PDA

View Full Version : Psycho-sematic pain

roachford
09-10-05, 21:38
Is it a common thing for people who easily get stressed to suffer from psycho-sematic symptoms?

E.g. If I worry that I might have colon trouble, I could almost bring on aches and pains in my side?

Is this heard of?

kt
10-10-05, 15:42
Hi Roachford,
i can get things like that too. I will think to myself that i haven't had a headache in a while and then get one! I also am very sensitive to how my body is feeling and home in on any ache or pain thinking its worse than it actually is. I think a lot of my anxiety attacks are psycho- sematic, i will imagine something is wrong with me and imagine i get all the symptoms. I don't watch any programes or read any papers about health issues and diseases because i know i will obssess about them and think that i may have that too!!
Hope this makes sense, kt x

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

Meg
10-10-05, 16:44
Psychosomatic effects are a reality.

Often it is as Kirsty says a heightened self awareness that spark some things off by just a twinge that you then grasp onto and magnify by worrying.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

mum2four
10-10-05, 22:50
It not just wth pain either the same sort of thing happen's with all sorts of thing's yawning is a big one.

Every one is different psycho-semetaic symptom's can happen with anything if your thinking about it too much. The problem with Anxiety and OCD is it feeds on these types of things. A symptom may have startedc for one reason and continues or come back when ever you think about it in the same way the our memory store images and feeling it all so store's the pain we felt sometime's as well. That's the only way I can explain it anyway.

I recently was recently put on to and anti-depressant/OCD med for my anxiety but it also stop my 6 year's extreamly bad scratching habbit i had. Our brain send out messages's and sometime message's get repeated and over and over well after it's needed or wanted. The med stop's the repeated and unwated messages's it's got something to do with the chemical that our brain release's or meant to release or something.

OCD is one of the biggest example's of unwanted and repeated message's cause it's the nature of OCD to do that. The mesasage's are so controling over the person and thay become compellled to do something to counter-act the thought which lead's to the obsessive side of OCD.

I hope this makes sence to you.