PDA

View Full Version : Motorway/Dual Carriage way and Emetophobia

lilac kitten
14-01-04, 13:27
A little while ago I finally realised I suffered from Panic Attacks whilst on the motorway or a dual carriageway. I think because I feel trapped and theres no easy escape or stoppage place.

As a teenager I used to feel sick all the time, which now I put down to anxiety and hormones, and developed a phobia about this as well.

I started to see a psychotherapist a couple of years ago about the driving thing and we've come a long way - although Motorways and Big A roads are still a major problem. But just recently I've started to get my fear of being sick when I'm out and about back, and I'm dreading telling my therapist, but I will as he's really good.

I am a strong person and fairly confident, but I was a born worrier, and had overprotective parents.

I've so far got by using the relaxation techniques and had no medication which I'm quite pleased about, and I actually tell people that I get panic attacks - like the dentist etc. and I don't feel embarrassed by them anymore.

Has anyone else had a similar phobia and how are you progressing with treatment?

Matt
14-01-04, 14:00
Hiya! :)

I know I get worried about the same things as you its a feeling of arrrghhhh I may not be able to get off the motorway easily for another 15 miles! [:o] What if there is bad traffic and I'm stuck here for another couple of hours [:o]

I know nic has a similar thing ;)

I am much much better than I used to be. One thing I did was to just do lots of driving and stopping at services and in laybys on the motorway! ie just getting used to the surroundings etc...

Then as I felt better doing that I started to go traffic jam hunting... ie making sure I was on the motorway in really heavy traffic so I knew I was going to be in traffic!

Hope some of that helps! :)

Take a look around the site I think there are a couple more threads such as this one... Driving up the A1 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=327) about the driving thing!

quote:I am a strong person and fairly confident, but I was a born worrier

mmm that is pretty much exactly the same as me!! :)

Take it easy matey and keep at it sounds like your doing great!

Matt

Meg
14-01-04, 17:57
Hi Lilac kitten

It's a concern that you're worried about telling your therapist.

Glad you've managed to deal with it thus far .

Matts advice is spot on. Build up slowly .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
14-01-04, 20:55
Hi Lilac

This is still my biggest problem and I panic most in the car.

Have you read my story - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/mystory.htm

I can relate to how you feel and I am trying hard to conquer it.

I am driving to Bristol alone on Sunday - about 3.5 hours drive and I am trying to remain postitive about it but I am scared :-(

I have no choice but to do it cos I am going on a course from work and I can't get out of it.

Will let you know how it goes!

Nicola

benoo5
14-01-04, 22:13
hi lilac,

i think the only people,who like motorways,are travelling salesmen,they spend the journey,practising there sales pitch,and working out there commision,but jim will probably disagree with that heeee.

as a paramedic,ime quite often,on the M25,and i quite enjoy it..but thats where it ends,socially, i try to avoid them,i would rather leave an hour early,and go bye the scenic route.

matts advice is good,if you hate trains,just go one stop,next week two stops etc...the same method can be used on the motorway.

nic,you did well,last time,ime sure you will this time..be thinking of you...best wishes..bryan.

Buby
14-01-04, 23:32
hi Lilac,

i dont have a phobia of driving as it calms me down and plus i dont drive. but i do have a major fear of being sick and others aswell. it is my worsed, scariest fear in the world, i have alot of phobias as you might see when you come on here. but being sick is terrifying as you know. i haveny really come that far with helping it but i dont panic as much as i used to since ive been on here (thanks guys) they are really, really, really nice people including Su but she mainly mental so watch out! everyone on here will help you any way they can, theyve heped me alot.

keep posting

hugs Rachel xxx

lilac kitten
15-01-04, 12:39
Thanks all for your positive responses.

Matt, I've done the M3 going one junction up each way with someone with me and feel OK ish about that now. Interestingly you mentioned Traffic Jams, and I didn't, which is interesting, because coming back from my Dads on the A303 we got stuck at Stonehenge and I had a major panic attack, and I wasn't even driving. If that was in a town - fine, but on a long restricting road, I started panicing what if I need to be sick. Not that I even probably really felt sick at all. My aim now is to do the next junctions down on the motorway alone, and I'd like to do the A303 to my Dads, although I wouldn't do it alone as its a family trip.

