PDA

View Full Version : Shingles.

Nicky123
10-08-09, 16:03
hello.. I have had a really good week and today Ive just gone down hill.

My poor mother has just been diagnosed with shingles under her breasts. My worry is that yesterday I was at my mothers house with my four year old daughter who has not had chicken pox. We fly to america in two weeks to visit our family and now I am terrified she gets chicken pox. She didn't really go near my mum until we were saying goodbye and she kissed my mum on the cheek. Im pretty sure you can get chicken pox off someone who has shingles is that right? The air line would not let us fly if she got it. its took us two years to save for this flight.

ElizabethJane
10-08-09, 16:46
Someone at work has had shingles recently. It is less likely for you to catch chicken pox from someone who has shingles but it is possible. They would have to be in contact with some of the fluid fron the blisters. Chicken pox is highly contagious and is spread by coughing and sneezing. The virus is the same for each. If you have had chicken pox then some of the virus is stored in the spinal chord. If our immune system is depleted then we are more likely to catch shingles. I suggest that you have a chat with your GP but for now stop your child kissing your mums face. I hope you all get to America and have a great time.