PDA

View Full Version : Panic and Running

in1peace
05-10-05, 17:02
Just out of curiosity, one of the symptoms of panic is feeling like you could run for miles. Has anyone here had that symptom and actually tried to run it off? I would have gone running if I'd had a safel place to run. If you did go running, did you feel better afterwards?
Another symptom I had was feeling like I needed to cry and that temporarily helped. I wonder if the crying helps release some chemicals that contribute to the panic symptoms?

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Hannahlou84
05-10-05, 17:04
In my experience, crying helps, running doesn't!

I guess if you were to run sensibly, it would help, releasing the "happy chemicals" through exercise? Though I run til I pass out! I also find running doesn't help if you get panicky about being out of breath.. Just my view though!

"Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me"

Meg
05-10-05, 17:35
Andrea,

Mum4four talks about lots of running when panicky in early posts.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Elaine1
05-10-05, 18:22
Have you heard the phrase 'fight or flight'?

When I first started having panic attacks and was surfing the internet in the early hours I came across this several times and it has since been brought up by my therapist.

I may well get this wrong, but my understanding is that the 'fight or flight' instinct is in us all and it goes back through history when we had to fight or run from danger. For some, it is never triggered in their life time, but some of us are more susceptible to this behaviour.
For example the caveman would fight or run to survive.

There may even be some information on the home pages on this.

So, your symptom, does make sense on this basic level. The need to escape and all that.

I'm not a runner, so would not choose to go for a run (I'm better at pacing, but during my first panic attack was rushing through the house opening the front and back doors and charging into the gardens at 3am in the morning!), but would imagine it is a good release for tension and energy and therefore would help you to relax afterwards.

As for crying - another way to release - so I would go with this - I always feel so much better after a good old cry! :D

Hope this helps a little.

Take care

Elaine XX

mum2four
05-10-05, 22:45
The feeling of running is my biggest overwelming thought in my head.

I have ran so many time from a situation is order to make it stop I run as fast I can for as long as I can then I keep walking I have ended up so far from where I started and walk for upto 4h till I finaly feel like i can sit and relax and be alone.

I have been running/hiding from my anxiety sin ce I was kid even at school I would either hide under desk or run to a the edge of school yard and find some where to hide.

There has been more time's that I have been too scared to run anywhere depsite the feeling that i want to run and that is when i get really bad thought's.

My head just race's with thought's about if i run what could happen if i dont what could happen. I weight up the option and pick the least scariest option and then I do it. My head might decide that staying somewhere and dealing with a person being negaitive to me far out weight's the fear of making my parter worry about where I went to. But when I'm home my fear is strong for family and I dont run but I do hide either in my bed room or out on the drive way behind the car.

I often get run and then I it's like i hit a invisable barrier of fear and then i sit down there often on the edge of a road and just do something I had click pen once and all I could do was click is real fast and it took a while but once my friend found me and it was her pen that i had she was cool if anyone els had found me i would have ran further. But she was funny joking about me and pen as i felt better the clicking slowing down and then it wouldn't click anymore and we had a really good laugh about that. I felt better but it took me a while to decide to go back near the building i had come from. Since that event a fue a year 's ago I really havn't gone back to that place but I would like to.

The reason my run instinct kick's in so strongly is because it is a far better responce than to fight. I get the fight reponce every time i hear a negative word and each time I hear another negative word it kick's in worse till i can nolonger keep my mouth shut or stay calm with the person to talk about the matter at hand. I have tryed just shuting down on people but thay wont leave me alone thay push and push and push till i snap so bad that running is my only option. Shutdown seem to make people feel like I'm after attention cause i have such and loud personality people that get close to me in any way cant understand how could all of sudden be the opersite of what thay have all know and i think the other thing is that my loud personality often come across as attenstion seeking when it really only the result of too much adrenilin my system and being active and loud is far less crazy than giving in to my impules to rock, fidget, scratch my self, dig my nail's in to my self. I'v tryed to so many way to deal with my anxiety but when i person take's that away from me in any way either physicaly restraining me in some way or taking the object away from or just getting upset of angry with me then the only responce left is either to fight or run and fighting would get me introuble with the law which is a huge fear of mine and has been a positive thing when keeped in check but when not keeped in check it will stop me from do so many thing's. I really only feel like I'm left with one thing that has the least effect on the people around me and that is to run.

Sorry I wrote so much.

My instinct to run is getting better but I still have a long way to go. I still feel like I couldn't possibly hold down a job and stay out of depression and keep my anxiety in order right now but that is my next chanlenge and that is why I finaly ask for help. I'm sick of letting my body have control over me. I want control back and I'm going to get it.

I hopr you feel better soon.

in1peace
06-10-05, 16:28
Thank you m24!
I wondered if it would be okay for me to run when I am in a panic. Seems like sometimes it helped you. I keep thinking it would be better than pacing frantically and dwelling on my negative thoughts!
Elaine! I can so relate to you going in and out of the doors and charging into your garden! When I first started panicking, I wanted to go somewhere and my husband ended up driving me, then parking the car until I figured out where I needed to go. It was probably the worst day of my entire life. His too.
Thanks again Meg!!

