PDA

View Full Version : Feeding sheep causes depression

Lottie32
06-10-05, 15:03
Or ........ Stupid things that stupid people write that even stupider people believe

I'm having a bit of a time of it at the minute, not personally, but because some of my closest friends are having traumatic times at the minute.

One of them has just been diagnosed with cancer, has had a 7 hour operation, and is waiting to start isolation radiotherapy treatment at the end of the month.

She is the same age as me. She is one of the nicest people that I have met, and IT'S NOT FAIR.

Anyway, I'm trying to do anything I can to help her get better quicker. One of the things that I can do is to keep her horses ridden regularly. I had managed all summer with a pair of jodhpur boots with a three inch split along the sole, which was fine, but they are most definitely not suited to the winter - I've got wet feet three times already in the last fortnight. I already have a pair of long leather boots which are practically brand new, but I cannot quite get my legs in them due to slight weight gain. (there is a point to all this, but I need to set the scene, as Kate will tell you I can't do succinct)

However, I decided that it was pointless in buying new short boots when I could just bet my long ones altered, so I paid the huge sum of £12 to have zips put up the back.

My mum fetched them back from the cobblers and I tried them on the other night. They are still a little tight around the very top, but I'm hoping that they will stretch to comfort fit, as opposed to giving me dvt by cutting my circulation off which is what it feels like at the minute!

Mum asked how they were and I said a bit tight still. She said I should have just bought some new boots, where upon I answered that surely it was better to spend £12 getting into old boots rather than spending £250 on a new pair in wide calf that once I stop my meds will be too big.

She asked why I was still on the tablets - I replied that 1. I felt I still needed them. 2. ****ty things were happening and I usually have problems with Xmas, so it was a bad time to think about coming off them. 3. My doctor recommends I still take them. 4. My councellor recommends I still take them.

She retorted that depression is just a state of mind and that if I wanted to come off the tablets I could just stop taking them, and change my thought processes and I'd be fine, she knows because she read it in the Saga magazine.

Obviously I just smiled as an appropriate answer would have involved foul language and another argument!!! I remember vividly deciding several years ago that I was fed up of being happy and enjoying life, and decided that instead I'd opt for depression, misery, unexplained tears and emotional outbursts and a desire to give up on life. And of course I don't regret my decision at all, cos depression is great, I'm so glad I decided to say yes please to misery.

Anyway, my curiosity was arrisen and I snuck a look at the Saga magazine (I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing that I had read it)

To surmise, an Australian lady has written a book on overcoming depression. Aparently we are all wrong, as are all psychiatrists, as depression is just caused by denying your true self, and telling lies to your true self. Depression is not caused by chemical imbalances, that is just put about because it is easier to give meds than to cure.

How is she qualified to say this you say. Well this is the revelation. Feeding sheep gave her depression, and once she had realised this she decided that she didn't want to be depressed anymore and now she isn't.

Boy do I wish I hadn't fed that sheep three years ago. If I hadn't then I'd be absolutely fine now, and have no problems with my riding boots.

Aparently she had everything right in her life, had a happy marriage blah blah blah and her and her husband had mutually decided not to have kids.

Anyway, one day she went to feed some sheep and they had some lambs with them, and she came back depressed. She analysied it and realised she really did want children but because she wasn't being honest with her inn

in1peace
06-10-05, 16:20
OH I love this! :D
I'm glad you posted this!
Your mom has no idea what you are going thru, or she wouldn't be advising you the way she is.
I think the author might be suffering from not having anyone to talk to but the sheep. And we all know how smart sheep are! LOL!!
I know you are having a tough time and going through quite a lot. (((((((((hugs)))))))))) for you!
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

tracyp584
06-10-05, 16:59
That made me smile! Sheep??!!

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Insomniac
06-10-05, 17:05
Feeding sheep? I always knew they weren't that stupid, they are tricking us into feeding them so we get depressed! lol

My mum has similar view to yours. The 'Pull Yourself Together' view. Oh yeah - I never thought of that???

