PDA

View Full Version : Hi...Newbie here

NYCgirl
05-10-05, 06:22
Hi. Just came across this forum. Looking for other people that are experiencing the same symptoms that I am. Here's my story:

I am a survivor of the World Trade Center attack (lost almost half my coworkers that day). Before then, I never had a panic attack in my life (I was 39 on 9/11.) About 3 months after the tragedy, I was eating lunch in our new office space and I suddenly lost the ability to swallow. Then, my neck started to tighten really badly and I got really upset. This passed and everything seemed ok for two years. Then, early last year, I started to develop flushes - I would turn bright red for no reason and it would pass. But, one day, it did not pass. I was with friends, watching a DVD (the Jack Nicholson/Diane Keaton flic) and suddenly, when Nicholson's character started to have a heart attack in the film, I started to have a panic attack. It was BAD. I was sweating profusely, trembling, choking, no saliva, blood pressure skyrocketing, heart was palpitating profusely - my friends called an ambulance. The paramedics thought it was bad enough to take me to the hospital. In the emergency room, they asked if I had taken drugs - I had not. They concluded that this was a panic attack, shot me with Ativan and I slept in the ER for the night. A horrible experience.

My adrenaline continued to be out of control for several weeks and I was given a prescription for Ativan to calm me down. I only took the pill when I felt the symptoms were rising (I was leary of taking these pills). I had full medical tests and the doctors said that there was nothing physically wrong - this appeared to be all anxiety related.

While I have not had a full-blown attack since then, I do experience periods of choking - most recently watching the New Orleans coverage on CNN. The first night of media coverage - I jumped out of bed at 3am shaking and choking and had to really focus to calm myself down (as well as drink a lot of cold water). I continued to have pain down my left arm for several days - feeling like a heart attack was coming (which I kept telling myself "This is all anxiety - just calm down". I realized that watching CNN and seeing photos of missing people was subconsciously stirring up old feelings. I'm beginning to think (I'm pretty certain, actually) that I am suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder from 9/11. Yet, sometimes the choking starts for no apparent reason at all - it is disturbing.

Do any of you attibute your panic attacks to a particular devastating event in your life? Does this ever go away by itself? I'm not one for psychiatry - I don't think that anyone can erase my memories of 9/11 - I just have to deal with it as best that I can. I should add that when this anxiety happens, I am not aware of any fear that I might have (it might be subconscious - but I am not outwardly scared of situations). I actually flew cross-country 4 months after 9/11 and I wasn't a nervous wreck about terrorism on the flight.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW - One thing I did do was eliminate caffeine from my diet - that only adds to anxiety.

Karen
05-10-05, 06:36
Hi NYCgirl

Welcome to the forum. It must have been a terrifying experience to have been involved in 9/11 and it does sound quite likely that you may be experiencing some PTSD. There is treatment available for this. It is true that the memories cannot be erased, however the emotional arousal caused by the memories can be dampened down so that it is no longer a memory that causes anxiety or panic.

Have a read of the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) article on the home page.

The throat sensation is a common symptom of anxiety and there lots of posts about this on the forum. There are a couple MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957) and A strange one, anyone else experienced similar?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3741) that you might like to have a look at.

You will get a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

twiglet
05-10-05, 07:23
Hi ya,
I cant imagine what u must be going through after 9/11. it cant be easy.
I havnt got a clue why my panic attacks started, mine started when i was 5 month pregnant. that was 5 and a half years ago.
But i can totally understand what u mean by watching something on tele, and it brings one on.
just over seven years ago i was raped, and even now i get flashbacks.
i cant watch a film or program when its about someone gotten raped. not even read about it in the newspaper, it makes me feel anxiuos.
so i can relate with u on that. but this is a really good site and you will get alot of good support here. i tried seeing a psychtherapist, it was ok.
your're right about noone can erase memories but hopefully with time we learn to deal with them abit better.
hope i've been some help.
take care, twiglet:)

meatybuddy
05-10-05, 09:43
hi nycgirl

welcome to the forums, i cant even begin to imagine what you went through that tragic day of 9/11 i know it cant be easy for you or anyone else involved.

i dont know why my anxiety starts it just comes outta nowhere i can get a panic attack any time of the day no matter where i am but i think (not 100% sure) that a lot of my attacks are from my youngest son passing away nearly a year ago but i was getting them for a few years before my son passed away just my son passing away has made me worse , and i still dont think im over the grieving yet even though it will be a year on the 18th october.

i agree nobody can erase memorys i really wish i could erase mine sumtimes.

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

3faces
05-10-05, 11:19
[:I]Hi NYCgirl,

I've just read your message and I cannot even begin to imagine what you have been through with your experience. I am so sorry that you have been suffering with panic attacks but it is not surprising after everything that has happened.
I am certainly not going to pretend I am an expert on the subject but I used to get panic attacks and felt that I was going to choke, becoming asthmatic etc I didn't even realise when I was feeling anxious and when I was, of course I wasn't breathing properly and before you know it, something (even seeing the News on TV) can trigger the attack. I can only say that once I understood I could control my breathing and saying really calm, peaceful things to myself. Keeping really good images in my mind, your breathing automatically calms down. It took a while and I had to keep working at it but eventually my PA's left. I still suffer with anxiety which is stopping me from living the life that I want to live but I don't allow it to get hold of me so I have the attacks. You are in control and you must always tell yourself that, you have the ability inside of yourself to get rid of that horrible panicky feeling. Be kind to yourself, you have been through so much and the feelings of anxiety you feel are normal. Stay strong and I am thinking of you despite being so far away.
Love Jem XXXX:D

Jem xxx

seh1980
05-10-05, 12:05
Welcome aboard!! Hope we can offer you some good support here :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Meg
05-10-05, 13:58
Hi,

I'm sure you are not alone in starting to have later reactions to your ordeal. Is there a survivors group or help via your company for this PTSD.

You've done very well in managing to limit the attacks you've had so far..

There is a huge subconcious workings that go on apparantly unnoticed by you but such as after watching the news coverage of katrina, your subconcious in processing all you watched, was disturbed and presented you with it all at 3 am.

No you will never forget - but it can become less of an influence over time and be easiet to cope with.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pinkscrumpy
05-10-05, 14:52
Hi NYCgirl

A big warmw elcome to you. I hope we can all help you through.

:D:D

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!