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Meg
06-10-05, 16:36
Using the adrenalin by running is just fine and very good sometimes but in some scenarios its not the most useful solution....

Beware of getting into a habit that you then find hard to break.

The aim is to try learn to disspiate anxiety before panic hits and gets beyond the point of no return ...

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

mum2four
06-10-05, 22:55
I agree with meg on making sure you dont get in to bad habbit's with running.

These day I usaly walk on a regular bassic if I dont walk at least evry second day the erg to run whrn I finaly do get in to situation get real bad.

Finding a way to use up excess energy before you your anxiety start's is better than running after the anxiety has started because you may just make the anxiety worse when your in that situation again. At the same time if you feel you can reason with with your self enought to tell your self that your not running because of your fear but because of the adrinilin in your system than the anxiety will proberly stay stable.

If I'm going to place that I know I might run in to a situation where that start the panic I usaly try to walk that place. It seem to have to effect on how anxious I get when I'm face with a negative comment's and after walking home again I dont really obsess about what happen that day as much either. For me walking is a good way to think while burning the energy off that is created by the excess adrenlin in my system so i dont really get any major symptom's one I'm home again. I wish I could walk more often some week's cause i know it will make me feel better in the long run but having kid's make's it hard for me just to get out and walk. While I'm walking and thinking my speed change's deeping on the frustraion level of what I'm thinking about and I'm in my own world compleatly. I Kinda have tunnel vision while I'm walking.

Using the energy up in a postive way is the better option.

Piglet
07-10-05, 09:37
I have a mini trampolene/rebounder in the house. I originally got it so I could start to get over my fear of getting out of breath when I exercise.

Well it's helped me do this (see panic attacks and exercise thread) but I now also use it if I feel a bit wired as its a great way of getting rid of too much adrenaline. I just jog on it for 10-15 mins and feel much better.

I think there are and should be a fair few ways of dealing with panic anxiety etc and this is just one you could try whilst realising it may not be suitable for every situation (can't run up and down in the supermarket really can you)!!!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Trev
07-10-05, 10:55
Same as Piglet really (except I don't have a Super Tramp to play with). I would say exercise has helped me massively. I also find that it helps to "cut things off at the pass" if you like.
It seems to help stop me getting that wired / edgy feeling in the first place.
Maybe incorporate some regular exercise into your week and you might find in helps over time.

Cheers,
Trev

in1peace
07-10-05, 17:29
Thanks Piglet and Trev!
I know, I've GOT to get back to working out again. I was alternating dancing and weight training about a year ago. I never felt better than when I was doing that. It just takes time and commitment to make the time. I really should be doing it again!
That trampoline sounds like a BLAST, Piglet! I really wish I could have one! But my kids would probably have to use it and then someone would get hurt in our little apartment.. LOL!

Trev
07-10-05, 19:09
Maybe you could try incorporating some extra exercise into daily routines somehow? Maybe fast walking at lunchtime or something?

Personally, I found walking good but, as you know, you do need that extra "ooommph" where you get properly sweaty (or "glowing" I should say, as Piglet says this is what ladies do instead of sweat!! :)). You got the benefit before so you can get it again.

Good luck with sorting your schedule,
Trev

in1peace
08-10-05, 04:42
OH Piglet.. yes.. 'glowing' is a lovely term!! LOL!
Trev,
I have 3 children. 2 of them are in school from 7:30am to 2:30pm. The other is home with me all day. My husband works 3rd shift, so he is usually sleeping during the morning and early afternoon. I used to work out after my husband left for work because that was the only time I could get any peace. LOL! But now my 3 year old thinks she has to keep pace with me and her sleeping schedule is all messed up! I'm thinking I ought to go for walks with her or something. Get her involved in the exercise and maybe wear her out at the same time! LOL! I will let you know when I figure out what to do! :) thank you!!

Piglet
08-10-05, 11:39
It is hard when they are little - I remember it well!!!

Is the 3 year old still in a buggy/pram/stroller cos I used to charge around with my buggy everywhere, I was really sorry when it wasn't needed anymore and walking has never been quite the same since.

Yes and I agree a little trampolene would just be far too tempting for little ones. It would be great though to find a way to exercise as it does make such a difference, like you said when you were dancing.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Trev
08-10-05, 12:04
It's certainly not easy, especially when you have to fit it into the daily life schedule.
That seems like a good idea. Something you could both do together would have benefits for each of you and would be alot of fun as well. Great for extra "bonding" time also. Maybe you could do press ups with the littlun sat on your back??!!! lol. OK, maybe not, but I suppose you have to start thinking laterally a bit and you'll come up with something.
Hope you find a way to work it out.

Cheers,
Trev

in1peace
08-10-05, 16:46
Omg Trev!
If I could do press-ups at all I'd be lucky! LOL!! With her on my back?? ha ha ha ha! I don't know what it is about them, those are the most difficult part of a workout for me!!
Piglet,
I gave away the only stroller that's worth taking for walks. The other one is just a little bitty one that is only good for shopping. But you did give me an idea! I need to get a bike with a seat on the back and I could start biking!! That would really be great for both of us!
Thanks guys!

Trev
08-10-05, 21:39
That's a great idea. :) There had to be an answer there somewhere and that seems like a top one.

Good luck,
Trev