My mum doesn't know I am taking anything or that I have a problem at all. Negativity like that really doesn't help. Luckily I DO have people I can talk to about things. And you can come here to the forum for support and understanding. ;)

Just wait til I tell my husband about the sheep thing....he's Welsh so sheep don't make him depressed at all! LOL

Lisa.

carlin
06-10-05, 18:22
Hi Charlie,
so sorry to hear that your friend is so poorly, she is lucky in one way to have such a good mate in you. Also, mum's can say the most stupid things at times eh? That's what my kids tell me anyway!, but and this is a big but i now realize why i won't eat lamb on a sunday!!!!!! take care xxxxxx

dizzydruid
06-10-05, 20:33
Lol at sheep, i remember my mum taking me to feed a lamb when I was young so maybe that is why I have felt so depressed as long as I can remember. That pesky lamb!
I'm really not convinced about the sheep feeding stuff but about the depression being something other than a chemical inbalance thing I can kind of see. The only reason I say this is because I recently read an interesting book called 'how to lift depression.. the human givens approach' It goes into detail about the reasons why people might suffer from depression and how depression and negative thinking leads to a chemical imbalance rather than the reverse. Its an interesting read and I would recommend it just to have a different outlook on how the brain works and it definately isnt a pull yourself together and get on with it book.
I'm not taking any chances from now on so I'm going to avoid any contact with sheep from now on just to be on the safe side.
lucy x

Trev
06-10-05, 20:44
If they send the men in white coats around make sure they are not woolly ones coz she'd probably mistake them for sheep and lapse into another depression!!

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time Charlie.

Cheers, Trev x

tattybear
06-10-05, 20:51
Charlie.....as always...your post has really made me smile :D

Although looking back....I also remember feeding sheep when i was younger...Hmmm ... maybe there is a pattern to all this???! HAHAH!

Tatty B xx

tammyg
06-10-05, 21:19
Hi Charlie,

don't some people come out with downright daft things!!

I had to re-read the whole sheep reason a few times just to understand it - the woman obviously has too much time on her hands.

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time at the moment. It sounds like you are doing all you can to help out though, that's all you can do.

Like tatty, reading the bit about the sheep really made me smile. I hope your friend is ok.

Stay away from those sheep!

Tammy x

bluebottle
07-10-05, 12:41
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Personally, I think it's much more natural to have a chemical imbalance</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

No Charlie, you probably find it easier to think like that. The fact is there is not one piece of evidence that proves there is such a thing as a chemical imbalance. Not one. Now I'm not saying antidepressants don't help some people, but what will "cure" them is therapy and self help. I don't know who this Australian woman was but a woman who lives in Australia called Dorothy Rowe is worth checking out.

http://www.dorothyrowe.com.au

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Piglet
07-10-05, 12:53
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Obviously I just smiled as an appropriate answer would have involved foul language and another argument!!! I remember vividly deciding several years ago that I was fed up of being happy and enjoying life, and decided that instead I'd opt for depression, misery, unexplained tears and emotional outbursts and a desire to give up on life. And of course I don't regret my decision at all, cos depression is great, I'm so glad I decided to say yes please to misery.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lottie32 - 06 October 2005 : 15:03:16</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

This bit made me laugh out loud and something unpleasant happen in the nose department.[Ugh]

I then went upstairs and said to the sheep "sorry guys time to move on".

As they say hun - keep takin the tablets!!!!!!

Love Piglet :)

Lottie32
07-10-05, 13:01
Blue - actually I belong in the scientific camp. I don't disagree that life and how you think about it does go a long way to define who you are, but I can genuinely say that there was no cause for my depression.

I think that people who have met me will agree that I am pretty happy go lucky, take things in my stride, and deal with all the negative things that happen to me, as well as embrace the positive.

I challenge myself continually, and keep working on getting better, and I have made great inroads in "getting there". I started with depression two years into an on going programme of CBT, which I whole heartedly believe in as being an excellent therapy. Therefore, I was challenging my thoughts before the depression started.

I have several articles at home, as part of my recovery I have created a folder which contains a variety of articles from a wide variety of sources and covering a multitude of issues. Recent articles in the New Scientist have shown changes in the the levels of neuro transmitters including 5HT.

Whilst I take on board that having a positive attitude is necessary to recovery, I think that it is wrong to suggest that it is negative thinking which is the cause of the problem, and could cause some sufferers to become more depressed thinking that their depression was the fault of their negative thinking, particularly when the sufferer may not be a negative person in the first place.

Personally I didn't find your post particularly helpful - I was trying to "lighten up" the subject of depression!

Charlie

Nemesis - Rita QofS I JFDI'd THEM!!!!!!

bluebottle
07-10-05, 15:13
That's fine Charlie, take from it what you will or nothing at all. I wanted to make the point that there is no evidence to support the chemical imbalance argument. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist of course. There is evidence that therapy and self help does improve a person's depression, and sometimes "cures" it.

