PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Propranolol

blonde_panic
22-08-09, 20:45
Hi,

Has anybody successfully come off propranolol?

I was on 40 mg tablet 3 times a day and gradually weened myself off them over a month (following my doctor's advice). But then after 2 weeks I started to panic and have all the symptoms again. The doctor had said I could take a 10 mg tablet as and when I need it, but taking just one or two in a day had no effect, plus I felt high anxiety all the time. So now I have been on 10 mg 3 times a day and have been fine until now and the panic symptoms are coming back. I'm scared of having to go back on a higher dose and I dream of a day when I am drug-free.

So has anyone out there come off propranolol, and if so how? Did I try coming off it too quickly maybe?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

littlewaternymph
20-09-09, 00:57
Hi,

I took propranolol for a long time and I have managed to successfully wean myself off it. Personally it took me a long time, dropping the dose incredibly slowly til i was only taking one half of a 10mg tablet and finally nothing. I think the trick is to only start dropping dosage when you are feeling comfortable with what you're taking. However, I'm sure it is different for different people.

The most important thing is not to panic about having to go back onto a higher dose, if it helps then that's the important thing, long term usage is not a problem and there a few side effects so it might be better to go back to your original dose until you feel comfortable and then try again to wean yourself off in a while.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck :hugs:
xxx

jackie l
21-09-09, 13:13
hiya. i have been off mine for aweek now. not doing too bad,i was like you with 3x40 aday and then gradually when i felt i was ready on 3x10 aday, gradually coming off them. my gp has been great she told me when ever i need to just take one which i need last week. after half a hour felt better, stick with it,the feeling of being med free is enough in itself,good luck,:hugs:hugs to all jackie xxxx

AG
24-05-10, 20:37
I've recently withdrawn form Propranolol and have been off the meds for 2 weeks now. I was on 80 mg once a day for just over a year and it's taken me 3 months to withdraw from that dosage. My Dr told me to half the dosage on alternate days for 2 weeks (e.g 80mg/40mg alternate days) and then do the lower dosage every day for 2 weeks (e.g 40mg per day) and keep on cutting the dosage down every 2 weeks. The only side effects I've had on coming off them is occasional jerking of my hands, but my Dr said that was a normal reaction. So if you want to get off the Propranolol I recommend you give it a go, but with your Dr's help as well. I wanted to get off them because I was piling on weight whilst on them. Certainly have a lot more energy now I'm off them.

Going home
24-05-10, 22:35
I'd love to give up propranolol (mine are called half inderal) and ive been taking 80mg once a day for the last 2 and a half years, and in that time have put on 3st in extra weight. I was given them for a combination of high Bp and migraine. The doctor did swop me over (at my request) to one of the other Bp meds about a year ago but I felt so ill after a few days that I couldn't work out if I was withdrawing from the propranolol or suffering side effects from the new meds, and after a few weeks of anxiety and heart flutters etc, was put back onto the propranolol.

After reading some of the posts here though, I think i'm going to have another chat to my doctor about maybe weaning me off them properly, or at least lowering my dose to half which may help with the battle of the bulge!

It might be an idea for the members who are in the same boat with coming off Propranolol to keep sharing their experiences or progress here?

Anna xx :)

craig 88
20-02-11, 11:04
hi i am weaning off propranolol, i had a slight arrythmia last year but my cardiologist said i was fine and to wean off the drugs, but today i have felt a strange feeling in my chest and throat like im having palpitations but my pulse is normal....im a big worrier and could anybody help me to identify if this may be just a side effect from coming off them??????????????i will appreciate any reply thank you

pollynewsome
13-03-14, 19:55
Hiya,, i am trying to get off this stuff.. hardwork.. week 5 and down to 1 tab of 40 mg every 5 day now// today which is my 5th day without i have felt dreadful.. shaky jittery panicky cold strange feeling in chest and throat:( horrible.. i hope this helps but i do think it prob side affect of coming off them:(

Catherine S
13-03-14, 20:29
I guess its because they block adrenaline so they calm our nervous system down, stop our hearts from thumping away when we are anxious. Coming off them has to be done gradually so our system can cope with each dose reduction for a while before the next reduction. I'd say it should takes months rather than weeks to come off them completely.

I'm glad I read this thread though as it proves that this med does make the lbs pile on as I've discovered myself over the few years I've been taking it. Ive read that it changes the way your body deals with insulin or something. I'm currently on 40mg taken as two 20mg doses each day, and is half of the 80mg I was on previously which knocked me about loads. I take it mostly to stop the heart flutters and missed beats so not sure if not taking them is an option. Strangely enough my own GP takes it for this reason too and we often have a chat about it :D

As for the extra weight, I'm thinking of trying a diet for people with metabolic issues, which is similar to a diet for diabetes, and is aimed at insulin-resistence.

pollynewsome
03-05-14, 18:51
hi how longs a long time? i was taking it for 4 years and now in january started weaning off it under docs orders. been off a month now and feel dreadful still:( with thanks. Polly

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

ive been a month without but to be honest feel dreadful still. Doc said could take upto 6 months! x

Ankit srivastava
21-10-15, 16:25
Hello members,
I took propranotol and clonazepam for four weeks. As I needed that to clear my medical examination. Then I suddenly stopped talking these medicine. Since last one week I am having nervousness sweating, pain in chest and tremor in complete body. As I understood that I shouldn't have done this. But now it is more than a week so I am expecting coming out of these symptoms every next day. Kindly suggest me the way out. Shall I restart the medicine and then gradually reduce the dose. Or should I wait more.

Thanks in advance