PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I AM NEW AND SCARED...

spiritscense
13-01-04, 07:59
Hello, I am new to this and a bit scared about posting to strangers but I have been experiencing the worst 6 months of my life due to panic attacks, or so the Doctors call them, I am still not sure what is wrong with me, but it is ruining my life. I am a 44 year old woman who used to be vibrant and full of life....then one day last summer while relaxing in the sun, I got a wierd feeling up the back of my neck and my throat started closing...That was the begining for me, I wound up on the dining room floor clutching the table legs calling by doctor, sure that I was going to have a stroke or die. Since then, I have panic all of the time, not just 1 attack a day, but all the time, I live on Ativan and wine...I get attacks waking from a deep sleep...my brain feels like its the end, I cant breathe and I get dizzy. There is a constant deep buzzing in my head....I get palpatations and pain in my chest....I am starting counseling...Soem think it is menopause related, I did have a whopper of a stress filled year and now I cant even work...at risk to lose my home...I just want my life back....I hope this wasnt too long, I am new at this. Pam

sarah
13-01-04, 14:27
Hiya Pam

Thats the best thing about posting to strangers, we dont know who you are or where you are so its totally anonymous. Its a great way to get things off your chest and you are in the right place as we all suffer the same here to one degree or another.

Im sorry you are feeling so bad, ive been there and am currently coming out of it the other side. This site has helped me loads if only to let me know im not the only one!!!!

Have a good look round, theres loads of great info on this site.
Welcome again and I hope you find something on here to help you too.

love Sarah
xx

Meg
13-01-04, 15:01
Dear Pam,

Nothing is too long here.

Sorry to hear you're really struggling . It's so awful we all know.

Do you understand why you're dizzy and short of breath, have the chest pain and palpitations. They are all extremely common symptoms as is the throat closing sensation..

What are you doing to help yourself as well as the aromatherapy in terms of lifestyle and supplements ?

Why have you chosen ativan and wine as opposed to a SSRI that may give you great relief from your panic cycle ? Or is that in addition to something else ?

It's not the long term answer but at this point taking a regular benzo and alcohol is certainly not going to help you get to a place where you can start to work it all out and heal yourself.

You can get your life back, if you could give some more information it might be easier to advise you .

Hear from you soon

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
13-01-04, 17:28
Hi Pam

Welcome to the site - it's a great place to unburden yourself, say what ever you want, and remain as anonymous ar as recognisable as you like. You really can say and ask anything here, and are always guaranteed a kind considered caring response.

My top tips (learnt from this site are as follows:

EAT - healthily, 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, fresh food, avoid ready meals, eat complex carbohydrates
DRINK - water, herbal tea, juice, avoid or cut down on alcohol, tea, coffee, caffine filled sodas
EXERCISE - I hate it so much but even I have to admit that it really does make me feel better (after I've recovered from the exertion that is) I go to the gym and do 40 - 60 minutes cardio and 10 - 20 minutes weights twice a week (believe me, it's enough)
SUPPLEMENT YOUR DIET - vitamin B complex, vitamin C complex, Omega 3 oils
CBT (COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY) - it works. In the UK we can access this on the NHS, maybe you can post requesting recommended therapists in the US from our American forum members
ACCEPTANCE - accept your condition. Then you can start to conquer it
RELAXATION - get plenty of sleep. Do plenty of things to relax - yoga, tai chi, reading, embroidery, what ever lights your flame really
BREATHING - learn how to breathe properly. There are some abdominal breathing exercises on this site
LEARN TO ENJOY LIFE AGAIN - aim for something that you have always wanted to do, or used to enjoy doing, but don't have the energy for. The sense of achievment you'll feel is great, whether it be going out to social events, restaraunts, cinema, dance classes, theatre, hill walking, whatever.
DON'T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF - take little steps, and keep repeating them
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF - you WILL over come this
KEEP A JOURNAL - record your progress, thoughts etc

GOOD LUCK

Charlie

Buby
13-01-04, 18:08
hi Pam.

it is hard as you're new but you will find out that we all have become great friends and can talk about whatevers on our minds to each other. and now you are one of us, 'the fear friends'

if you look at the top tips bit there are some great tips, aswell as mine. the self-hypnosis tape is great, thats my idea. also the bach remedies and other things that are useful are on there posted by other people. Also Charlie hs great tips which you may have already seen above me, i keep a journal too and i have counselling just like you.

ive had mine for ten years but the sooner you do something about it the sooner it will go away. thats where i made my mistake, i didnt do anything straight away. Just remember that we are all here to help every way we can and will always be there for you.

