PDA

View Full Version : please help - new member

honey
04-10-05, 21:04
I have recently started taking citalapram and did getsome side affects a first in creased anxiety, dry mouth.

Unfortunatly 3 and 1/2 weeks i did feel better and stupidly went on a night out with a lot to drink and the next day had an almighty panic attack and also came down with gastroenteritis with acute dioriah for a week. I started feeling more anxious and has felt like some one was pinching my face now and again... It has been about 9 days since the dioriah hasstopped and I have still been taking my tablets but I was feeling terribly anxious again it is slowly easing but I am still quite highly strung,,,,, Do you think the dioriah made my tablets come out of my system and I am just going through the side affects again or do you think they are just not working. I am back at the doctors at the endof the week but I think the best thing is to talk to people who feel the same or have been in the same situation/.....

I would really appreciate some feedback..

honey

nomorepanic
04-10-05, 21:35
Hi Honey

How long have you been on Citalopram? It can take several weeks to take effect and the side-effects susbide a little.

You could also try reading some previous posts in here....

Citalopram, Cipramil, Escitalopram & Lexapro (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949)

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

honey
04-10-05, 22:06
Hi Nicola

Thanks somuch for your reply.. This is the sixth week I have been taking Citalapram it is getting a bit better but when I started getting ill 3 weeks ago then my anxiety went mad,,,,,,....

Thanks for the link

honey

chucklehound
06-10-05, 17:19
Hi Honey and welcome to NMP where you will get support

and make some new friends too.

take care
chucklehound
xxxx

in1peace
06-10-05, 17:58
Hi Honey!
Welcome! We are so glad you found this site!!
I'm sorry that you've been feeling badly. I really hope that your body settles down soon and gives you a break!
If I'm not mistaken, citalopram is an anti-depressant, right?
It is more likely that the drinking cancelled out what you were trying to achieve by taking citalopram. There are enzymes that rid your body of alcohol, but they also go after your anti-depressant. If you drink, you remove the medication, because the enzymes are increased and they go after your medicine too. Also, alchohol depresses your central nervous system, which is very important to know for someone with panic disorder. Another thing that can happen when you drink, the alcohol affects the liver and how it manufactures glycogen. Which can result in hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is really good about setting off panic in those who are already panic prone.
And because of your diahrrea, you probably lost electrolytes and lowered your blood sugar. All of that can really contribute to panic. When your body gets back to normal, you should feel alot better. Just hoping you get settled soon!
Maybe avoid alcohol for a while. It would be a good idea.
And give your meds time to work. It takes a while for some meds to help you. Sometimes you will feel worse before you feel better.
Thinking of you!
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Elaine1
06-10-05, 19:17
Hi Honey

I asked the pharmachist whether or not I could have a glass of wine when taking citalopram - His answer was any alcohol reduces the effect of the medication, so I have tried not to drink at all, although I had a couple of small glasses with a meal at the weekend and I was fine.

As well as the alcohol, you have also been ill, this could also account for the problems. Chat it over with your doctor for reassurance when you see him, but don't give up - you will get there!

Hope you are feeling a little brighter

Elaine XX:):)