PDA

View Full Version : Venlfaxine 37.5mg

Louise2009
16-08-09, 13:08
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get the courage to take my venlafaxine tablets for weeks now. I have suffered from bad panic attacks and anxiety, and after a bad reaction to cipralex I am afraid to take the venlafaxine. I have tried lots of natural methods to get better and have had lots of therapy, but in my heart I feel I need some extra help with medication.

My doctor has prescribed me with 75mg of venlafaxine a day, one 37.5 tablet in the morning and one at night. I was wondering if anyone out there just takes one 37.5mg tablet a day (not extended release), and if just that small dose helps, so that I don't have to take 75mg. Do you think that small dose would help? and do you think that tablet form of 37.5 would not last long enough in the system?

I would really appreciate replies.

Thanks.

cagedbird
16-08-09, 19:32
hiya, the venlafaxine is a different class of antidepressant, working on different receptors in the brain, the cypralex is an ssri working on the seratonin, venlafaxine is an snri working on nor adrenalin, therefor it's unlikely for you to have a similar bad reaction. 75mg isn't the lowest dose but because it works differently you should see some improvement and the doctors won't start you on a high dose just incase you do have a bad reaction. Venlafaxine is also indicated for use in anxiety disorders, where as cypralex is just an antidepressent.

cagedbird
16-08-09, 19:41
also, venlafaxine has a short half life so 37.5 in the morning and the same at night would keep your system topped up and working at its best.

Bluebird
16-08-09, 20:14
Hey!

I switched to venalfaxine from citolpram a couple of weeks back for exactly the same reason. I havent had half as many problems with these. I was very unsure too, but glad I have started taking the venalfaxine now. 75mg a day was the starter dose I took to begin with, I'm now on 150 mg a day, 75 in the morning and 75 at night, I'm just waiting to see how it goes now. so far so good though as far as the side effects are concerned!!
I hope this reassures you a little hun,

hugs Claire x (bluebird)

jo61
17-08-09, 11:41
I struggled a bit with the non extended release tablets, made me really sick. Found the 75mg once a day better. See how you go and good luck.

Louise2009
19-08-09, 14:24
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies.

I have really stressed myself out about taking these venlafaxine tablets...but I know I must start taking them soon, as I need the help.

I think I am so scared, because I had such a terrible reaction to the cipralex - although I think it was caused because I took a full 10mg tablet to start off with. The Doctor did not tell me to take just a half or a quarter to start with! So after just taking the one tablet, by the first evening my anxiety and panic was through the roof and did not know what was happening to me! I thought I was seeing all the scarey images of old horror films I had seen, and all sorts of stuff - it was awful, and I was alone which made it worse.