PDA

View Full Version : sertraline withdrawal

pammy1944
22-08-09, 13:56
hey there folks.
Is there anyone who can tell me how long it is before the body is free of sertraline after withdrawal? I've been on this withdrawal for weeks now , reducing the dosage, and now is day 15 without any at all .I was wondering if the symptoms I'm still getting mean that the drug is still 'hovering' in my body .......I would be grateful for any replies .........thanks xx

Mazza12
11-09-09, 00:17
Well done in getting off them!
I've been on Sertraline for over a year, nearly two!!!!
I really wonder if I'll ever stop taking them!!!
I'll be interested to see how you get on!!!
Good luck :)

KK77
11-09-09, 15:42
Hi Pammy
Sertraline has a half life of 26 hours so should be out of your system in 5-6 days. Why did you come off it?
Mel77 :)

Angelai
15-09-09, 17:53
Hi Pammy, well done for coming off!

I stopped cold turkey (not recommended) and the effects really weren't half so bad as I'd been expecting. I'd been on them for 2 years, 100mg a day. Every other time I've stopped taking them I've done it very slowly, tapering the dose, and I actually felt worse.

I reckon I felt better within about 3 weeks (that's better than I felt when taking them, not 100% well).

Hope your feeling better by now x

Bethanyx
23-09-09, 10:19
Hi I had been taking Sestaline for two years..150mg I've just stopped taking it, I weaned myself off as advised by the doctor and I'm now on day 10 and I fell awful! I hope it doesn't last much longer as I don't feel 'safe' enough to go outside and I have a 21 month old son to look after.
Am interested to hear how other people coped.

lula
01-12-09, 19:57
i was on sertraline for a while and stopped cold turkey too, took about a month for the dizzy spells and detachdness to go completely, its really gradual tho so u hardly notice it, well it was for me

Panic33
01-12-09, 22:35
Those who have withdrawal symptoms - how long after taking your last tablet did you start to feel them? I have to go back to my GP this week and last time he said he would take me off them as I'm feeling much better. I did miss a day to test the water the other day and actually felt better than ever, but most admit not sure what to expect when come off full stop.

KK77
03-12-09, 15:51
Those who have withdrawal symptoms - how long after taking your last tablet did you start to feel them? I have to go back to my GP this week and last time he said he would take me off them as I'm feeling much better. I did miss a day to test the water the other day and actually felt better than ever, but most admit not sure what to expect when come off full stop.

Glad you're still feeling well. Withdrawals started about 4 days after I stopped and were awful, so I went back to 50mg, then 25mg for a few days. I still had withdrawals but not so bad as when I stopped cold turkey.

Panic33
05-12-09, 10:00
Thanks Melancholia. How are you doing now?

KK77
06-12-09, 22:13
Not great. These withdrawals aren't pleasant but getting through it.

Panic33
07-12-09, 18:26
Not great. These withdrawals aren't pleasant but getting through it.

You not taking anything mo? You got anxiety as a withdrawal?

KK77
07-12-09, 19:07
You not taking anything mo? You got anxiety as a withdrawal?

No anxiety but been having very up-and-down moods. I'm taking 25mg every other day.

You still on 100mg?

Panic33
07-12-09, 23:33
No anxiety but been having very up-and-down moods. I'm taking 25mg every other day.

You still on 100mg?

I am at the min. I was very up n down when I started taking them and when I increased dose. Hang in there m8 :)

ndraven
06-03-10, 15:41
I've read that a single 20mg dose of prozac can help with the withdrawal symptoms, as can benedryl. I'm not a doctor so please do some research prior to taking my full on advice.

I'm one that is very sensitive to withdrawals and side effects, it's just in my nature. So much so that after surgery I can only take small doses of tylenol for the pain.

That being said, last tuesday was my final dose of zoloft after 3 months of slowly tapering off 25mg a month. It is now saturday of the same week and I'm surprised to find that the symptoms are really only an annoyance. I have the brain zaps that shoot to my finger tips, to my navel and down to my toes. I am also dizzy and get mild headaches that only last a few minutes. I first thought I had some sort of inner ear infection but soon remembered that my doctor told me I should expect these exact feelings. 4 days of symptoms and they are gradually becoming less severe. But I feel for those of you who are having a hard time with it. I had a hard time not going into a full blown panic attack which is why I started the zoloft in the first place. Not many people can relate to those of us who suffer from this. Take heart and try to remember that the symptoms you are having will not be forever. I also take comfort in the fact that these symptoms are just another sign of the drug leaving my body. Whatever your reasons for coming off this drug, hold on to those reasons to help you through the trying days ahead and you'll see as I have that they are really just annoying.

I'm not a religious person but I have always loved the saying, "This too shall pass."

