PDA

View Full Version : Question about 'accepting' not 'fighting'

tygwyn
03-10-05, 18:29
Hi guys

I was just wondering what everyone elses interpretation of 'accepting' our symptoms rather than 'fighting' them was (as quoted by Claire Weekes!).

The reason I ask this is that when I feel a rush of anxiety and panic coming over me now I don't fight it but what I do do is breath deeply and calmly until it passes. Is this accepting or fighting? What do you think?

cheers

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

pinkscrumpy
03-10-05, 18:39
Hi Rach

To me that seems like accepting. Well done to you. Keep with it.

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Meg
03-10-05, 18:42
Perfect..

tammyg
03-10-05, 18:44
Hi Rach,

a very interesting question! It very much sounds like accepting.

It's hard to know the difference though.

I was in a situation at work today which made me very anxious and although my head was accepting the situation my body wasn't!! It looked and felt like panic although this didn't seem possible because in my head I was doing all the positive affirmations you're supposed to, as well as the breathing.

Can you have one without the other??

Tam x

desperate
03-10-05, 19:05
It the not thinking oh god stop it stop it! etc etc!

Sounds like you are text book!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

ANXIETY26
03-10-05, 20:01
Well done Rach.

Keep it up.

Im finding the book helpful too. Thanks to you :)

nomorepanic
03-10-05, 21:04
You have it just right.

It is a case of telling yourself that it won't harm you and you are safe and ok, rather than fighting the panic and making yourself even worse cos you get more panicky.

I think if you can master that it then it will really help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

tygwyn
03-10-05, 21:20
Thanks everyone!

I'm feeling a bit more positive about my approach now. I wasn't sure whether I had it quite right or not!

Anxiety26 - glad to hear the book is helping you - keep it to hand at all times - I read mine most days just to remind myself that I'm not the only one to have gone through this and that recovery will be my reward!

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)