PDA

View Full Version : Worried about work

ANXIETY26
03-10-05, 20:16
I have been off work now for 10 months with anxiety. I worried how long my employers are willing to keep my position open for. I dont know why but I feel guilty because I feel I should be at work. I have been with the company for ten years now and they are fully aware of my problems and have been very supportive. I went through a period of anxiety about 3 years ago and took time off work. Im not sure they quite understood what I was suffering with and they eventually made me redundant. I made a real big push and they accepted me back part time, and even apologised for making me redundant as they could see I was really trying hard although I was struggling. I've contacted them regarding my situation this time around and they said they would all sit down and discuss it and come back to me. This was about a month ago now and I've had no reply. Another thing that worries me is the fact that I have only had one job and to try starting somewhere else when I get better would make it twice as hard for me.

tygwyn
03-10-05, 21:15
This is a difficult one but its a problem that you really need to try and put out of your mind at the moment. Not easy I know but you really need to be focusing on yourself and your recovery. Are you able to go into work at all and discuss it with them or would that be too difficult for you at the moment? Is there anything that you could maybe do from home which would show them that you are willing to work but its just that you're finding it difficult to leave the house etc. What line of work are you in?

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Daniel
03-10-05, 22:23
Hi Anxiety26

I was in a very similar situation to you last year. I had taken some time off work about 4 years ago and it was my first job proper. After the first bout of time off I went back to work and everything seemed okay. This time last year I just resigned after being off on the sick for about a month. During that time work was going round and round in my head.
I came to the conclusion that I would never feel any better while I was working full-time, I'd be fit for no job if I carried on the way I was going (panic attacks and depression) and the fact that everyone knew why I had been on the sick the last time. It was my psychiatrist that had suggested a change in jobs.

I thought that I would never find another job as I had been working for my pevious firm since I was 15. Within 2 months I had 3 part-time job offers which gave me quite a confidence boost.
With hindsight I wished I had given it a few months before I found myself a new job as it would have given me some time to work on myself with the cbt.
At the end of the day no job is worth worrying over when it is being detrimental to your health and hampering your recovery. Well that's the way I see it anyway.

'After the rain comes the sun'

BrandyK
04-10-05, 05:23
Hi,

I had the same problem I thought that I could never work again... Then what would I do... I forced myself to go to work everyday! And I did it!!

Brandy

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." -- Mark Twain

Dan
04-10-05, 10:50
hi
i was fortunate enough to be too poor not too work as i have a mortgadge to pay soo i had too force myself to work after a week off last year ( i dont get sick pay)and also recently and its the best thing i did as being busy helps me so much , its as if i dont have time to focus on the panic and it somehow lessens i still struggle but just get on and have some good days ( usually when they are filled up )
hope you find strenght to go back easier said than done but doable( i think i made that word up )
take care
dan

ANXIETY26
04-10-05, 11:24
Thanks for the advice. It's the getting to work bit that bothers me. I suppose I'd be ok once I got there. It's such a big hurdle though.

nomorepanic
04-10-05, 13:57
Anxiety

Firstly I would call them and explain that you need to know what is going on and whether your job is safe etc?

As for getting to work could you maybe use this time now to practise getting there each day. Just a bit further each time until you feel comfortable. You may be surprised that you can get further than you thought. Try to think of it as going to the dentist again as that seemed to work well for you.

Once you get to work then you can make it "your safe place" and start to relax a bit more.

I hope you can work something out.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

bones
05-10-05, 15:11
I too find it a struggle getting to work espcially if we have to attend a course my biggest fear being shut in a room with strangers. I find work has helped me because if i stayed at home i would find it so hard to return. I make my work area a comfort zone so i feel at home and surround my desk with personal items. Also i find emailing friends who know or share my problem helps during the day.
All the best

andy

Hannahlou84
05-10-05, 17:00
If you are ready to get back to work, and are not ready for a new start, then it might be an idea to call them sooner rather than later. Surely if you have had no contact saying that you are not welcome back within these 10 months, this seems promising.

I think it might be better for you to know what's going on either, before you can think it through properly, and I am sure have made enough progress to be able to do quite well with getting to work in the main, if you feel ready to go back at all! [^]

Good luck, and make the call if you can,

Hannah

"Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me"

ANXIETY26
09-10-05, 14:59
I've had some good news regarding the job situation. They've told me to concentrate on getting better and that my position will always be available. Good Hey! :)

Hannahlou84
09-10-05, 16:08
Wow. That's really awesome!!

Well done. They must think a lot of you!!

"Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me"

desperate
09-10-05, 20:57
Hey that is great!!!!!

Who do you work for, I need a job there?! lol

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Meg
10-10-05, 15:18
Good news.

You can start to aim towards maybe popping in to see them for a few minutes and when you're ready to just go back for a couple of hours at at time

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Dan
10-10-05, 22:09
what an understanding employer
now that is a positive to focus on ! now you no where you stand and have a goal to acheive
good luck
dan

Karen
11-10-05, 07:03
Great news anxiety26. Now you can concentrate on your recovery without worrying about your job.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.