Your humour was very welcome, anything that makes mental health less frightening is good.

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

nomorepanic
07-10-05, 19:31
Charlie

Thanks for cheering me up today with that post [:P]:)

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
07-10-05, 23:26
Hi Charlie,

Great post hun! :D Cheers :D

I got all panicky then [Ugh] and felt really BAAAAAAAAAAAAD as I love sheep (I'm allowed to admit that I'm a woman!) (I love all animals really) and I have feed plenty of sheep in my time! I was the only adult bottle feeding the lambs at a farm once! LOL I also have a calendar with sheep on [:O] oh dear perhaps I’m disclosing a bit to much info now! [Oops!] Where have you all gone????????[:O] [:O] [:O] [:O]

Perhaps that explains it all [:P]LOL. Ah I still love the sheep though!

Take care,;)

Love and Bleets.

PIP'S X X X X

Karen
08-10-05, 05:11
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">The only reason I say this is because I recently read an interesting book called 'how to lift depression.. the human givens approach' It goes into detail about the reasons why people might suffer from depression and how depression and negative thinking leads to a chemical imbalance rather than the reverse. Its an interesting read and I would recommend it just to have a different outlook on how the brain works and it definately isnt a pull yourself together and get on with it book.<div align="right">Originally posted by dizzydruid - 06 October 2005 : 20:33:54</div id="right">
I too have read this book and found it really interesting. The ideas in it about thinking styles and the way depression is maintained made sense to me.

I also tend to believe that the chemical imbalance is a consequence of depression rather than a cause, simply because I've taken numerous different antidepressants over the years that I have experienced depression, none of which have actually helped me feel any better. In fact, I was taking antidepressants at the time in my life when I made two suicide attempts within a relatively short period of time.

From everything I have learned over the last year or so, I now recognise why I have struggled with depression for so many years, which goes back to my childhood and certain experiences since then. I also know how my thinking patterns are helping to maintain the depression. Unfortunately, knowing this doesn't help me change, as I feel I have been like this for so much of my life that I find it so difficult to change now.

Charlie, I think you are doing so well and making excellent progress, even with the difficult and upsetting situations you currently find yourself in. I also agree that antidepressants do help some people and it is great if these do help. I think it is a case of finding whatever works for you and working with it.

The majority of people seem to find some kind of solution-focsused therapy (of which CBT is one) with or without medication is what proves most beneficial.

Depression is a very complex emotional disorder that affects so many different people for a whole host of different reasons, and new research is being done all the time on this. I just think if it were purely a chemical imbalance alone then medication alone would be sufficient to right this imbalance and lift depression. This hasn't been the case for me and antidepressants seem rather 'hit or miss' for a lot of people.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

kate
08-10-05, 11:33
Maybe there are several "types" of depression that scientists have not yet realised? Maybe there is the depression caused by chemical imbalance and also another depression caused by circumstances and life experiences? Maybe there are loads of different varieties and causes but this has not yet been discovered?

This would make more sense really as anti d's help some people recover fully whereas some only make strides forward when having therapy which doesn't help others.

When I have had depression in the past, drugs have sorted it out for me whereas therapy was an absolute waste of space.

Could this be why there is such a wide range of symptoms and people are affected in different ways?

Kate

Lottie32
08-10-05, 13:50
Meds definitely help me, however, ages before I started taking the meds, I had been doing CBT, and am currently still having regular CBT sessions, which have addressed a huge variety of issues, from panic, anxiety, self esteem etc etc etc.

This is why I am particuarly annoyed that I have developed depression, as I have worked very hard to exercise, eat healthily, drink in moderation, try and turn any negatives into a positive (i.e. Nic being ill means I get to ride daily, and i'm helping her out at the time, although, of course, I'm very sad that she is ill), enjoy life and try and lead it how I see fit, not by what society pressures us into doing. I'm a pretty clever person, but at present am so much happier doing a "menial" job. I get lots of job satisfaction, and make peoples lives easier - particularly when dealing with my "old dears".

Ok, so sometimes my day includes scrubbing the odd loo, but I also get to cater for 50 people at a Congolese wedding, and get paid to go shopping, and sit and chat over a cuppa! I am so much happier than I was doing a 9 - 5.