Nicola, I read your story a long time ago when I was first recommended to this site by my health visitor. Again its spot on it could be me. Good luck with the Bristol trip - personally I'd route plan around all the roads I wanted to avoid. I think just getting from A - B is good for me.

Its also interesting to see people come out the other side. One thing I have noticed is all people who seem to get panic attacks are strong confident people. I will tell my therapist everything as hes very good. I must admit when I did Pilates I was building up confidence, but since the birth of no 2 son and working full time with two kids I don't get much spare/relaxation time, and I think thats one big major factor in all this as well. It also doesn't help that baby no 2 throws up a lot, which is fine as I can handle that, but my partner and no 1 son can't and they start panicing and retching which starts me off and all four of us are in a right state. Actually I think my partner is bad in certain situations and although he tries to understand me, I think he's not relaxed enough himself.

One big step we've all taken is to admit we have a problem and address it. I know it all sounds a bit like AA, but its true, and once you admit there is a problem you are half way there to solving it.

Thanks again for all your replies, and I will keep you all posted with my progress.

Lilac
x

nomorepanic
15-01-04, 21:41
quote:Originally posted by lilac kitten

Nicola, I read your story a long time ago when I was first recommended to this site by my health visitor. Again its spot on it could be me. Good luck with the Bristol trip - personally I'd route plan around all the roads I wanted to avoid. I think just getting from A - B is good for me.

Lilac - did they refer you to this site or "No Panic" and you found "Nomorepanic" from there?

Just interested.

Nicola

stimpy
16-01-04, 00:17
I'm not the only person who is afraid of the car and traffic then. - That's a relief!

One of my biggest problem is cars U-turning at the end of our road, I just can't watch.
I once attended a road accident at the bottom of the road in which a young girl on a Motorbike was hurt. I heard the accident and ran out of the house to see if anyone needed help. I gave reassurance to the driver of the car, contacted the family of the young girl, and stayed with her until the paramedics arrived.

A few weeks later I was told of another accident at the bottom of our road, this time a young man on a motorbike was killed. (Thank goodness I wasn't around to assist that one as it was told it was a very messy accident!)

If I'm sitting in the car I can't look when cars are passing in front of ours, or if they are too close, if someone is crossing the road or they are on a bike near us.
I even have to shut my eyes if cars are driving up the road at speed and I'm standing on the path. I can't even cross busy roads on my own or watch other people cross the road.

It took me a long time to gain enough confidence to get back into the car.
First I used to sit in it and clean it, then I would sit in it while it was reversing off the driveway, then I would sit in it while Steve drove me to the top of the street and back home again. Then I got enough confidence for a trip around the block and local places near by, with out my homing device telling me I'm too far from home.

I'm working up enough bottle to make a visit to my mum's house in Durham, which is a good 3 hour drive up to the A1(M). - It takes time but I'm getting there.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

lilac kitten
16-01-04, 12:17
Nicola,

You may be right I don't have the flyer any more, they gave me a load of gumph on mental health and I just went an investigated all I could find. Either way it was a good find as some of the stories on this site have really helped give me some new found confidence - purely the fact I'm not alone. Some peoples comments in other threads also get you to reassess your own situation and try to think more logically.

Stimpy, well done mate, looks like you are thinking logically. Its not easy I know but you sound like you really want to control your panic. I don't envy you the drive up the A1(M), but you definitely have more guts than me at the moment. Good luck with the journey.

It would be good to get some updates from you guys as to how you get on. I'll do my bit too and let you know how I progress and if I can think of any useful hints and tips to help cope.

Cheers
Ruth

nomorepanic
17-01-04, 18:58
Ruth

My biggest test is tomorrow. I have a 3 - 3.5 hour drive to Bristol and I am going alone. I am anxious about it but I have sat and planned the route so I should be too busy trying to find my way there to worry about Panic.

No Panic are a great charity - have you become a member yet?

Liz - good luck on the drive - let us know when you plan to do it ok?

Nicola

Matt
17-01-04, 19:03
Ruth they are some top roads you have been testing on hehe I used them too!:D I hate that bit by stone henge. Try to take in the scenery its lovely around there.. That was one of the reasons for me driving along there because I knew there was something nice to look at to distract me!:)

Keep at it guys and take a pad of paper and a pen wiv u so you can write down exactly how your feeling then rationalise it after the event if you cant manage to do it while your there!:)

m