PDA

View Full Version : The Pub!!!

desperate
07-10-05, 20:05
I don't know why but 'the pub' just fills me with dread...I'm not sure why really. It is the one thing I would really 'avoid' as such....I'm just not sure why though!

I am gonna try and go tonight for an hour even though I haven't had the best day.

I don't know i think it's something to do with the fact that maybe people go there to unwind and for me it's stressful at the moment....i supposed it puts me on edge all the people and drinking etc....which i did used to enjoy at one point!

I dunno! I think i just wanted a ramble i think.

Am gonna spray my rescue remedy look my best and stick it out for an hour and then get a lift home!! [xx(]

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Hannahlou84
07-10-05, 20:11
Hiya,

Yeah, it is anxiety provoking! But that attitude won't help! lol... Expecting it to be horrid isn't good! You know, some people just don't like pubs, and don't go (many of my friends won't!) There are alternatives though!

Do you not drink at all? A little might relax you a little? Do you not find the catching up with your friends/talking nonsense helpful? You said before you were OK with pubs, and it was clubs you would struggle with. Where's the positivity gone?

I am sure you will look fab! And if the rescue remedy stuff works for you, then go for it!! Try and have a good evening! Don't put a time limit on staying, you will keep looking at the clock, why not see how you feel, and how long you last?

Good luck!

Han

"Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me"

desperate
07-10-05, 20:41
Eeeep sorry Hannah...I didn't go.

I was just so knackered from my 3hours out earlier and the thought of having to push myself up again and be ok with people was just too much...i don't know why i act so much i just do.

I don't know drinking now scares me...i don't see it as relaxing i see it as losing control in a way. i struggle with both to be honest. there's just something about people getting together to drink and things....i dunno.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Hannahlou84
07-10-05, 20:48
Ah well, if you're tired, that's fair enough! Don't worry. Not a failure.

You only loosing control if you drink too much. Moderation is the key there. :)

"Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me"

desperate
07-10-05, 20:57
I felt pants earlier....that's my excuse i have got out the house today and even bought some things in shops which i find tough...

so time to wind down for the day i think.

it would be a failure if i went and couldn't be ok.

i will start drinking at home again maybe...it's just another things that took over when all this kicked off....i used to be like it a bit before uni too.

Trev
07-10-05, 22:22
Don't be too hard on yourself, you achieved some great stuff earlier. Celebrate that and don't see it as a failure, it's just being sensible I reckon...........especially if you were feeling a bit tired. :D

The pub can be an anxious place for many people I think. There's lots going on to stimulate the senses. The first time I went back to the pub I was OK(ish) until I got there and then it all went very pear shaped to say the least! I had to get my mate to go to the bar for me as I couldn't stop spinning out. I saw it through but it was horrendous.
I look back now and it doesn't seem possible I was that bad. I have no problem going to the pub now......in fact, I probably have more trouble leaving! :D

Small steps lead to big steps so maybe look at it that way. You are going forward so there's no failure here.

Take it easy,
Trev

desperate
08-10-05, 10:26
Thanks Trev,

Much appreciated....I guess I went out and about earlier which is more than i have done in ages so....

Dan
08-10-05, 22:18
thanks
sorry for you to be frightened of drinking but im glad to no its not only me ( sorry for being selfish) i dont really have trouble going in to pubs but the idea of drinking is scary now i went out drinkin bout 6 mnths ago and was fine but have been bit worse again since then however i have just reluctantly agreed to go out in dec and it will be all drinkers and i am already worrying sad i no
sorry to waffle but i also worry about having my drinks spiked
and even thought about what if they spike my food as we are eating too, weird i no i think its all about fear of losing control
i used to enjoy a few drinks most fridays and really miss it
i also got scared of smoking haha so gave up prob not a bad thing but it annoys me that i gave up thru fear these are regular cigs im talking about aswell
sorry again for going on nice to get that of my chest
must not let fear of night out in 2 months get on top of me but feel like it mught be a struggle sorry
dan

Hannahlou84
09-10-05, 16:12
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about your fear of drinking. You know, you can go out with these people without actually getting drunk, or even drinking?

December is quite a time away, and you may have overcome this fear by then, but if you haven't, it is important to do only what you feel comfortable with.. so if you don't want to drink then don't, and if you don't want to drink too much, then don't. I know it's harder than that when you are 'out with the lads', but you don't have to do what anyone else tells you in that respect. If you are not going to enjoy drinking, but don't mind the night out.. then enjoy it for that.

Hope this helps!

desperate
09-10-05, 20:59
Hi Dan,

I had half a glass of wine today and then stopped!!

I think my trouble is that i'm just not in the mood i'm thinking too much and then alcohol just doesn't help?

Dan
10-10-05, 14:08
hi
have now agreedto go t a hen night in nov , i am trying to get a social life again , and paid deposit so im commited i am concerned about going in a23 seater limo ! and not being able to leave when i want but dont want to miss out on jurney as probably will be fun so coupled with the whole drinking thing its become another thing to worry abiut I AM SAD
still at least i am agrreing to go last year i wouldnt have just have to get there tho hmm
dan

desperate
10-10-05, 14:13
hey dan,

it's not sad at all!!

you know u don't have to drink if u don't want to? or just have a few glasses of wine?

Meg
10-10-05, 14:17
Desperate- you have been doing so well, don't let this pub thing get in the way, if its that important to you , you'll give it another go soon when you're feeling in a different mind set to tackle it when you're not tired etc

Dan- 23 seater limo - wow- what fun tazzing about town in that in all your glad rags.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Dan
10-10-05, 14:38
desperate
thanks i no i dont have too drink but i did used to enjoy the odd tipple i suppose i should have a trial drinking run before
and im sure you will manage a pub when you are ready remember you dont have to stay let me no how it goes when you are up to going
yes meg the 23 seater sounds fun might even go to get hair done ( its been 6months as i get anxious in hairdresser oh god it gets worse ha ha ha )
happy thought to all
dan

desperate
15-10-05, 20:26
I get anxious in the hairdressers too....think it's coz i know i've got to sit their sometimes!!

Just to say i went to the pub the other day and spend an hour and a half there....was quite quiet mind and had half a pint....small steps hey! i was ok there, i find it hard with the depression to and feel like i've got to put on a bit of an act sometimes...had a bit of rescue remedy in the loos to as walking there ade me quite anxious too.

april tones
16-10-05, 01:03
your not alone, i found my self liie this tonight. i felt like i had a apill, convinced my self i had drinkl spiked. so embarressed! xxx

apriltones

alexis
16-10-05, 01:15
There is no way I can get in a pub unless it is in the middle of the day with 6 clients including children. I would love to be able to, for 24 years I have gone out every other week with husband and relations, then for last 18 months it has been a no go area, Im not sure why, alot of it has to do with people in my space, everybody talking at once,altho once over this was a buzz for me. to get to the front of the queue before it was my turn etc,anyway no good going on, just to let you know you are not alone,

Alexis

desperate
16-10-05, 11:59
hi alexis....same here really.....same time spell as well 18months although i tried not to avoid it i guess.

i think it's the pressure to seem like u r having a good time sometimes that does me in.

boy
24-10-05, 23:46
I also feel anxious in pubs. They're so intimidating to me. I'm working on it tho.

desperate
25-10-05, 11:25
Glad to hear it Boy, sometimes i'm ok just others when there is lots of noise etc i find too much.