PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had to put oil in their ears?

xfilme
14-08-09, 12:46
When I went to the docs the other day to get my ears checked for an ear infection I was told my right ear was totally blocked and would need syringing. Ive not had it done befre and was told i needed to put ten drops of olive oil in my ear morning and night. Im quite phobic about getting water in my ears etc, so i started out with just a few drops. The first time i tried it my hearing in that ear went completely for about ten minutes. This time ive not had any hearing in it for 40 mins because of the olive oil. How long should I go before I have a panic attack because i cant hear out of it. I understand the logic that putting liquid in your ears will make you go a bit deaf, but should I be worried that it still hasnt come back after 40 minutes? or do i have to wait for the oil to disperse etc? I dont wanna freak over it, im just not used to putting stuff in my ears. Any reassurance? :(

valleybear
14-08-09, 15:56
Olive oil is very safe to put in your ears and ,yes, it will feel as if you can't hear for a while but will clear up in time. I have done this hundreds of times and you should not be worrieed. The nature of the cure is that the oil seeps into the wax and softens it so it is natural that if there is a lot of wax it might take a while...when do you go back for syringing? X

seeker
15-08-09, 13:20
Yes, it is a very old way (and effective!) of softening the wax and dissolving it slightly - it actually seeps out slowly in the night as you sleep =- nice, eh?! My hubby just had to do this for a week before they would syringe his ears - having done it for a week (and pulling out the most disgusting plugs of wax), by the time he got them syringed most of the wax had gone. He can now hear again - hurrah! And he will be putting oil and drops in his ears every week now to stop it getting so bad. My sympathies to you!