PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

misshoney
21-08-09, 16:26
Hello all,just joined this site,i've suffered with anxiety,panic attacks,agoraphobia for many years.i accepted the way that i lived,but a few months ago i started having difficulty swallowing my food and taking my medication,even though there isn't anything physically wrong I still have these symptoms.I have been meanong to join NMP for a long time,but have never had the courage or confidence to do so.Many thanks to you all

jill
21-08-09, 19:45
Hi hun :D:hugs:

:welcome: to the site.

You have made your first step hunny by joining AND THATS GREAT you should be sooooo proud of yourself. If you have read some of the site you will know, you ARE NOT alone in how you think or feel, we all know and understand what you are going through, but please hun, note the word GOING THROUGH, because this mean,s YOU WILL, with alot of hard work, time and the right support, come out the other side.

So now you HAVE the courage AND confidence, keep posting keep venting, it helps to talk to people who understand. There is lots of great info on this site, in the fourms and behind the forums, have you read first steps how to cope, a very good read.

There are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

CONS
21-08-09, 20:02
Ahhh the choking feeling, i remember it well. Always seemed to be one of the more uncomfortable symptoms i found. Happy you joined, it does take courage but as with all things, talking makes it easier and being understood makes it even more so.

Even though you have had issues for awhile please take a moment to view my post i made here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

If it saves you time and stress then im happy.

Welcome :)

misshoney
22-08-09, 12:56
Many thanks for your support Jill and Cons,I think its going to take a while for me to get familiar with NMP,hope i have posted this correct thanks again i'll be in touch,miss honey

chantelle
22-08-09, 13:02
Hi miss honey

I have pasted the info from the depression guide on NMP and there is also a forum dedicated to symptons.

Welcome to the site and hope this helps.

Chantelle

Throat tightening/Choking/Swallowing problems

What you feel:
Often one of the first symptoms of anxiety. People complain of feeling as though they will choke or being strangled. In reality its not nearly so dramatic - the muscles in the throat contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are. You also get a dry mouth and it can feel like you cannot drink but you can.

You feel as though there is something stuck in your throat or sometimes feel there is a lump in your throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a tightness in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow. Sometimes this feeling can lead you to think that you may suffocate or get something stuck in your throat.

What causes this:

When in danger, stress biology produces a tightening in the throat muscles which produces the choking or 'something stuck in the throat' feeling. When in a nervous or stressful situation, many people will experience this feeling. It is often referred to as 'a lump on your throat'.

There is minimal danger of choking or suffocating under normal conditions, however, some people are very sensitive to things in their throat and therefore caution should always be observed when eating. Chewing food thoroughly and slowly will prevent inadvertently swallowing something that may provoke someone to gag.
This symptom can come and go, and may seem to intensify if one becomes focused on it.

ilovetoast
22-08-09, 13:20
Welcome,

I think you have come to just the right place for some support, there seem to be many nice and genuine people around here who have experience with many different areas of anxiety and depession.

I can't beleieve this, but I've been to the doctor 3 times with a lump in the throat sensation and tightness...obviously me being me I've been convinced I had throat cancer *sigh* and they've never found an explaination...I've NEVER heard of the explaination above relating it to anxiety! So I've learnt something completely new that helps me already!

We're all glad to have you, I hope you make good friends! Strtike me up as number one...I'm as daft as a brush and I'll keep a smile on your boat race.

den68
22-08-09, 14:24
you are not on your own with this lump in throat feeling loads of people on here get it. I had it for months then it just went about 5 weeks ago and then iv had a bit more anxiety over last few days and its back. If you focus on it it feels worse and you become constantly aware of it, ( thats what im doing now ). I know it will go as soon as my anxiety drops abit and you will probably find the same

Ragna
22-08-09, 14:35
Welcome :) You certainly came to the right place :)

I get exactly the same thing to the point where I am always the last to finish my dinner. I chew carefully, always scared as choking. :wacko:

What I think I love about this site, is from feeling alone, and that you are going crazy, you suddenly find out that all your aches, pains and worries are shared by so many others. :yesyes:

Ragna xx