Smee
23-03-10, 16:01
I'm now on day 7 after stopping my 8+ years of 50-100mg a day and other than a general 'buzzy' feeling and feeling a little detached I'm pretty damn pleased with where I am.

I spent several months on 100mg because I went downhill and then got back to my 50mg basis - then 3 months ago I started a reduction to 25mg. Last week I decided to stop entirely and here I am!

This is probably one of the worst times in my life too but I'm getting through it and looking forward to the other side - of course it helps that I have a lovely wife who supports me.

Stick with it folks, it gets better.

:yesyes:

van
04-05-10, 16:29
I've been off 100mg Setraline cold turkey for approx 4 weeks and I feel like a jibbering wreck. My head is contracting and expanding, I cry at anything remotely upsetting including soaps (which incidently I try to avoid), I dream the most vivid dreams, I feel angry and scared with the world and everything that exists in it (excluding animals who can't talk back) I feel unsafe leaving the house alone, I can't work, these withdrawals are unbearable.
I've been thinking of going on a low dosage anti-anxiety tablet to deal with these withdrawal symtoms; does anyone have any suggestion or recommendations for an anti-anxiety pill to counteract the withdrawal of Setraline?????????????

Paul I
08-05-10, 16:38
Pretty much the same as I did, then I went to 25mg every 3 days, after 2 months of that I stopped, it's been 2 weeks now and have still got the occasional dizzy spell, like today for instance.

Paul I
08-05-10, 16:41
I've been off 100mg Setraline cold turkey for approx 4 weeks and I feel like a jibbering wreck. My head is contracting and expanding, I cry at anything remotely upsetting including soaps (which incidently I try to avoid), I dream the most vivid dreams, I feel angry and scared with the world and everything that exists in it (excluding animals who can't talk back) I feel unsafe leaving the house alone, I can't work, these withdrawals are unbearable.
I've been thinking of going on a low dosage anti-anxiety tablet to deal with these withdrawal symtoms; does anyone have any suggestion or recommendations for an anti-anxiety pill to counteract the withdrawal of Setraline?????????????
I tried cold turkey from 50mg a while back and had to give in and go back to the tablets, I've weaned off them now though and seem to be fairly ok, to lessen the effects of withdrawal I have been using codeine based painkillers just to take the edge off the dizzyness and anxiety, it seems to work and is only short term so shouldn't cause any problems stopping them in a couple of weeks when my body adjusts to the lack of sertraline in my system.

MoonlightFire
26-07-10, 18:06
I've recently come off sertraline after 7 years of taking between 50 and 100mgs. I think I've been off them about a month and a half now. I was fine for the first month or so and now I'm really struggling :( I'm really tired and very very anxious. I have health anxiety and that has just gone haywire over the last 2 weeks or so and I'm getting quite obsessive. I'm not sure whether to stick with it or to just go back on again. I'm going to make an appointment with the Doctor for some advice. It's getting really tough dealing with the anxiety! I come home every night from work and just burst into tears.

taffers
07-08-10, 11:22
I've been on Sertraline for almost 3 weeks, was feeling down since being made redundant, only 50mg a day, I am seeing my Dr next monday, and I want to come off the tablets, as I don't want to be on them for many months or years. I'm wondering how he will go about reducing the dosage, if at all, and what effects i will feel and for how long?

KK77
07-08-10, 20:00
I've been on Sertraline for almost 3 weeks, was feeling down since being made redundant, only 50mg a day, I am seeing my Dr next monday, and I want to come off the tablets, as I don't want to be on them for many months or years. I'm wondering how he will go about reducing the dosage, if at all, and what effects i will feel and for how long?

This is a bit of an old thread now but 3 weeks isn't long enough for the medication to work fully. I've been on sertraline for nearly a year now and although I still have my blips I think it's helped a great deal - although it took a few months to really kick in. Have a chat with your doc anyway and see what he suggests. If you do come off them it's wise to gradually taper (ie 25mg for a couple of weeks then 12.5 etc).

onceagain
07-08-10, 22:28
I'm just over a month off sertraline, I'm actually getting my head together and trying to piece the jigsaw together from the aftermath... you will get there.. x

petram
01-11-11, 13:09
gp reckons a good month !! im on week 2 n a hlf ,still get twitchy legs , like some1 s walked over ya grave feeling like shudders , headaches, anxiety n pure o still present but much better since being off ...... what stuff do u peeps get or got ? xx

petram
12-11-11, 18:26
how u getting on sharon??? im a month off seem to have a good ..ish day then a bloody bad day............ the bad days seem so much worse after a reasonally good day dont they !? xx

waccoe
05-01-12, 22:05
Hi

I came off sertraline 10 days ago after decreasing to 50mg for 2 weeks, I was on 100mg for approx 3 months, having severe side effects, "brain zaps", "brain shocks", "brain shivers", "head shocks", feel sick and dizzy, also a bit short tempered, my mood / anxiety / depression feels fine....so i guess there is a small positive.

