PDA

View Full Version : starting CBT

deb-22
23-08-09, 18:48
Ive had an appointment come through to start CBT on tuesday> Im really nervous as not sure what to expect or how long I will be there I have had councling in the past .... is it like that :ohmy:

CONS
23-08-09, 20:49
CBT teaches you to retrain the brain and its way of thinking. Inside the brain are branches that move around and connect with other branches that allow electro charges to pass. When you have a bad day say, these branches have shifted and also whenever you laugh heartedly. Branches can remain fixed if your 'stuck in your ways' or refuse to change your beliefs in certain areas.

CBT gives a new way or maybe even an old way of looking at things logically and through logic you relieve tension, fear and worry.

This is my understanding.

deb-22
23-08-09, 20:51
wow ..... as long as it helps .....thanks for replying

Atlas
24-08-09, 20:24
CBT is basically - and I don't exaggerate - 'don't think negative thoughts!' Simple. You may feel compelled to pay a psychiatrist to tell you that over and over again for an hour every week but I certainly don't (I have had much experience with psychiatrists with no progress).

Lion King
24-08-09, 20:39
CBT was nerve racking for me at first, I went in open minded, but tense and nervous. When I built trust up with the therapist after a couple of sessions I became more relaxed and the thoughts and feelimgs soon started to flow. I am on my 8th or 9th session and it is now we are breaking my initial thoughts up and linking them to find the route cause of my anxiety. CBT has been a real bonus, it stopped my muddled up thinking and cleared the way. Good Luck with the CBT!

bobobob
24-08-09, 20:42
Be reassured, it did help me, doesn't hurt. Have to use brain a bit but in a good way. Its good ....

cupcakes2009
25-08-09, 06:22
i had my 9th or 10th session yesterday, it is great, like others the first time i was dead scared, i also have agrophobia so the lady from the mental health team comes to me. I have learnt so much, more than i ever thought i would. You do have to give it your all i think and i do home work every week to :D good luck xx