PDA

View Full Version : Worried About Past Actions

Sparkles4
18-08-09, 19:03
I used to party, drink, casual-smoke, stay out in the sun, and talk on my cell phone quite a lot (hours at a time). I never used to think my actions out like what I've done could've caused cancer. What if my past actions come back to haunt me through some debilitating disease. I know what's done is already done, but I can't help but worry.

Any advice?

Thumbelina
18-08-09, 19:23
my grandad smoked until he was 70 - he lived until 92
was quite alright.

My mother - in - law smoked a bit - got COPD at the age of 52
still alive - but suffering allot

so you never know

thats why its called health anxiety - because youa re anxious about health with no obvious current reason.

Relax

allyp82
19-08-09, 08:19
I have also been worrying about past actions have caused me some awful condition (mainly excessive drinking in my case, for a period of about 4 years). I keep thinking that if i have got something bad wrong with me, one of the worst things will be that it would all be my own fault, and i would feel so ashamed that I caused my own illnes (or death, when i'm really low!!), and my family and friends would be ashamed of me (which they wouldn;t anyway!)

Can't offer any suggestions, just wanted to say i know how you feel x

amu
19-08-09, 11:31
Re smoking: most of us casual smoked when we were young, it is important to stop but I think it only proposes a slightly increased risk, as long as you don't carry on smoking.

Re drinking: I am pretty sure almost everyone drinks excessively when they are young. Again it is important to just drink in moderation once you grow up :), which does not cause cancer. Just think about how great it is that you stopped drinking excessively, and what you would have caused yourself if you hadn't. You will be fine xxx

Re partying: you should still do it! Same goes for staying in the sun, just use some lotion.

Cell phones don't cause cancer.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

allyp82
19-08-09, 12:05
Thanks Amu, good reply!
best wishes, ALison x

Sparkles4
19-08-09, 16:42
thanks for the replies. i thought that over-usage of cell phones cause inner ear/brain cancer due to radiation? but the tests scientists have done were inconclusive.

amu
19-08-09, 17:00
Hi Sparkles,

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/mobilephones/

No worries!!! xxxx

Amu

tiredOfOcd
19-08-09, 19:47
FWIW - For the 4 years I was in college I drank like a fish, ate greasy/fatty food and got almost no exercise.

20 years later I asked my dr about any health impacts and she said my body would have repaired any damage and I was well past the point of worry.

Sparkles4
19-08-09, 21:58
thanks all. really made me feel better! i just need to relax and focus on something else.

Sparkles4
20-08-09, 04:53
one more question. can excessive worrying cause me to lose a lot of hair? i feel as though i'm always pulling out strands and it just seems like tons more than usual.

Thumbelina
20-08-09, 08:17
sparkles

i hav the same when we ar ein anxiety panic state - my hair falls out more, and i can see it as i have long hair.

The thing isthat secretion during anxiety is higher - so out roots get oily faster and it makes them loose and hairs fall out faster.
Its ok, they will grow back, dont worry