Anyone else suffered with the electric shock head zaps? If so how long do they last.

I went to my GP today and he said he has never heard of this...yet i look on wikipedia .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome and hey presto it says they are a side effect!!

I was worried it was something non related, good old GP !!

Hope someone can help with how long i have to cope with what feels like been tazered every 5 minutes!!

Thanks Mark

R123
18-01-12, 11:16
Hello everyone, I was on sertraline for 8 years, 150mg a day and have and still am having a hard time coming off it. My GP isn't very understanding, he thinks what I see as withdrawal is just the real me, e.g, very quick to anger, depression. I was hoping it isn't me, as I don't like feeling angry all the time, over tiny things, I can't remember what I was like before I started taking it now!
Another things is, I feel completely wiped out. I am exhausted when I get up it feels like a mild hangover every day. I haven't taken any for about 5 days now, though at times it is tempting to just take one to get rid of the dizziness and low mood. I am trying not to or I will never get off it.

It is frightening to me, to not know who I really am any more. The drug has changed my personality for 8 years, made me less reactionary, more numb. I don't know whether I want to be the real me.

Thanks for listening

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Hi

I came off sertraline 10 days ago after decreasing to 50mg for 2 weeks, I was on 100mg for approx 3 months, having severe side effects, "brain zaps", "brain shocks", "brain shivers", "head shocks", feel sick and dizzy, also a bit short tempered, my mood / anxiety / depression feels fine....so i guess there is a small positive.

Anyone else suffered with the electric shock head zaps? If so how long do they last.

I went to my GP today and he said he has never heard of this...yet i look on wikipedia .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome and hey presto it says they are a side effect!!

I was worried it was something non related, good old GP !!

Hope someone can help with how long i have to cope with what feels like been tazered every 5 minutes!!

Thanks Mark

YES!!! Get them frequently, even when I just used to miss a couple of tablets. It is so hard to explain to people unless you've experienced it. My GP also doesn't believe in them, which is ridiculous!

I also got tingling in the tongue. They seem to be getting less frequent now I have been off the tablets a few days in a row, after tapering dosage.

waccoe
19-01-12, 23:06
Hi

Well it's been 4 weeks now, although I'm still getting zapped its not as bad and often, but it's still there, my GP still thinks I'm making it up!!

Think it's going to take a little while longer to be symptom free, struggle to sleep a bit too now which really helps!! And headache from hell !

Other than that coming off sertraline has been a doddle lol

R123
21-01-12, 21:25
I also had frequent headaches that did seem to be relieved by sertraline (when i gave in after trying to get off it and just took one)..my doctor thinks a lot of what I deem as physical symptoms are psychological or psychological in their roots. I think it's simply the sertraline leaving my brain..sometimes I wish I never began with it...do you?

brighteyes
23-01-12, 16:35
I've been taking Sertraline 50mg for the past six months. I came off it cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I felt absolutely fine the first week, and a bit needy and lonely beginning of week two. Today (day 14) I'm feeling worse than I have done in months. I'm crying and depressed and I don't know if it's withdrawal (seems unlikely, at this stage) or what. I've always suffered with a bit of insomnia, but it's been terrible for the last 3 days. Obviously this will have some affect on my mood, but not to this extent! I've also had a couple of mild panic attacks this morning.

Has anyone else had these symptoms, or know of anyone else who has? I don't know what to do about it and I don't want to go back on the tablets!

Reassurance and friendly words to someone in a delicate state would be appreciated.

adam.h
24-01-12, 11:01
My wife has been prescribed SSRI's for a good few years now. She was on a high dose of citalopram until about 8 months ago when she started to feel constant 'electric shocks' down one side of her body as well as feeling very sick which was an indication that she was about to pass out.
After seeing the doctors and neurologists she had several scans and test done - MRI, CT and two EEG tests as well as blood tests which all came back fine with no one knowing what the cause could be.
One day we noticed that when she missed taking the citalopram the shocks and fainting got progressively worse, and after some research which we presented to the doctor about SSRI discontinuation she was moved from the citalopram to sertraline. She has slowly been reducing this amount from 50 mg - which we are told is the smallest dose they have, to now only taking roughly 6 mg after cutting the tablets up. Going from half to half to half, cutting them further would just be powder.

The problem is that even with this very low dose after a day or two of not taking anything the pain from the shocks and the passing out is so intense that she has to resume taking them again. The shocks then calm down after a day or 2 and the fainting stops as well. She constantly has the shocks every evening.

