PDA

View Full Version : Poll: For All Those That Overbreathe/Hyperventilate *important please vote*

Dafyddjohndavies
23-08-09, 13:34
Hi all,

As a fellow sufferer of hyperventilation syndrome and anxiety I have been spending a lot of time experimenting with techniques to get rid of it. I have come a long way since I first had the condition and can happily say that I'm well on my way to recovery.

I've started this poll to see if I have stumbled across one of the main causes of overbreathing/hyperventilation syndrome so please could you vote for me so I can see for sure.

Kind Regards,

Dafydd

Dafyddjohndavies
23-08-09, 14:06
EDIT: or did you use to smoke???

Panikki
23-08-09, 14:18
I gave up smoking for three months and really severe hyperventilation started after about 2 mnths. Decided i may as well smoke again so have been back on ciggies for about 2mnths again ..not much improvement on the hyperventilation though?
I did notice that when i gave up for the three months my mood dropped dramatically..so maybe i started to stress more and hence the hyperventillation. It has been really bad 24/7 but dies down and gets worse the more stressed and panicky i feel! Hope this helps Jodie x

june
23-08-09, 14:18
I suffer badly with hyperventilation - i have just posted elswhere about - concentration and holding your breath (without realising) and nearly passing out -a most terrifying sensation.:weep:
I gave up smoking 25 years ago:ohmy:
June

rich303
23-08-09, 22:24
Cigarette smoke makes me panicky so no, won't go near it.

Dafyddjohndavies
24-08-09, 13:27
Reason For This Poll

Well I didn't expect an equal draw. The reason I posted this poll is because I have been experimenting with making myself feel like crap and coming out of it to figure out exactly what it is that makes me feel horrible. I've documented this for the past 5months trying to find the cause. And I think smoking is one of the main reason's the overbreathing started.

I think its to do with breathing through your mouth.. when you smoke its through your mouth and the more you smoke the more mouth breathing your doing which combined with anxiety becomes hyperventilation syndrome. I don't think its limited to smoking though, if you have bad posture its harder to breathe through your nose and bad habit bust also be a cause.

So I've breathed through my mouth all week and lo and behold I have HVS again and feel panicky, trying to control my breathing which makes me feel even worse etc etc...I actually find it amazing how quickly you get stuck in this rut and feel a little shut of from the world... Its scary.

Now since Sunday I have been breathing through my nose, and really concentrated on breathing through just my nose in and out. I breathe as much as I want to through my nose and the horrible feelings I experienced while mouth breathing had changed to a better less painful feeling although still un-comfortable but bearable.

Now if you'r going to try this nose breathing to see if it helps you will probably find that your breathing hard in through your nose and finding it really really difficult... It's normal. Try and aim to breathe in gently and ignore that feeling of wanting to take a forced deep breath. Its called air hunger and the longer you learn to ignore it the easier it gets to breathe gently.

If you do breathe in deeply its ok, it takes time to get over that feeling. Your trying to aim to get the breath in to be a smooth, soft breath that is not deep.

Laila-Saphire
24-08-09, 17:23
if you consentrate on breathing does that not cause an other attack? I mean when you are concentrating whilst having an attack that is understandable but if you do it all the time are you not just giving yourself more anxiety?

Dafyddjohndavies
24-08-09, 19:00
if you consentrate on breathing does that not cause an other attack? I mean when you are concentrating whilst having an attack that is understandable but if you do it all the time are you not just giving yourself more anxiety?

Its not your breathing that gives you anxiety, its your anxiety that makes you breathe wrong. You keep thinking your breathing wrong and without knowing it are holding your breath and then taking massive gulps of air in which is making you feel worse then your anxiety rises because you begin to feel all those side effects. Hyperventilation is a natural reaction to anxiety. You produce adrenaline and it gets your body ready to fight or run.

Concentrating on breathing right and concentrating on breathing are two different things. If your always aware of your breathing and worried that your breathing wrong etc then it will more than likely cause you to feel worse if you continue to breathe wrong. But what I have been doing is concentrating on breathing through my nose and taking nice breaths in and out.

I have been overbreathing on purpose, but on my own terms... I don't seem to get the panic feeling whilst breathing only through my nose as it forces you to breathe correctly. I know you can start panicking from finding nose breathing difficult and turning back to mouth breathing.

You should try it, it can't harm you in anyway. breathe in gently for 2 seconds hold for 1 seconds and out for 2. But only breathe in and out through your nose. Keep on doing it and doing it until you start getting a rhythm!!

Try to ignore what your brain is telling you and just go with it. Probably best to practice lying down so that you can feel your chest expanding. Whilst breathing do not try to force your chest out or your stomach out or anything.. just think about breathing as soft as you can.

nomorepanic
24-08-09, 23:33
You are over breathing

Read the breathing techniques on the coping page on the left. It is nothing to do with smoking trust me

Thumbelina
25-08-09, 08:26
I find that concentrating on distirbed breathing in any way makes me even more anxious. I intend to ignore it completely and with time it goes away itslf.

Dafyddjohndavies
25-08-09, 10:52
You are over breathing

Read the breathing techniques on the coping page on the left. It is nothing to do with smoking trust me

I agree about the overbreathing part but disagree about you saying its nothing to do with smoking. When your anxious you automatically take breaths in through your mouth, gulping it down and its mouth breathing that makes you feel worse because your not activating your diaphragm.

I'm pretty sure that smoking put's you into poor breathing habits and the anxiety on top of that makes you breathe more which in turn gives you overbreathing problems. If you do smoke though I wouldn't say stop smoking, id just say try and change your habit of mouth breathing.

I'm only speaking from personal experience though, as I was a suffer of this condition and have pretty much conquered it with help from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and breathing exercises.

june
26-08-09, 15:02
You are over breathing

Oh Nic, i often refer back to most of the pages in ""Problems and issues""
I had completely forgotten ""self help"" how to cope.
Thank you for the reminder
best wishes
june
:hugs: