PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck

pinky
13-01-04, 23:16
Hi

I am stuck in a cycle of panic. When I leave the house I think I'm going to have an asthma attack. And early evening I feel edgy at home too. I have been to the dr many times over the past year, he says that my asthma is so mild I shouldn't notice it, my breathing tests are all fine. I take inhalers though I dont really need them and I am constantly measuring my peak flow. I have never had a serious asthma attack and I dont know why I am so freaked out.

stimpy
14-01-04, 01:17
Hi pinky

Being stuck in a cycle of panic is something all the forum members can relate to.
We have all been there at sometime or another.

The main thing is to try and keep calm. Keep telling yourself that everything is alright, and there is nothing to be afraid of.
If at all possible try to relax and keep yourself busy to take your mind off things.

I hope you feel better soon

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Excentric

Buby
14-01-04, 02:37
hi Pinky, welcome.

im in a cycle too and liz is right, you do have to tell yourself you're going to be fine, even though you may still panic after you just have to keep doing it. something great for taking your mind off things is cluedo cause you have to figure something different out instead off your self. i got it for christmas and although it seems like a boring game, its really not. or clean things even if they dont need cleaning like your kitchen or dust off your shelves, there's always something to do around the house that you have never got to or cant be bothered, and now is the time to start.

hugs and take top tips off the forum there are some great ideas. Rachel xx

diana
14-01-04, 17:02
Hiya Pinky,

Welcome aboard, there is loads of tips and support here. We have all been where you are right now, and some may still be there working through things. So you are not alone in the journey. Keep posting, let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
14-01-04, 17:26
Hello,

Did you read /see someone else with asthma have an attack ? When you were taught about your inhalers did you get good training ?
How long have you been asthmatic ?

Meg

pinky
14-01-04, 23:05
Hi

thanks for all the messages

Radar, I have never seen anyone have an asthma attack in real life, just on tv. I have had asthma for 3 years, although not all the drs are convinced that I actually have it, I think I hyperventilate instead of asthma, but I had a reaction to ibuprofen which led dr to first diagnose asthma.

emo
15-01-04, 00:08
hi pinky
i hope that just by looking at this site and posting messages and reading you're replies you will start to feel better soon,ive felt better about my panic attacks this last week since i found the site than at any other time in the last 3 1/2 years.
do you have any warning that you're going to get an attack?
i do and i try to anything i can to distract myself with anything i can,puzzle books are a good distraction,or calling someone for a chat sometimes works for me.
take care
love em xxxx

Meg
15-01-04, 16:34
What .. A reaction to something does not constitute asthma..

Hyperventialtion - now there's an issue , the similarity to asthma is that you may find it harder to breathe out for long and tend to breathe in and puff out.

There are several threads on breathing correctly on this forum and several techniques on the main site. Matt may help out here by finding the links for you. Ta.

Alternatively ring up any Yoga / meditation teacher out of the yellow pages and ask for a breathing lesson if you don't want to go to actual classes/sessions .

You need to learn and be supervised for box breathing , abdominal breathing and alternate nostril breathing for starters .

Once you feel in control, you'll be miles better.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
15-01-04, 17:13
Hi all,

Good posts, I have also been diagnosed with asthma this past year, but after reading these posts I wonder if that diagnosis is correct. Thanks for the info. all. I wish you well, and luck Pinky. I know you will tons of help here, I have. :)

Love,

Diana xxxx

pinky
15-01-04, 23:01
Hello

I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one with panic, I was feeling so isolated and cut off from reality.

I will contact a yoga teacher tomorrow and learn some breathing.

Does anyone know which would be best to try, cbt or hypnotherpy? I saw a psychiatrist when I first started the panics but it was useless, didn't offer any useful techniques to cope, He just put me on a high dose of meds and banged on about my family every session.

Best wishes to you all

Meg
16-01-04, 15:56
Pinky,

CBT is medium term therapy and is more proven research wise as a solution but hypnotherapy can give you a welcome boost but generally is not a long term cure. The effects wear off so you need top ups. It's also more effective with some than others.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

pinky
18-01-04, 23:40
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I am going to my first hypnotherapy session in the morning, quite nervous. I am still waiting for the cognitive therapist to call me back to make an appointment.

benoo5
19-01-04, 00:21
hi pinky,

go to to GENERAL ANXIETY,and scroll down to thread...yogic breathing technique....dated jan 4th.....its a great way to calm yourself,and is proven over many years...best wishes..bryan.

diana
19-01-04, 04:08
Hiya Pinky,

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow. Please post to let us know how your session goes. Thinking of you :).......

Diana xxxx

Meg
19-01-04, 14:41
Hi Pinky ,

Excellent to have taken steps so quickly to help yourself. I hope it goes well for you.

Keep in touch .

Meg

pinky
21-01-04, 20:43
Hiya

The hypnotherapy session was really good, afterwards I went and got my nails done, did my banking and went shopping. I have been out both days since. It has really made a difference, I know its not a magical cure but its helped loads.

I'm off to London tommorrow to get my hair done and I am slightly nervous now, I will play the tape the hypnotherapist gave me tonight and do some breathing, I'm determined not to back out of it.

Best wishes to you all

diana
22-01-04, 17:15
Hiya Pinky,

Good for you. Sounds like you are well on your way to recovery. You did so well, keep up the great work. Post to let us know how you are getting on. Keep pressing forward.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx