PDA

View Full Version : Home BP monitor - faulty?

boogal
12-08-09, 16:50
Following on from my other posts on blood pressure, I've been monitoring it throughout today and it is consistently high, but I'm wondering if the Braun wrist monitor I use is faulty (I hope it is!).

Does anybody know how to tell if the monitor is on the blink? Mine pumps up around the wrist, then deflates, then pumps up again another once or twice before it gives a reading. It never used to do that - it just pumped once and gave the reading. I've been very careful about positioning and fastening on the wrist. It did the same when my hubby, tried it, too. The batteries are new this morning. Can't find any info on Dr Google on how to tell when these things are malfunctioning.

Any thoughts?

nomorepanic
12-08-09, 17:39
The wrist ones aren't as accurate as the arm ones apparently and the best way to know that the readings are accurate is to take it to the docs with you and compare the readings with the ones he gets.

What are the readings and how often are you taking it?

boogal
12-08-09, 18:05
My readings today are around 179/110. Usually my readings change over the day, and vary from around 138/84 upwards, with an occasional normal one (120/80) at rest in the late evening, but today they've been consistently high. I've taken it about six times today, resting for about 5 mins beforehand.

Of course, now the readings are high, so is my anxiety ...

I'm seeing the doc on Friday and I'll take the monitor with me.

This style of monitor is very noisy when it pumps, which I don't think lowers my anxiety. And of course, I worry when I'm about to take it in case it's high. Vicious circle.

mick_uk
12-08-09, 18:41
Hiya boogal,
I took my arm BP monitor with me the docs about a year ago and mine was quite an expensive one yet it was reading 10/15 higher than the nurses one.
The sound of the blood thumping through the armband isnt a pleasant sound either.
Gives you a rough guide though as long as you don't overdo using it