PDA

View Full Version : Can't Breathe

katheriner
10-10-05, 10:37
Since Saturday afternoon I've been feeling so breathless, even though I am trying to tell myself that I am not dying and that there's nothing wrong with me, I keep feeling so bad that I am certain that I am going to die. Then I feel a bit better, and manage to persuade myself that I'm not dying, then it comes back again a few hours later, and again I'm totally convinced I'm dying. I'm so frightened, and I can't face living like this anymore. I've tried all the breathing exercises but they just seem to make me worse. I find the more I think about my breathing the worse I feel. I wish my body would breathe normally like it used to do, without me even noticing! If anyone's got any tips for me I'd be really grateful.
Thanks.
Kath

mum2four
10-10-05, 11:02
When you start breathing thing you really need to distract your self in a postive way. How about turning on your favorite song and singing to it either out loud or in your head. A song that is very positive and fun to sing and keep playing that song as much as you need to distract you self. If you focus on the word's of the song you wont be thinking about your breathing.

At my worst a fue year's I came across this song that really help me heap's it was called Faith of the Heart by Russel Wattson the words in that song got threw plenty of bad day's.

Music can be very good for in so many ways. If you haven't tryed it yoy really should and if you have tryed it keep trying and keep singing the words to distract your self.

mazz
10-10-05, 11:06
i have the same prob , i find if i put on a yoga dvd with soft background music it helps me do the breathing exercises much better , aslo its helping me with toning up so thats positive .be strong

sue447
10-10-05, 13:21
hi kath,
ive been feeling like that on and off for months, you are definetly not alone in this its quite frightening, as the others say distraction helps to take your mind off it, ive been worrying that im going to stop breathing , please try not to worry, it will pass, the way i look at it now is if something was to happen it would have by now thats the way i think lately
take care
luv sue xx:)

Meg
10-10-05, 14:01
*I find the more I think about my breathing the worse I feel*

Distraction is key, get really lost in something that takes concentrating on, or go and have a chat with someone or do some exercise that will really make you puff.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

mirry
11-10-05, 18:32
I been like this for 3 days now BREATHLESS.
what i used to do is a real hard work out to get me breathing so hard it scared me. Then when i stopped my normal breathing felt much much more normal.

SITTING HERE THINKING WHY DID I STOP THE EXCERSIZE ?

mirryx

sleekx
11-10-05, 21:12
[font=Script MT Bold][/font=Script MT Bold hi i have suffered with my breathing and had a bad three months . i had all the test you can imagine i really thought i was goin to die. i had every breathing tes t possible even had a brain scan. its frightening what you can make your mind to belive is happening . ive jut gone back ito fulltime employment after three months, iam feeling better but i still get breathing bouts which still panic me ,which have read some of the replys on this site which is encouraging. i have also had accupunture which i swear that helped me alot. i am on prozac which unfortnutley i have been on for 8 yrs .when i tryed to come off of them , is when i had these problems which iead me to be real bad for three months and have theese bad breathing attacks where i feel that im being strangled of all my air its so fritening. i wonder if iam ever goin to be able to come off these tablets and get back to my normal self . anybody else feel like this

Peru83
12-10-05, 07:35
Hi Kath,

Can I just ask are you a chest breather or a stomach breather? I know that this will sound daft,lol, but I am a chest breather and that meanst that you breaths are really shallow and can cause this breathlessness to happen. My doctor told me to place my hand on my abdomen and take in deep breaths and make sure that my stomach was rising. Practice makes perfect with this and doing it whilst walking is the hardest,lol. Try this and see if it helps, it has for me.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

katheriner
12-10-05, 11:25
Hi again, thanks for all your kind replies.
I actually went to an NHS Walk-I clinic for a quick check up to reassure myself in the end. They have assured me I am in perfect health - but still it can be hard to believe sometimes, when I get that tight chest and breathless feeling!
I will practise the breathing from my tummy - I hate doing the breathing exercises as they always make me feel worse, but I will try and persevere.
Had very sad news yesterday - a close relative of my boyfriend died and he's very upset - I am desperately trying to hold it together and be a support for him - even went on the tube by myself as it was the only way to get to his place quickly. Really hope I can stay strong for him, even though I feel terrible inside at the moment.

Meg
12-10-05, 13:33
How Do You Do The Breathing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4042)
Breathing.. wow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4037)
Breathing Techniques (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4044)
CONTROLLED BREATHING (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5041)
Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5412)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?