. My son is the biggest klutz going. He has new bruises everyday. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. You took her to the doctor, and if the doctor slightly thought that it was something serious I'm sure he would have done more tests. Also Stressed is right. They do an HIV test on you when your pregnant, so if you don't have it, she don't have it. I know it's easier said than done, but quit worrying so much about your beautiful baby, and enjoy her. They grow up way to fast.

Hi Stressed 32 , going to PM you dear

Illegally Blond, thanks very much for your reply. Its good to hear that someone elses little angel had them too. It is soooooo hard not to turn the HA onto her. I usually do okay, but just getting abit worked up today I think. She had croup last week and I think thats what started me off again!!

She is crawling and as you say there has been a lot of opportunity for her to bump her little leg. I suppose she would be covered if there was a problem....

gosh.....i am officially a nightmare!!

Thanks again , hope your doing okay

Lisa
xxxxxx:hugs:

IllegallyBlond
10-08-09, 17:13
No your not a nightmare, just a Mom. We'll worry about our kids no matter how old, or whether we have HA or not. I've been there with the Croup too. My oldest gets it bad. It makes you feel so helpless. I'm glad your doing better now. I'll talk to you the next time one of us needs advice.

MandySlade
10-08-09, 17:28
My cousin's baby had those all over her face. The doctor said it was "baby acne". To save you from google I'll give you this paragraph from one website:

"Baby pimples (http://www.christianet.com/health/acnecures.htm) generally appear within 3 or 4 weeks after a baby is born and is evidenced by small red bumps or whiteheads across the cheeks, forehead and chin. Milia, or hard white pimple like bumps are also typical appearances on about 40% of newborn's faces immediately after birth, but are not considered acne. Occurring in about 20% of all children, real acne on babies is a result of the mother's hormones coming in contact with the placenta just before birth. The sebaceous glands are activated in a newborn and an excessive amount of oil begins to be produced on the baby's skin. Until a natural oil balance is achieved, some infants may have recurring skin problems until around 6 months of age. This is consternation to many parents who want to have beautiful pictures of their little darlings. A word of advice...parents should take a lot of good pictures the first month!"

and since she's a little older than that, heres this one:

"There are other kinds of acne that can develop on a newborn after a few months. One type is called infantile acne which develops after 3 or 4 months. These baby pimples are yellow and usually are found on the cheeks and nose. Some babies also have blackheads and whiteheads as well. This type of skin condition usually goes away when a child is a year old, but sometimes may last as long as up to 3 years. The cause is related to original traces of the mothers hormones still present. Most of these conditions clear up on their own without any special treatment protocols."

So, most likely, it is just her oil glands balancing themselves out. No biggie. :)

MandySlade
10-08-09, 17:34
I wanted to add it could also be infant eczema. I'd take her to the doc just to be sure incase you need some sort of cream or something for it, but I would NOT worry. Almost all these rashes on babies are related to the body balancing itself out and are incredibly common and normal. Even eczema is common and is almost always NOT caused by anything in particular. Same with sebaceous dermatitis. Hell, I HAVE sebaceous dermatitis. I've had it my entire adult life, but people can have it as babies and then -not- have later as well.

"Seborrheic dermatitis may start in infancy as cradle cap. It affects the scalp as thick, crusty, yellow scales. Children usually outgrow it by age 3 and do not normally get seborrheic dermatitis. Cradle cap is not contagious, it is not caused by poor hygiene, it is not an allergy, and it is not dangerous."

LisaLisa
11-08-09, 10:21
Aw thanks so much girls.

Mandyslade that stuff you copied was really helpfull, thanks very much. :yesyes:
Do you have it then as well? I have noticed that I have it on the backs of my arms and a little and some on my cheeks? Its like skin that sometimes looks red and a bit rougher than the rest and they are little bumps in it and occiasionally little white pimples appear? Is yours the same?

Sorry!!

Lisa
xxxx:hugs:

LisaLisa
11-08-09, 10:23
Illegaly blond, your rights it is super hard to not worry worry worry about them isnt it!

The same applies to you luv, anything stresses you about kids we'l talk!!

Thank you so much for your answers

Lisa
xxxxxx:hugs:

MandySlade
13-08-09, 06:28
Aw thanks so much girls.

Mandyslade that stuff you copied was really helpfull, thanks very much. :yesyes:
Do you have it then as well? I have noticed that I have it on the backs of my arms and a little and some on my cheeks? Its like skin that sometimes looks red and a bit rougher than the rest and they are little bumps in it and occiasionally little white pimples appear? Is yours the same?

Sorry!!

Lisa
xxxx:hugs:

I get raised red patches which sometimes itch and eventually start to flake. I get them mostly on my neck (the back and sometimes sides), and near my groin. Sometimes I will get them on my eyelids or armpits. I've been to the derm and she said it's likely a combination of seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis.