PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about panic attacks

gemma_b
13-08-09, 11:45
Hi,

Im new to the forum and was wondering if someone could help me??

I had a stressful life event about a year ago and during that time i had numerous panic attacks. I still get the occassional one now.

However after doing some research im not sure they are panic attacks.

I lose feeling and control of my legs usually and go dizzy and callapse, however i do not pass out but am very withdrawn, am unable to move or speak. Its like i am trapped in my body. I can hear and see things but i am detached from everything around me. Usually after a few minutes (sometimes longer) this passes and i start to hyperventilate and cry. I then calm down.

Its not a nice experience and i thought it was a panic attack but im really not sure.....

Has anyone else experienced this?? or could anyone give me their thoughts about what it is?

Thanks x

ladybird64
13-08-09, 12:26
HI Gemma, welcome to the forum.

What you have described certainly sounds like panic attacks, although I haven't actually collapsed with mine I know that others have...I note that you don't actually passout though?
I would suggest having a check up with your GP just to rule out any physical problems but I think it is down to anxiety, particularly as they have occurred since the traumatic event.
I'm sure your GP can give you some guidance, you will also find tons of help and advice here, we know how disturbing panic can be.
Don't forget to have a look at previous posts on Panic and also the advice section under the main menu.

Take care :flowers:

cathytink3rb3ll
13-08-09, 13:51
Hi Gemma,

If I cant control mine I normally collapse - but this usually makes me faint but then I come around after a few seconds...
But everyone has different ones - might be an idea just to have a check up though - I had various blood tests, injections and even an endoscopy until they realised it was panic attacks... but its worth doing just so you know :)

xx

mandie
13-08-09, 14:05
Hi

It does sound like panic attacks to me.

Have u been to your gp?

mandie x

gemma_b
13-08-09, 15:26
Thanks everyone for your advice, its nice to hear im not alone :)

No i havent been to the GP, if they continue i would consider it but as i have overcome the traumatic period i have found they do not bother me too much now. Just had a few this year, and i have found they are connected to issues around this event. I except they wont be the last but just to be aware what they are is comforting.

Im not anxious about these attacks and try to understand the reasons why i have these episodes.