PDA

View Full Version : Night time overactive mind...

ilovetoast
22-08-09, 16:05
Does anyone else ever find you are going over things in your head, normally negative, again and again, unable to allow a pleasant thought to ease your mind - but then realise you might have been clenching your hands or clenching your jaw, being generally stiff and uptight in posture?

I've noticed this when my mind is playing it's cruel TV shows in my head and I notice my muscles tighten, and then let them go and relax...sometimes I'm back there again, sometimes I get to sleep.

I hate night time! I just want to glide off to sleep! :weep:

den68
22-08-09, 16:18
i normally can get off to sleep fine but then wake up a couple of hours later with my mind going over things that have happened and things that might happen but probably wont. I even play out scenes in my head and think right if she says that to me i will say that to her. It drives me crazy sometimes. What i do and it works 60% of the time is imagine gold healing warm light creeping into my body and warming it. I start at my feet then my legs, stomach and im normally asleep by the time i get to my head, but you need to do it slowly if you rush it dosnt work

ilovetoast
22-08-09, 17:00
I'll try this Den, thanks!

Normally I try to think of things I really enjoy or like, I imagine flying or looking forward to something coming up like a hoiliday or something...but out of my control my mind ruins it...if I'm flying I crash, if it's Christmas it's ruined... it goes on - I don't even realise I've gone off my happy thought until I'm right in the middle of complete and utter dread or terrifying thoughts!

If it's a situation, like an argument it's exactly as you describe..."this will happen then that, and I would say, then she would say..." it drives me bonkers.

Happens at night, and/or in the morning - I'll be stood in the shower and realise I've been obsessing about something for 10 minutes and not even washed myself!

My teeth seem to ache sometimes and I'm sure it's because I'm grinding my teeth!

CONS
22-08-09, 17:03
Very easy to become more introspective at night as you have all the time to yourself, personally i fall asleep to something mellow everynight to ease my mind. simpsons or everybody loves raymond etc works a treat for me.

:)

ilovetoast
22-08-09, 17:37
I think I occupy my mind so much with TV or some other stimulus that by the time I go to sleep my mind is actually switched on instead of turning off.

I'm unsure if most of my life I'm actually diverting my mind away from anxiety so much, that when my mind should be going to sleep it's actually catching up on missed anxiety!?

You know the only time I actually go to sleep nowadays is when I'm absolutely flat exhausted - more like passing out than falling asleep.

kazzie
22-08-09, 18:05
Im a great one for having daft thoughts:whistles:

I find what works for me is to think of a picture or an object(the one I use is that famous painting of sunflowers) and every single time your mind starts to wander call up the image in your head and hold it there.....sounds barmy I know and takes some practice but it works

Luv Kaz:D

Slug
22-08-09, 18:27
I do this too.. it's very annoying. Also, I always seem to be either sleepy and nto tired (generally when it is daytime and I mustn't sleep), or tired and not sleepy (at night when I should be sleeping). My mind will just start obsessing over something.

JTemperance
22-08-09, 20:05
This happens to me too. You should look into getting a "bite guard" if you think you are clenching or grinding your teeth, it can have bad dental consequences if you don't take care of it. Wearing one of these things is a little awkward, but it's reassuring not to feel your teeth against each other.

ilovetoast
22-08-09, 21:11
OK, now I'm fearing asking for one! :weep:

teez
22-08-09, 22:43
i just cant turn my mind off,,no matter how hard i try,,,especially when its the early hours of the morning,,,ive not slept all night for the last 10 years,, and if i do its filled with either really odd dreams with my past and present all mixed up or evil nightmares,,so i just cant win :roflmao:

ilovetoast
23-08-09, 13:30
Hiya again Teez,

Do you think it's possible that because you are being 'strong' and not talking with anyone about these things that they are bottling up inside?

I only suggest that as having lots of dreams, not sleeping, having lots on your mind etc. seems to fit the bill.

If you don't feel you can talk to someone, why not try writing down your feelings or your fears in a notebook for your own benefit, that way nobody need be involved? Just you and your book sponging up those things that would normally be in your head?

teez
23-08-09, 16:33
:roflmao:, sorry had to laugh,,as ive about ten diarys full to the brim,,,i think one of the reasons i dont open up more is because i lost my old pal of 30 years,,,he was blooming good with me,,never ever got the pull your self together speech,,was just my sounding post,,i trusted him with my inner most thoughts now im trying to get used to going it alone,,its pretty scarey but i will do it, see ive opened up,,something ive never said out loud,,or written, have now,,:roflmao: