PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and Sertraline

Sketchesofwinter
10-08-09, 20:02
Hi everyone, I've been prescribed Sertraline for anxiety/depression (100mg a day) and took my first tab on Sat. I felt pretty ok but got up this morning and ended up having a severe anxiety attack whilst waiting for my train. I've never had felt anxiety this intense before, it was the most frightening experience of my life. My doctor said my symptoms could get worse before they get better but this seems really extreme. Is this normal? I really dont know whether I should take my tablet today.
Thanks
Sarah xx

nomorepanic
10-08-09, 20:13
Hi Sarah

Yes is it normal I am afraid and the side effects could last a few weeks.

Panic33
02-09-09, 22:55
I had a panic attack the first night I took, then one on day four, Im now on day 6 and had a couple of panic attacks today - I'm hoping its just the Sertaline

KK77
02-09-09, 23:41
Hi
That's a high dose to start on - the usual starting dose is 50mg po daily. If you have another panic attack you should go back to your GP and maybe have the dose lowered.
I started taking 50mg a week ago and feel OK apart from a bit of anxiety...
Mel77

twhitetina
09-01-10, 22:01
Yes this is normal I just started back on it and had a panic attack the first day and I was so scared it was intense for me too like my blood was boiling I almost went to the er. But after I calmed down i was fine. I was on it for three years and looking back it was like that last time till it kicked in then I still had a attacks but way way less i felt back to how I used to be, normal. Give it a chance.

keleb0709
11-01-10, 12:13
Hey there.
100mg is a massive starting dose! I have used this drug many times in the past and it is definately one which should be increased slowly. The last time i was on it was last year when i first began to experience Panic attacks rather than just GAD and depression. The attacks were so bad that i felt the rush heat up and even give me a bad taste in my mouth! Really and truly terrifying stuff. I was shocked because i knew it was the sertraline making it worse but didn't understand because it had been wonderful for me in the past??? I figure if you have adrenaline going on already then it is not helpful. Perhaps persistance is the key but i was not willing to go through panic as bad as that again! I much prefered the milder ones i had naturally. I am now on the road to being çured and owe it all to reading, educating myself and acceptance. I still have the symptoms although i do not get panic attacks anymore. Hang in there and read as much about your condition as possible, learning and acceptance is the key :)

Jenny
11-01-10, 15:24
I agree with the others on this one. I was given 50mgs to start with then up to 100mgs after 2mnths or so. I am fine with them now. No problem at all.

Jenny

MentalCombat
12-01-10, 12:20
Hi there,
I was on these for time, years ago, they are good, but i recently have been prescribed them again, i took one and within 2 hours felt like shit, real bad sweats and dizzy ike mad, i did not take any more, i am not using them i will make it right in m head and use st johns wort as german GP s prescribe these instead of prozac and the likes. my sons crashing their motor bikes and really bad injuries has put me in a dark shitty place, and im a therapist for gods sake, just goes to shoe eh, we are all at risk from it. you take care, maybe a lower dose to start with as i had the 100mg maybe 50 would be good, or half it in the morning and half at night so 25mg am 25mg pm then when in your system 50 in morning for a week and then 100mg full dose.see yer dr eh, good luck.
shaun.