I also make sure that I do lots of things I enjoy doing - (Alton Towers x 2), dining out, visiting friends, riding, reading, grooming for Carolyn.

I am very philosophical about life, my dad and gran have both died and I miss them terribly, but it's a fact of life and I have always believed in the philosophy of "Its how you deal with it that matters, not what you go through". Every life is full of ups and downs, and that is normal, but I spend lots of time trying to get a positive spin on things - people who know me well will tell you that I can laugh at just about every misfortune that happens to me - and there are lots.

Whilst I whole heartedly take on the fact that "being miserable" and "giving in" to depression will make it worse, and that any sort of illness, particularly mental ones have to be fought from every angle, which includes lifestyle and very importantly changing thought processes, I still don't agree with the idea of denying sub conscious inner wishes.

My friend has spent the last few days with me, and she is the biggest advocate of positive thinking I have ever met. She was sent, through work, on a two day thought training programme in Oslo in February. Since then she has only had 2 bad days, and is permanently positive about everything that happens, life, work, the future and the past. The people who ran the course are the same gentlemen who got Jimmy White playing snooker again. They don't believe in the word can't, only I can, but more importantly teach how to change the brains thought processes to allow this to happen. She read the mad sheep womans article, and she agreed with me entirely, and she will not have anything said against the power of positive thought.

I did not choose to be depressed. I love my life, I have never felt more healthier, done more and varied things with my time, or had so many people who I can honestly call friends, in so many places. I actually want to be me. I can't genuinely think of anything that I would like to make my life complete, apart from day dream things that you cannot make happen, no matter how much you try, for example, I would like to win the lottery. I would like for my old horse to have lived forever (or until I died). I would like to have a smaller nose. I wish property prices were down to what they were in the sixties, but I was earning what I was now and I could buy a huge pile in the country. I'd like for there to be no poverty, for all illnesses to be cured, for nobody to suffer, for society to treat each other better. I'd like a TVR Chimera.And I'd like not to have any responsibilities. However, speaking to others, I know that these are pretty common things to aspire too, and most of them are not going to happen (ok so I could pay for plastic surgery, and get my nose sorted, and I could save up for the car, but it wouldn't be practical for my lifestyle!!)

Then I wake up, and actually, I am not the sort of person who can do without responsibilities, I like to be involved,

Karen
08-10-05, 14:54
Hi Charlie

I do agree that making sweeping statements and having a 'one size fits all' approach doesn't work and this needs to be tailored for each individual.

Sometimes depression appears to hit from nowhere, even when you have been doing everything possible to live a healthy lifestyle and change thought patterns etc.

I know that my depression stems from the way I was brought up and my life experiences and I am not happy with myself, my life and know I still have a long way to go with avoiding the negative thinking styles that go hand in hand with depression.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Do I just do what my mum says, stop taking my meds right here and now and decide that I'm going to be better? Or do I keep on with the CBT, doing what makes me happy and stay on the meds?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Everyone needs to be treated on an individual basis. The fact that medication helps you is fine and I don't believe anyone has the right to tell you that you should come off it. So, I don't think it is simply a matter of 'deciding to no longer be depressed' and if the combination of medication and CBT helps then I would say continue with this.

I choose not to take medication because I have had this so many times in the past without any benefits, probably because my life remained the same, ie I have remained isolated and received no help to tackle any of the issues that I have.

So, ultimately, I personally think it is down to each person to try different things until they find what works best for them. There are always extremes of every argument, when often something nearer the middle turns out to be what is beneficial for most people.

We have a member on another forum I am a member of who tells everyone that every case of anxiety and depression is caused by hypoglycaemia and that going on his diet will cure people. Again, nutrition does play a part, but can only help in conjunction with other things. Unfortunately, this person is unable to accept that other methods, ie therapy and/or medication have their part to play too.

Don't think you need that plastic surgery, by the way!!:D

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Lottie32
09-10-05, 15:05
Hi Karen

You are so right. We are all complex individuals, who have each experienced their own problems and issues, which have shaped us individually.

I'm lucky that I have basically had a very happy life, and lots of love, and good friends and family. Therefore, I have "less" to deal with, and hopefully, by continuing "attacking" my issues with a variety of different weapons, CBT, meds, changes to lifestyle and thought, I will soon be fully recovered, and have the skills to face up to anything else that life may wish to throw at me.

Unfortunately for you, you have had been unlucky and not had the positive experiences that I have had to a lot of situations. This means that you have more to deal with.