There seems to be very little knowledge about these side affects which they say are very rare. Google says otherwise as once you know what the problem is you realise just how many other people have it as well! We have no idea how we are going to get her off the last bit and the damn tablets are making things worse for her as they cause so much pain and discomfort.

R4963
09-03-12, 20:42
I just had to register with this site and post my experiences of withdrawal. I'm okay at the moment but when i was going through the worst of it, threads like these were the only thing i wanted to look at, as I felt so alone so thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences. There must be so many people out there going through the same thing. I started on 50mg sertraline July 2011 and in December 2011 i suspected I was pregnant. I immediately decided I had to stop taking it but knowing I should wean off, reduced my dose down to 25mg. It turned out that I wasn't pregnant but as I'd already started reducing I decided to continue. Even though i'd reduced my dose by 25mg only, I felt the worst I;d ever felt in my entire life. I couldn't eat for 3 weeks, had the shakes, dizzy,migranes, tingling legs, woke up with numb arms and legs and had stabbing pains in my chest and stomach. Before taking the drug I'd never actually experienced a panic attack but these came regularly and boy are they AWFUL. I asked my husband to take me to A and E in the middle of the night one night. I had to go off work sick for 2 weeks and really really struggled to look after my kids.Anyhow i stabilised after about 3 weeks and then decided I couldn'y cope with anything like that again for a while. So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a pill cutter and cut the 25mg into 4 and have been taking fish oils and i have been reducing by i guess 6.5/7mg a week and so far the only thing i'm experiencing is the numb arms and legs in the middle of the night and a mild headache and the ear pressure thing which is manageable. I'm on 12.5mg at the mo so i really hope in a few weeks i'll be off completely. I have never written on any health forum at all before this i just can not believe I was never told about these potential withdrawals. If you look online i imagine people do get through eventually- there are some who say they are having problems years down the line but hopefully the majority of us will be okay. Good luck everyone

carlos2011
16-03-12, 23:39
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me bumping this post. I won't bore you with all the details..It's just a quick question to anyone still on here who's recently come off them.

I stopped taking them 2 days ago, I was on 100mg for 8 months, Doctor told me to take 50mg for 2 weeks (all good), I then did 25mg for a week. The side effects (I assume) are starting. I just feel really hot, like I'm coming down with something, burning ears. Like a hangover feeling too, headaches, a bit of health anxiety. I assume this will go eventually? I nearly gave in and had a tablet tonight.

Is this normal?

Any advice would be great..Shall I just tough it out? I stopped taking them as they weren't doing a lot for me, and they caused me massive insomnia. I was only on them as I've an eye condition (bad bad floaters from PVD) and suffering from lightheadedness, doctor thought it was anxiety..usual story. I'm having eye surgery in a couple of months, so I figured the problem should be solved so I no longer need to rely on tablets.

Cheers

Carl

Gotagetthroughthis
20-01-13, 20:01
Hi guys, hope you don't mind me bringing this thread back up.

I have recently starting coming off Sertraline and I am on 25mg day on day off now after coming down form 75mg. I will stop taking it completely in the next couple of weeks.

My anxiety is still at bay, no major panic or severe anxiety, generally calm most of the time. I do have quite a foggy head though and I feel like i'm becoming increasingly down and depressed.

I don't want coming off the meds to cause me to become depressed instead of anxious. Has anyone experienced feeling really low as they come off there meds?

I suppose it is understandable as there will be less Serotonin (happy brain chemical) in my system. Just hope its not permanent.

AmyVick
19-05-13, 23:18
Not sure anyone will still be reading this. I just wondered how people had got on now it's been over a year since the first post. I came off sertraline 2 weeks ago, cold turkey. I've previously tried tapering the dose but the effects were the same so I figured I may as well just come off them completely. I must admit, I feel awful! Headaches, sickness, anxiety, insomnia etc - literally every withdrawal symptom they list in Wikipedia I have! I'm going to my docs tomorrow as I read somewhere that taking a tablet such a fluoxetine (with a longer half life) can actually intervene with these symptoms and is easier to taper the dose. Has anyone tried this? I'm so close to caving in and taking sertraline again as I can't cope with this is and it's interfering massively with my life. Any assurances would be great right now!

babsbythebay
27-01-14, 02:05
I have been taking Sertraline 50mg once a day for about 8 years. My prescription ran out, and my insurance plan changed, so I decided to give it up cold turkey.
Mood wise I feel okay. The "brain zaps" are quite annoying and it's been about three weeks since I stopped taking it. I am hoping my moods stay even and my anxiety stays in check.

Select
28-01-14, 03:45
Hi I am getting brain zaps from coming of an anti depressant and someone mentioned trying fish oil with high DPA and EPH. I thought why not and do you know it actually has worked :)