PDA

View Full Version : morbid thoughts

halfempty
09-10-05, 22:18
Why do I have these awful thoughts about losing my first grandchild ?

Baby Rebecca is now 2 months old. I am O.K. when I see them, but these irrational thoughts creep in when I am away from them. The thought of anything happening to this little perfect human being is mind blowing.

Perhaps is something else in my brain chemistry causing this.

Any ideas, anybody other grandparents feel the same, or am I just a hopeless case ?

AMaskell

meatybuddy
09-10-05, 22:28
hi halfempty

firstly welcome to the forums - i would like to say that your not a hopeless case it could be that you are missing your grand daughter more than you realise and that sends your mind into overdrive with worry that she is ok but i would have thought that if "god forbid" anything was wrong with your grand daughter they would let you know.

have you said anyhting to your son/daughter about how you are feeling?

best wishes

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

mum2four
10-10-05, 00:17
If reasing with your self about how likly it is to happen is not working and you feel like you really have no control over when you have the though's. If the thought's are interfearing with dayly life I would talk to a Dr about them.

Talking to some one about the thought's could help you and/or distracting your self could help as well. We all have automatic thought's but you can over ride you auto matic thought's by diliberatly thinking about something really happy that is compleatly off the topic. It take's time to make the our brain's stop thinking bad thought cause only good thought's produce the right chemical that make's the brain start to think automaitc good thought.

I hope you feel better soon.

mazz
10-10-05, 08:11
i agree with mum2four , its hard to get the negative thoughts out of ya head, try to stay positive , nothings going to happen . talk to someone like your gp , it may help, good luck

Tracy68
10-10-05, 09:43
Hiya
Just wanted to say that I went through the exact same thing when I had my first daughter. I would cry myself to sleep at night thinking about what might happen to her and what would I do if I lost her.
Its horrible isn't it when you can't shake these thoughts.
I went to my doctor in the end (turned out i had pn depression). Might be worth having a chat with someone......but you most definately aren't a hopeless case.

Take care
Tracy
xx

halfempty
10-10-05, 10:40
Thanks to all you lovely people for answering my message on morbid fears. Perhaps a visit to my G.P. might help.

AMaskell

Meg
10-10-05, 14:24
Hi

These thoughts are totally normal for all parents/grandparents.

It's how involved you are and how all consuming the thoughts are abd what effect that they are having on you that dictates to what extent you are right to be seeking medical help.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?