However, you are well aware what your issues are, and therefore are able to start tackling them. I know that there are areas of your life that you haven't got how you want them, BUT you are making progress. I am always in admiration of you for being so good at driving all over the UK to meet a selection of random strangers whose only common link is that they are all mad, stop for a couple of hours, then drive back via a long traffic jam. I'm sure that I for one wouldn't have the grit and determination that you have in order to do this.

Despite all your problems you still manage to give time out to other people and get involved with various forums that not only help you, but also help others.

I believe that your philosophy will get you there. And recovery is not a competition. You can be as successful doing it in three years or three months. It just depends on where you are starting from.

You are right about the fight aswell. One of the most annoying things about depression is that it makes you think negatively, and when you are depressed it can be such an effort to turn everything round and deal with life in a positive frame of mind.

I just try to take each day at a time, and embrace the good times - like my trip to AT!! Can't wait for next year, and we can try the new ride that is being built to replace the Black Hole.

Hope things are going well for you, and you are coping with Ks absence.

XX

Charlie

Karen
10-10-05, 04:37
Thanks for your reply Charlie.

I am confident that your positive attitude and determination to enjoy life and recover from depression, as well as all the hard work you have put in, will enable you to come through this. From what I have read of your earlier posts on the forum you have already come such a long way and persevered no matter what else has been thrown at you in life.

Whatever anyone's particular background or issues, I wouldn't say it is any easier to come through depression. I did have an unhappy childhood and my teenage years (when depression first struck) were very difficult, however I also recognise that I haven't exactly helped myself in my adult years and still cause myself a lot of the pain and unhappiness I am experiencing.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I believe they have had it any easier than me when trying to recover from depression, anxiety and panic, or whatever their particular issue happens to be. I recognise that this journey is equally difficult for everyone.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I am always in admiration of you for being so good at driving all over the UK to meet a selection of random strangers whose only common link is that they are all mad, stop for a couple of hours, then drive back via a long traffic jam. I'm sure that I for one wouldn't have the grit and determination that you have in order to do this.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
I guess this highlights how we all have different issues and fears, although I admit that a year ago I wouldn't have believed I would be doing this either. Travelling alone is still something that does cause me anxiety, however compared to some of my other problems, this is one I do feel able to challenge myself with and to try to push forward.

I always admire the way you can chat away to complete strangers seemingly so effortlessly, while I struggle to say a few words to someone. My mind either goes completely blank and I feel like a complete idiot with nothing interesting to say, or I worry that I will freeze up and be unable to get my words out.

I guess I do have a problem with comparing myself to others and believing I am not making enough progress, or getting better quickly enough. Through constant prompting and encouragement, I can now recognise that I have made progress in some areas, but also feel like I am going backwards in others. Sometimes it seems like there will never be an end to it doesn't it?

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I just try to take each day at a time, and embrace the good times - like my trip to AT!! Can't wait for next year, and we can try the new ride that is being built to replace the Black Hole.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Taking things a day at a time, I agree, is the best attitude to take and one of my problems is trying to tackle everything at once and then feeling overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of it all.

I too can't wait for the next trip to AT. My goal for then is to be healthier, so that for one thing I am not freezing cold next time! And also so maybe I can attempt to go on more of the rides - although I draw the line at sitting at the front of the log flume!:D

K is back now:), so I am feeling calmer and more settled than last week. Thanks for your kind thought.

Karen
x

bluebottle
10-10-05, 10:05
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I do agree that making sweeping statements and having a 'one size fits all' approach doesn't work and this needs to be tailored for each individual.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Can we just clarify who we are referring to when we are talking about sweeping statements? Is this in general, or the sheep women, or someone else?

--
Blue -

ANXIETY26
10-10-05, 12:14
Im from Wales. Where men are men and sheep are scared. Catch my drift ;). I'll have to stop that!

Karen
10-10-05, 12:38
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Can we just clarify who we are referring to when we are talking about sweeping statements? Is this in general, or the sheep women, or someone else?
<div align="right">Originally posted by bluebottle - 10 October 2005 : 10:05:27</div id="right">
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular but just making a general statement.

Karen

Dan
10-10-05, 22:43
found the original post really funny
do think meds help last year i took them for while and my sis said i stopped being the vacant person i had become without noticing (does that make sense) would rather try to make do without them now but thats a personal choice however if i got as bad as did last year i would take them again
sorry that some of you dont have true support of your family
but its a lack of understanding at least we all have each other anyone can PM if you want
positive thought to all
dan

Lottie32
11-10-05, 10:16
Blue - the one size fits all comment was a generalisation.

