PDA

View Full Version : Caeserian Section! - now I'm really scared!!

andie73
15-08-09, 15:53
Hi everyone

I went to see my midwife on Thursday, I'm almost 37 weeks pregnant with my first child and after being head down and almost engaged for a month I discovered baby was now breech. She sent me straight for a presentation scan which revealed that the baby was feet first. They are unable to do an external turn because of the position of the baby's legs so unless it turns itself, which they said was unlikely, I need a section.

I'm so scared. I am already very hospital phobic and have never stayed over night let alone had a major operation. I am at the end of my tether. I really want my baby to be ok but I am so frightened. I have been terrified of pregnancy and labour so part of me is relieved that I will get a definite date when this will all be over and I will finally get a baby I've wanted for so long. And I am pleased I won't be in agony with labour for hours on end.

Yet I am still completely terrified. I was planning on a quick discharge from hospital, which is now impossible and mentally I'm preparing for the worst. My pregnancy has been so easy physically though at times I have struggled with my anxiety and just knew things would go wrong at the end. I just feel like running away, but I know that won't make any difference.

Please help:weep:

Alabasterlyn
15-08-09, 16:28
Hi andie, well I'm not surprised that you are scared right now as I'm sure it's all come as quite a shock to you.

I had my son many years ago by C Section and it was an elective one as my birth canal had too acute an angle for the head to engage, which I found out when I was about 6mths pregnant.

Like you I worried for England at the prospect of having a C Section and staying in hospital as I was only 22 and had never been in hospital and never had an operation either.

Back in those days they kept you in for 10 days after a C Section and I have to say I didn't find it hard at all as having a new baby occupies you so much that I didn't have time to feel anxious.

As you so rightly say it does mean you won't have to go through a possibly long and painful labour now and I would rather have a C Section any day than go through that :scared15:

I hope it all goes well for you :hugs:

freudian nightmare
15-08-09, 16:55
Hello andie,
just to say i hope all goes well for you, just think how you'll feel when you see your new baby. I had to stay in hospital recently and i was surprised how calm i was you just get through it, but you'll have a reward after your stay and i'm sure you'll be fine. Best wishes and take care xx

weeble40
15-08-09, 17:05
hi andie hun, I can understand how scared you must be feeling just now, I just wanted to put your mind at rest, Ive had 2 sections first was emergency second was by choice, ive also had normal births, can honestly say i would opt for the section anytime, you wont feel a thing, just a bit of funny kind of movement like raking round in your hand bag, its not painfull at all, within 10 minutes of the op, you will have a beautiful baby in your arms, and you can concentrate on baby while they sew you up, I came home after 2 days although i did have to promise not to move
I wish you lots of luck hun,

Emms xxxxxx

pollyanna
15-08-09, 17:22
Hi andie,

I havent had a c section but i have had a child and i do have health anxiety/medical phobia.
As you say at least you know which day your baby will be born, and there wont be all the other stuff that goes along with a lengthy labour.It will all be well planned and the staff are very experienced, and it wont last long.

I was at the hospital for a minor procedure a few weeks back, and i was terrified, but they took very good care of me, explained everything that they were going to do, and do stuff at my own pace as much as was possible.
Even without your degree of anxiety, as a first time mum, the staff know that you will be really scared, although it is scary, you know it wont last for long, and at the end of it you will have your beautiful baby, which will then take up your thoughts.

From now until the c section, , the birth of that longed for wee baby, you can do what you can to take control as much as you can , talk to the medical staff and explain how you are feeling, im sure they have come across it many times before, and talk through all your fears, plan the stuff you will take, clothes or music or perfume or whatever brings you comfort or confidence, and focus on not the c section but your baby, after all this is what this is all for.. I think the anticiaptation of what is happening is much worse than the event itself, and it may not be as bad as you think once it gets underway. you cant change the situation so think of things that will make you happier/more comfortable., i know thats easier said and done... but you have to try.

I wish you all the very best , and my thoughts will be with you.

Take care

Pauline x:hugs:

shakey
15-08-09, 17:43
Hi Andie

I have had 3 c sections - and they are nothing to worry about - the thought of them is much much worse - I have been in labour too and I personally think an elected c section is much better - it was a really good experience - the surgeon played music and all the staff present were relaxing and cheerful - I would even go as far as to say I enjoyed it! But afterward is sore - but I think it is with every birth - by two weeks later you wont have believed you have had it!

I hope it all goes well for you - dont be afraid.

andie73
15-08-09, 17:54
Thanks soooo much for your replies. I think my hormones are making me very emotional at the moment too, so it's hard to keep control when you feel up and down without the worry of an operation.

You have all made me feel a bit better about it. I'm sure once I have the baby I won't care too much about being in the hospital, well not as much as I normally do.

To those of you who have had sections - was it by spiinal injection? I presume it was, I think most are. And did you feel sick at all cos that is one of my phobias?

Thanks again

shakey
15-08-09, 19:18
I have had one with a general and two with a spinal block - and I did feel sick for about 5 minutes but they gave me fantastic anti sickness drugs - it takes effect very quickly as they dont want you vomiting whilst they are stitching you back up etc. The painkiller morphine stuff they give you afterwards can make you feel a little sick - but the happy side effect of morphine makes you a lot less anxious anyway!:yesyes: If you feel anxious about anything let them know as they will want you to feel very good about the whole experience as it helps with bonding with your baby etc.

x