PDA

View Full Version : cipralex 2

MikeyT
08-10-05, 19:41
I too have just started taking Cipralex (5mg) over the last week, and during parts of yesterday and today I have not felt good.
It is very difficult to distinguish what are side effects and what are just the same old anxiety symptoms.
Really find it difficult to recover from a not to good start to the day for the rest of the day, I tend to dwell on it and find it difficult to stop this.
I have also had a headache for most of the day - which is unusual for me, so I put this down to the medication, slept well last night and I have managed to go out on the mountain bike for an hour this afternoon.
I did wake up this morning feeling rather hot, and felt anxious until about 11am, I tried doing a few bits and bobs around the house as a distraction.
My GP did mention the side effects and gave me diazepam (spelling) to counter act these, but I am trying to resist taking these.
Spoke to my councellor yesterday - she didn't dismiss the medication, but thought I would have success if I tackled my negative thoughts, which is like a hamster on a wheel, I have the negative thoughts because of the anxiety and I also should try and change my life style as far as my work goes because I work from home, which I agree with her that this is probably not a good idea for someone with panic disorder.
Final points.
How long do the side effects last with Cipralex and do they have an effect and how long before they start working.
Also any tips on challenging deep routed negative thoughts.
Cheers
Mick

tygwyn
08-10-05, 19:47
Hi Mick

Sorry I'm not able to help you with medication but thought you might be interested in a book that I have just ordered (it comes highly recommended on this site!). Its called 'What to say when you talk to yourself' - I've ordered it from www.play.com for £5.49 with free delivery. Worth having a look at anywyay.

Hopefully someone else will be along shortly to help with the medication.

Good luck

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Dan
08-10-05, 22:05
Hi mick
i took cipralex last year for the recommended 9 months cutting down to alternate days after 6 months i found that for first week at most my anxiety increased well only really my Pa s got stronger then after that all settled down i would still have anxious days but v v v rarely pa s and the anxious days got fewer and farer apart
i also have a job that is not ideal but changing is easier said than done mine fits in so well with school and i have a child soo ... anyway good luck they certainly helped me feel free to PM if anymore ?question
take care good luck and belive in yourself cos at end of day only you can make yourself better
danielle

mjh74
10-10-05, 00:43
Hi Mike,

Don't be afraid to take the diazepam if you need them. I did when first starting Cipralex. I'm 6 months into them now and worked up from 5mg to 20mg. Initially I felt how you described and had a terrible headache for about a week. An anxiety increase (if I didn't take the diazepam too) and cold sweats but felt hot. This went after about 2 weeks but started to decrease at the start of the second week. I was given 2mg of diazepam to take 3 times a day and stopped those after 2 weeks. I have a load left though and if I have a bad day I just take 1, no biggy.

I started to feel quite a bit better at 10mg but the anxiety was still troublesome so I moved up to 20mg and after a month on those I felt even more able to cope. I have to say though, I'm now about 6 months into them and I'm still slowly getting better, whether that be that I'm learning to cope with my anxieties or that the medication is still altering my brain chemistry. Some GPs seem to say that you'll feel the 'real' benefit from these drugs after about 6 months. I thought 'what a load of twoddle' when I heard this but I guess now from experience, there is some truth in it!

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Best Wishes,

Mark

Phill2
10-10-05, 03:45
Hi Guys
I'm 4 weeks into them and had the same experience up til last week when I asked for the dose to be upped to 10mg.It's been getting better ever since.I'm also taking 5mg diazepam twice daily until the Cipralex kicks in properly
Stick with it cause I can feel it doing good
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

mazz
10-10-05, 08:44
iam scared of them , ive only taken 2 andfeel worst than ever.iam back up the docs today ,iam taking 5mg of diamzepam which i hate too , but it does help .wonder if i can stop the cipralex now cause ive only taken 2

tygwyn
10-10-05, 09:10
Hi Mazz

Don't worry about having to take the Diazepam for now. All that it does is relax you so that you don't get more and more worked up.

I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem stopping the Cipralex (if you wanted to) now after only taking two. I felt exactly the same as you with Citalopram and only took two. The first day I felt like a zombie and the second day I had acute anxiety. I think one of the problems too Mazz is that you're not really happy taking meds (the same as me) and so maybe you need to look at alternatives? Have a good chat with your doc today anyway and see what they say.

Take care

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

mazz
10-10-05, 10:15
thanks tygwyn ,just got back from docs ,sad i must keep taking the cipralex now started mmmmmmmmmm not sure about that .i had to take diamzepam today as i had the most awful panic attack at 6 this morning ,,, he,s arranging counselling for me , but when that will be i dunno. hope your good today

mjh74
10-10-05, 10:22
Hi Mazz,

Can I just say that I too had some acute anxiety when first starting Cipralex but it really does die down. If you can just stick it out for a few weeks, you'll see that things really do start to calm down and you start to feel the benefits.
I too don't like taking drugs but as someone once said to me, it's only like a diabetic taking medication to keep them going.... As for the diazepam, it's just a temporary measure to ease you onto these things. I took 2mg, 3 times daily for the first 2 weeks and it really helped. 6 months down the line and my life is really getting back on track.

Mark

mazz
10-10-05, 10:28
thanks mjh , its just a vicous circle i need to get my head round i guess . heard it kills ya sex drive ,,mmmmmmmm dont want that lol

Phill2
10-10-05, 10:56
Hi Mike
I got my drive back on it
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

mazz
10-10-05, 11:03
can u take that much diamzepam and not be hooked

mjh74
10-10-05, 12:55
Put it this way Mazz, I was on 4mg of diazepam, 3 times a day for 3 months when my anxiety was really severe. I came off it with no problems whatsoever and with the Cipralex alone I'm now feeling pretty damn good!

Mark

mazz
10-10-05, 13:45
thanks mark , that really helps ,so here goes .bit scared of the first 2 weeks but ill survive .thanks again

MikeyT
10-10-05, 14:28
Thanks for everyone who has replied - its good to hear from people who have or are in the same situation and to get good feedback, regarding all the self doubting thoughts about meds.
Need to focus on the future, also making plans to change my working structure.
At the moment - I work solely from home, all week, sometimes with little interaction with other people.
A client who is a good friend, who I do all his work for, is keen for me to set up a system in his premises, so I can do work their also.
So this may also be a positive step forward, as my anxiety only came back to this level after I started working alone from home.
It was always far more manageable when I was going out to work.

Meg
10-10-05, 14:38
Yes Mikey , having company and distraction on tap really helps.

Everyone with anxiety needs to do a lifestyle audit and see what can be changed to help a bit more.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

bones
12-10-05, 11:50
Hi
Im taking Cipralex started on 10mg now im on 20mg. been on the latter now for nearly a week. I still feel anxious and have good days and not so good. Encouraging to hear that the meds might take 6 months to really kick in, so i will carry on with the course till i feel better, then review again. Never be afraid of taking the medication i was scared stiff at first because i thought i had lost control of myself having to relay on outside help to recover but no one would hesitate on having a broken arm fixed would they and then taking a course of pain killers, its because our illness cannot be seen that frightens us all.
Also the only side effects im expereincing now is whilst asleep. I awake a couple of times each night ringing of sweat my hair is soaked and so is my pillow, i often have to change. Anyone else experience this.

what ever happens today it will still bring the morning