Sadly some people don't realise that recovery is a combination of lots of things (some that work for one, won't work for others), hard work and determination.

Comments like the ones made by my mum (you don't need meds just change your attitude) are really not helpful. Meds have helped me enormously, but have been taken as part of a long standing programme of help. They are particularly unhelpful when you have already been involved in two years of CBT, and have become a different person and are still suffering from issues despite lots of hard work!!!!! Does the fact I had to include meds in my programme make me a failure????

Basically the saga article made a sweeping statement about the sheep womans philosophy (which may or may not be how she sees it, bearing in mind it was an A5 article precising her entire book), my mum took it far too literally, and Karen and I were just generally commenting that generalisations can be harmful.

Luckily, most people on this site have a pretty open outlook, and one of the reasons that I have made so much improvement is because I have tried lots of things that have been recommended to me, that have worked!

Karen - sorry, I must have been so wired up about the thought of going on Rita that I got really confused, as I was convinced that we set chatting on the ampitheatre to Oblivion, waiting for the others to do the ride?????? Don't be so hard on yourself - it's probably one of the most perverse social groups that you could get into, particularly as we are all so very different, and only have madness as a common theme. What strikes me most is that when we are together, we all seem so normal!!!!!! We should all go on the stage, as we are adept at hiding what goes on inside!

Sorry too, but the log flume is strictly in turns, and Cookie and I are at the back. You can fight it out with Jules for the NOT front seat LOL

Charlie

Karen
11-10-05, 16:47
Hi Charlie

I agree that comments like those made by your Mum are not only not helpful, but can actually make things worse. The majority of people who experience depression have low self-esteem anyway and don't need to be made to feel worse by thinking they are failing by needing some help in the form of treatment for depression.

My parents made similarly unhelpful comments over the years too, like telling me to 'snap out of it' and 'pull myself together'. That's when they weren't accusing me of making it all up just to get attention. None of it is at all helpful.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Does the fact I had to include meds in my programme make me a failure????</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Not at all. From where I'm standing you have been and still are working very hard to come through this depression and to recover. Whether you take medication to help you along the way is not important.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Karen - sorry, I must have been so wired up about the thought of going on Rita that I got really confused, as I was convinced that we set chatting on the ampitheatre to Oblivion, waiting for the others to do the ride??????</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Umm guess I forgot about that[Duh!]

I always analyse what I have said and done after any social occasion like this and then concentrate on everything I think I did wrong, or could have done differently. Beating myself up is my speciality!

Think we need some poor unsuspecting soul for the front seat of the log flume:D!

Karen

Sue K with 5
12-10-05, 21:41
oh God if only what she wrote was true! wow can you imagine we would be cured in a ****** week

The story made me smile though so thanks !

lol

Sue with 5

:D

scknight

Lottie32
19-10-05, 22:05
As a non child breeder it is quote often easy not to be too aware of what little ones pick up on.

My friend has recently been diagnosed with depression, and one of the ways she is tackling it is with meds.

Whilst at her parents house the other day (I work for them, and am also good friends), we were discussing the Saga article and our opinions on the sheep lady.

I left their house, having had a bit of a giggle with S, and as we shouted goodbye, we also told each other to stop feeding the sheep.

Her niece, Little P, who is only just two, was there, and as usual, I gave her a kiss good bye.

This week, her grandpa had to phone one of the neighbours. Little P asked to have a word, and proceeded to tell Ed, that she had fallen over at nursery (not true), and Auntie S had had to go and pick her up (also not true), she had fed the ducks on the way back (again not true) and her granny had told Auntie S that she really must stop feeding the sheep!!!!!

The whole family are now worried, as they call one of the in-laws by a rather unsalubrious nickname, that is only known to close family and friends (he is a bit odd to say the very very least), and they have visions of Little P letting this slip.

Today the entire household spent the morning analysing everything that was said, or talking in code! A very tiring morning it was too.

So, as well as not feeding the sheep, I must also recommend that you don't talk about it in front of little children.

Mind you , the plus side is that we both got a really good laugh out of it!!!

Charlie

mikem
28-10-05, 16:40
Maybe it's eating too many lamb chops!! Does this make me BAAAArmy.[^]