keep posting,

hugs Rachel aka ratchit xx

diana
13-01-04, 19:25
Hiya Pam,

Welcome to our"FEAR FRIEDLY" forum here. As mentioned before me, there is loads of advice and tips available here. Just take a look around if you are feeling up to it right now.I am confident that you will find something here that will help you. In the meantime, remember we are all here for you. You can post whatever you want, you will not be judged here. We are all sufferers ourselves, so we know what you are going through.Do keep posting to let us know how you are doing, and if you were able to find anything here that may help you. I am sure whilst looking around you are bound to run into your same story written by someone else. We all have been there or are still there, so please don`t feel uncomfortable posting you worst days and fears here.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxxx

P.S. Good luck to ya!!!!!

spiritscense
13-01-04, 19:35
Thanks to all of you for responding!!! I had a very bad night and just came back from my therapy session. I made a decision to try Zoloft and cut back the wine and Ativan. It is wicked cold here, but I am going to try to walk some. I dont want to take drugs, but I am in such bad shape right now that anything is worth a try....Has anyone had luck with Zoloft????

Blessings, Pam

Meg
13-01-04, 19:59
Well done.

This med is much more useful than your previous choice.

Exercise is so good for anxiety. You could break into a bit of a trot if you're feeling particularly bad ..

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
13-01-04, 22:22
Very nice to meet you pam,
I too was scared of posting, so my husband used to post for me. (As the forum Members will tell you.) But you took the first step and posted, and that was very brave, well done.

The best advice I can give you is to try and stay calm, relax and if at all possible try and take your mind off things.
You are in good company here, we have all suffered similar symptoms to yourself, at sometime or another. The good news is you are not alone, you are not going mad and it is possible to make a recovery.

Good luck, keep in touch but most of all try not to worry.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Excentric

nomorepanic
13-01-04, 22:34
Hi Pam

It is good that you have found this site as you will get so much help here and we can provide as much support as you need.

Take some time to read a few posts and then you will feel much more at home here.

Also read the info on the main website too - that has loads of help as well.

Let us know if we can help.

Nicola

lpisano
14-01-04, 01:31
Hi Pam,

Oh I can so relate to what your going through. I was on Zoloft for a year because of constant panic attacks. I ended up in the emergency room thinking i was dying. The zoloft helped like you wouldnt believe. I was able to wean myself of it after a year, as it does have some side affects i didnt like, but nothing like the panic disorder!!! I had a slight relapse this last month hence my finding this forum, but i was able to fight it without the zoloft this time (though i was about to pick up the phone and make an appt). Anyway, I think the zoloft will heip you, and I know its hard, but you have to keep reinforcing the fact that its panic, and nothing bad is gonna happen.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Laura

bananarbabe
14-01-04, 02:00
Hi Pam,

I'm glad you were able to find this site. I started off on Ativan when I had my first panic attack because it was assumed by my MD and psychologist that I would probably not have a problem with reoccuring panic attacks. Unfortunately, that was not the case with me. I definately would check out the posts people have made on this site. One thing I would recommend is reading up on anxiety and panic attacks. When I initially had panic attacks, I had no clue about what was going on with me. I read this great book called Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies and learned a lot about the physical aspects of anxiety as well as coping methods.

Chris

spiritscense
14-01-04, 02:36
Hi and again, thank you to all of you who have posted in response to me. I have had not too much time to peruse the site for more information....I just adopted an abused English Setter from a shelter in Iowa...very far from Pennsylvania where I live. His name is Tuck and he is a fabulous doggy. He has lots of energy and today I was taking him out for a ride to the grocery and before I got him into the car, he saw somethin and tugged on the leash and sent me plummeting face first into the bumper of my car....doggy ran off, I thought I lost an eye...blood everywhere..I panicked and ran to a neighbors....bloody nose, black eye. I cryed for about 2 hours....got more PA and feel like the whole world is coming down on me. So tonight I will just keep trying to keep it together. Zoloft day 1....no ativans so far....a bit of wine...I am trying....arggghhhh!!!!

I forgot to say Doggy is back!!!!

diana
14-01-04, 18:13
Oh My Goodness Pam,

I do hope you are alright. Of all things to happen whilst trying to keep the PA under control ey? Good the doggy is back, but how bout yourself are you okay? Post to let us know how you are. Good luck on the Zoloft.

Take care, be careful,

Diana xxxxxx

Meg
14-01-04, 18:22
Hi Pam,

Glad no real harm done and Tuck is back.

I'm so pleased you're cutting way down on the ativan and wine.

Keep it going and do ask us for help if you want to..

