PDA

View Full Version : Found something which has really helped

Holly
07-10-05, 21:57
Hi all,

I suffer general anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia. I'm on citalopram, started on 10mg a day and I'm now on 40mg. I registered here ages ago and was at my lowest point, I saw no light at the end of the tunnel. However I've made a breakthrough, and I wanted to tell you about it because it might help.
I went for my first hypnotherapy appt. last week - and something happened - something good. I chatted to the therpaist for around an hour, told her stuff about myself I've never told anyone. She hypnotised me for around 20 mins. Anyway, I came out of there with a determination that I haven't felt for over a year[Wow!].
My appt. with her was the first I'd left the house for about 3 weeks. I had more or less stopped going out the past couple of months, as I was just panicking every time I ventured out the front door, even going to the local shop with my husband. But, today I actually went shopping on the high street. I don't know how I managed but I did, I never went alone (one step at a time!) but I still went. AND I had breakfast in a cafe, felt scared but I blanked it and this time it worked!
I spoke to my doctor about the therapy, and she said whilst she can't recommend hypnotherapy (not enough clinical research), she had heard very positive things about it. The therapist speaks to your unconscious mind and, according to her, your unconscious mind is the area that believes whatever you tell it - good or bad.
I'm going for another session next week and can't wait, I get 'homework' next time! I honestly feel like this lady is my saviour!!! Let me know your thoughts, if you have had this therapy, and experiences. Previously, I had tried relaxation exercises, CBT techniques, the meds I'm on and none have had such a positive affect.

Holly xxx

Trev
07-10-05, 22:09
Hi Holly,

really pleased for you. :)

All the best,
Trev

Holly
07-10-05, 22:15
Thank you Trev.
I was scared because I had started to feel real hopelessness recently, I wanted to try anything I could. As everyone on here will know, when you suffer mental illness you would walk to the ends of the earth to make it go away, to be 'normal' again. I wanted everyone to know that this therapy has really helped, and that is after just one session!

Trev
07-10-05, 22:32
I always reckon, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Until you try, how do you know?

I've heard of other people responding well to hypnotherapy, not only for anxiety but for all sorts of stuff. If it works, stick with it I reckon. I'd also be interested to hear how your next session goes. Hope it continues to work well for you.

Cheers,
Trev

pips
07-10-05, 22:34
Great news Holly.

I'm so glad it helped you, Here's to future sucsesses!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Holly
07-10-05, 22:35
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your good wishes (and Pips and Trev too :D)!
Nigel, you have said EXACTLY what my therapist said, she likened it to data in my head, stored on a computer.
I will certainly let you know how it goes. It is quite pricey, £45 a session (the woman is highly recommended and busy) so I am going every 10 days for now. Have to save my pennies but if it helps so much, then it will be money very well spent.

Holly xxx

Meg
07-10-05, 23:59
Glad you've found something that helps Holly

Good luck with the next visits

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

alexis
08-10-05, 00:15
Hi, this is something Ive always thought about but never dared do, I read your post with great interest, cheers, Love Alexis,xx

Alexis

Karen
08-10-05, 04:39
Hi Holly

Great to hear this has helped you so much and I hope it continues to do so.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tygwyn
08-10-05, 08:00
Great to hear that you've found something that is really helping you Holly. I've been using relaxation CD's (hypnosis based) and they do seem to help me.

I look forward to hearing an update after your next session!

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Elaine1
08-10-05, 08:12
Hi Holly

Fantastic news - you must feel on top of the world!

I truely believe that it is our sub conscious that gives us so many issues, so was very interested to read yours and other posts.

I had been told similar things to you about how the subconscious mind learns etc!

Look forward to hearing about your progress.

Hope you have a positive weekend.

Take care

Elaine XX :D:D

Piglet
08-10-05, 11:50
Hi Holly,

I am so pleased for you.

I use Glenn Harrold self hypnosis cd's regularly and they never fail to relax me so I'm sure going to a hypnosist and having one to one attention must be really good.

If I could afford it I would definately consider it.

Let us know how it continues.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

carlin
08-10-05, 14:13
Hi Holly,
I am so happy you have found something that helps, i did exactly the same a year ago and managed to go on holiday. Unfortunately, for me, it cost 75 pound per session(and there were extras at times) and to be honest, can't really afford that on a regular basis, but it definately worked for me and i would highly recommend it!!!!!!!! take care, keep at it and let us know how you get on xxxxxx

nomorepanic
08-10-05, 14:48
Holly

I am so pleased it is working for you. I used to go regularly and loved it - look at this page on the website ...

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/hypnotherapy

Good luck with future sessions and I hope things continue to improve for you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Holly
08-10-05, 15:11
Thank you all SO much for your lovely words of support and encouragement.
It helps a great deal to come here and read posts from people who know EXACTLY how I feel.

Holly xxx (PS, I'm still feeling A-OK!!)

Sue K with 5
12-10-05, 23:24
Hi Holly

Thanks for that! I am currently undergoing CBT but I have always been interested to know how someone with agoraphobia got on with Hypnotherapy and I would love it if you could keep me informed

I have had AGORAPHOBIA for a long time now so this could be an interesting breakthrough

take care

Sue with 5

scknight

Holly
17-10-05, 16:45
Hi All!

Well I've been for my second session of hypnotherapy this afternoon.
I lay flat this time to be hypnotised and found it even more relaxing, last time I was sat up in a big comfy chair. The lady has a beautiful garden, wooded and private so we were in the conservatory this time - it was a lovely setting.
Today we had a talk beforehand about how I had been the last 10 days, she was really pleased that I had been out, and that I was no longer feeling anxious when lying in bed trying to sleep (THAT has been brilliant).
Then I had my hypnosis, I had a lovely big silk duvet over me, it felt very cosy and luxurious! My sister came with me, she read her book in the living room and said I was in for the hypnosis over 45 mins - I felt like I had only been in there 5 minutes, very strange! Margaret (the therapists name) did the 'white light' hypnosis - she explains how the white light is travelling through your body and sweeping away the negativity from EVERY part of my body, not just cleansing my mind. It was blissfully relaxing. I can't tell you much more about the hypnosis itself, other than how relaxed I felt - as I say, I felt it only lasted 5 minutes, it went so quick in my mind!
After we came home, my sis and I took my dogs out a nice long walk and I felt fantastic, not an exaggeration, I really felt and still feel, fantastic. I am attending an NHS psychologist next week (my doctor referred me) and then 2 days later I am back seeing Margaret. I really feel it is helping me, I feel I may need a good few sessions, but guess what, I was really looking forward to going today. I have 'homework' this time, she has gave me a booklet explaining self hypnosis, it repeats all the stuff she said to me during the session - I'm going to do it every day. Hope everyone is doing/feeling good :)

Holly xxx