PDA

View Full Version : Alone

Brownie
12-01-04, 02:37
Hi all, for the past few months as my panic has been very severe, I been having this crazy fear of being home by myself, In a store by myself just about anywhere by myself. If I wake up in the morning and no one is home in my house i freak out, call someone and have them come home (sounds crazy I know). I just have this fear of having an attack while no one is there with me. Has anyone ever felt this way?
Thanks
-Christie[:I]

Buby
12-01-04, 02:41
hi brownie.

i used to have a fear of being alone and used to do the exact same things as you. But the more i was alone the better i got. I am still a little frightened of being alone but not so much. and when ever you start to feel lonely you can always post things on here cause im on here nearly all the time.

hope you get over this fear soon.

hugs Rachel xx

Brownie
12-01-04, 05:19
Thank you rachel it really does help to know other people feel the same.
-Christie

Meg
12-01-04, 15:48
Christie,

This is very commom indeed. Most outgoing people like to be with people during difficult times, most people who were happier on their own get too embarrassed to have anyone witness a panic attack so prefer to battle it out alone.

The way to get over it is to make small steps to independence.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
12-01-04, 21:21
It's not silly at all Christie.
At sometime or another we have all had the same feelings.

I hate to be left alone for too long, I think the longest I have been left alone is 2 hours, but it's a start.

I was told a little trick by my CPN, when you are going to be left alone, do something.
Make a sandwich, a cup of tea, a glass of juice or wash the dishes. It will help to distract you from the thoughts. It will get better but it will take time and practice.

Love and Light
Liz xxx

Panic Monster & Scatty Excentric

uryjm
12-01-04, 22:42
I think this is a very common fear - as Meg says above, it can depend on your personality type. Extroverts fear being alone (do they exist if nobody's around to reassure them?) and introverts like space to themselves (they can control the enviroment then)! The author Dorothy Rowe explores this in great detail if you're interested. Otherwise gradual exposure to your fear might be appropriate. Let it do it's worst while breathing deeply, thinking positively and trying to relax. Nothing terrible will happen (and certainly nothing more terrible than what you're currently going through). Find someone who'll support you and work through this with them - i.e. they agree to leave you in the house and return after fifteen minutes. Good luck.

Jim

Hears The Water
14-01-04, 03:57
Brownie, I know where you are coming from. I do not like being home by myself either. Just in the last two years I enroled my children in a weeknight church class and then in a Home school co-op. So I have been having to be alone for a couple hours at a time. It has been hard. But it is do-able. The kids have seen me have panic attacks many many times. But my fear is that I would become ill or have a heart attack or something when I am alone. (I also fear the same thing out in public) So having the kids here is kind of a saftey thing for me. But in reality I would never want my kids to have to be put thru the trauma of having to call an ambulance or anything. I think for me personally it is one of the things I do to feel safe. But, you my dear are not alone. (sorry about the pun) I be there are a lot of us out there that hate to be alone when we have a panic attack.
God Bless you and yours
Debbie

emo
15-01-04, 00:52
hi brownie,
ive only been posting on this site for the last week and already i feel better just knowing that other people know how i feel.
although i have no fear of been alone i find that the panic attacks i have when i am alone are the most scary.
i try to make sure that i keep my mobile phone near me at all times then if i need help i can call someone.
love em xxx

Laurie28
15-01-04, 13:02
Brownie,

I went through this fear when my anxiety 'peaked'.

It never bothered me being alone b4 the 'bad' anxiety kicked in in fact I liked it!!
but when i was at my worst my partner had to take time off from work as i was absolutely terrified.
It does pass and now I am pleased to say i am back to liking my own company again and not botherting about being 'home alone'

Love
lucky

broadwaybaby6149
18-01-04, 19:46
I think i MIGHT have a VERRRRY slight fear of being alone- its not a full panic attack, and i know that i dont have a disorder or anything, but as im falling asleep i always feel like someones watching me or is in the room when they're not, or that something is going to happen to me. so i just bury myself under the covers and fall asleep. and when im home alone, i hear noises (which i know happens to everyone) but then i get nervous that somebodys breaking in. i always have to have the radio or tv or a cd on so it doesnt feel like im alone...

~*~*~Danielle~*~*~

vengababe2003
26-01-04, 22:12
Hiya,
Sorry for taking so long to post to this message.
I have those feelings, I am petrified of being alone in the house.
I have to check daily if any of my neighbours are going to be in that day, I'm always looking out the window to check no one is going out of the building. Even if I know someone is in the building I still feel panic starting and have to jump up and down and say to myself. THERE IS SOMEONE IN, I've even found my self phoning my neighbour and putting the phone down when she answers, just to make myself feel better knowing she is in.
Best wishes Donna aka Venga