Meg

spiritscense
14-01-04, 19:27
Hi to everyone....I am ok today with a headache and black eye. 1/2 Ativan before bed last night, none today (so far). Got some financial relief,took some of the worry away... kept talking myself out of panic...worked so far. I am taking it easy today. Any knowledge on going off of Ativan???I have heard horror stories about it. I am going slow.

I will check back in later. I did reply to a couple of other peoples topics. Will continue as I have the time.

Thanks and again...blessings to you all.
Pam

Meg
14-01-04, 19:39
Hi Pam,

Getting off ativan is similar to getting off oxazepam - see current thread.

Good to know there is one less worry for you.

Meg

Matt
14-01-04, 19:42
Heres the thread so you dont have to search ;)

I need Help!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568)

Buby
14-01-04, 20:18
hi pam.

how come you had a black eye?

hugs rachel xx

Meg
14-01-04, 20:48
Rachel,

Look back at page 1 ..

Meg

spiritscense
14-01-04, 22:27
Meg, thank you for the link. I will check it out tonight. No ativans today yet!!!! Twinges of PA, but still under control. I love days like today, I dont have them often....when I feel almost normal....I hope it continues. I have an accupuncture appt. tomorrow with a good friend who is a Doctor of Chinese Medicine. I am kind of cash poor right now so I am trading her crystals...I am very into rocks and crystals and their healing properties. My house is full of giant amethyst geodes and crystals!!!! I also have a Labyrnth in my back yard to walk and meditate...I sort of had an epiphiny last night and realized that I had gotten so far away from my holistic and spiritual practices....this site has been a great help to me so far and I am very greatful to all who make this possible...must cost alot to upkeep the site????

Blessing, Pam

Lilith
20-01-04, 16:38
Dear Pam,

I just discovered this thread today because I have been on vacation for awhile. You sound so much like me. I had my first panic attack almost 2 years ago, shortly after turning 45. It just came out of the blue, as you described. Fortunately for me I was at my doctor's office at the time! I was prescribed Xanax, and like you, drank wine to calm myself. It's very upsetting to wonder where your old self has gone to.

You're so lucky to have found this forum. I went for a long time without really knowing what to do. Since I have found the wonderful people at this site, I have started to understand a lot more. Just understanding what's going on helps to reduce the anxiety. I used to feel like I was going insane sometimes. Now I just reassure myself that the weird feelings are simply anxiety, and I'm alright. I still have anxiety and the occasional panic attack, but it is getting better. I even flew on a plane last week without Xanax! (There were actually a total of five flights on our trip, and only one was Xanax free, but hey, it's a very big improvement, lol!)

Best of luck to you!

Meg
21-01-04, 10:20
Good to hear you're doing so well Litheth !!

Where have you been ? it sounds like a great trip .

Meg

diana
21-01-04, 19:21
Hiya Lilith,

Great news!!!!! :), good for you. Keep up the good work. So glad you are doing much better. Do post to let us know where you went. sounds fun. Keep posting to let us know how you are getting along.Keep those positive thoughts flowing.

Take care dear,

Diana xxx

Lilith
21-01-04, 21:41
Thanks, guys. We went to Hawaii. That's 2 six hour flights from NY. I took .25mg of Xanax when I woke up on the morning we were leaving (about 5 am), but I don't think I needed it. By the time we got to the second leg of the trip, from LA, it was about 2pm, I think. The Xanax had worn off and I was getting nervous. I took one out of the bottle while we waited at the gate, and just held it in my hand. We boarded, and about 10 minutes after taking off I felt comfortable enough to put it back in the bottle! The third flight was a very short one halfway through the vacation, from Hawaii to Maui, and I felt fine. Coming home, we flew out at 11PM, and I took the Xanax, but mainly to help me sleep.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough nerve to do the usual helicopter tour of the islands, or go out on a whale-watching boat tour. But we actually saw whales from our hotel balcony (!!) so I didn't feel too bad about that.

Meg
21-01-04, 23:05
How wonderful..

I was lucky enough to stay on Kuwai island for 10 days a few years ago and there were dolphins playing in the bay which our rented house overlooked. It was very special.

Meg

diana
22-01-04, 18:07
Wow Lilith,

What a great time you must have had, and you coped wonderfully!!!!! Good for you. How was Hawaii? I have been wanting to go myself for my 15th year wedding anniversary, however I have heard it is very expensive there. Were you able to get any good deals? Do you have any suggestions on where or how to get the best deals for such a vacation? Keep up the great work, you are doing just fine.

Take care,

Diana xxxx