PDA

View Full Version : E.C.G

andrewjdavid2005
10-10-05, 17:21
I went to the docs today because i had chest pains and tightness and feel slightly out of breath, she said my breathing was fine but couldnt explain the chest pains etc.

I am a asthma sufferer but she says that my asthma is fine.

My blood pressure was slightly high but she said this was probably because i am slightly overweight.

But tomorrow i have to go to the hospital for a E.C.G but she never explained why.

I have been worrying about a lung blood clot again but for instance i did have one would the E.C.G show up something abnormal, because obviously a blood clot in the lung affects the heart.

Meg
10-10-05, 17:29
An ECG alone is conclusively non diagnostic in the diagnosis of lung blood clots.

Its main value is in ruling out other causes of the presenting symptoms.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

andrewjdavid2005
10-10-05, 17:45
Thanks for your reply meg, what sort of things do E.C.G look for/rule out etc?

Thanks.

Quirky
10-10-05, 18:19
Hi Andrew,
I was sent to hospital by my gp a few weeks ago as she thought I may have a blood clot. I also saw a cardiologist recently who told me that if I had a blood clot in my lung it would show up as right sided heart strain on a ECG. A doctor at the hospital and a consultant cardiologist both told me that. They both told me a blood clot would make the ECG abnormal. Of course there are several reasons for an abnormal ECG and then they start to investigate further. So an ECG alone isn't conclusive one way or another of a blood clot but it may indicate they need to test further, they also look at what symptoms you're having and if a blood clot was suspected would do special blood tests and possibly a lung scan. You have had chest pain a long time on and off so it's most probably anxiety.
I guess your gp is just sending you for a ECG to put your mind at rest.
LJ

tattybear
10-10-05, 18:33
Hi Andrew

I too have been having chest pains etc, saw my doc on wednesday - he checked my BP and chest etc - all fine. He sent me for an ecg - which i had today - such a simple procedure! You just lay there, they stick on some pads, attach the wires and the machin just takes a redaing!! so simple and nothing at all to worry about. I also had a blood test (thyroid function) and have got a chest Xray at hospital on wed.

My ecg was fine - my heart rate is slightly high, but that was expected due to anxiety - it isnt anything to worry about.

You doc is sending you for the tests because they wouldnt be doing there job if they didnt - they're just ruling out anything which it could be - im 99% sure mine is anxiety as the last 2 days i have felt better anxiety wise and also better chest pain etc wise.

Tatty B xx

andrewjdavid2005
10-10-05, 21:50
On the e.c.g slip that i have to take to the hospital it says reason for e.c.g is chest tightness, my chest pain is getting worser and worser this evening and when i breath it it hurts even more i am very worried but hopefully if i did have something bad like a lung blood clot the e.c.g would find it unless the docs miss it but a lung blood clot is bound to affect the heart so if i had that hopefully it would be picked up, unless of course i have something else.

nomorepanic
10-10-05, 21:54
Andrew

You are making it worse by worrying about it.

You have had this for many months so if it was more serious I think you would have known about it a long time ago.

Try not to worry ok - you are making it worse by doing that.

You need to find something to distract yourself - when the baby is born that will keep you very busy lol.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

andrewjdavid2005
10-10-05, 21:57
Thanks for your replies, i have had chest pain before yes but nothing like this, the very sharp pains im getting all over my chest and when i breath in is nothing like i have experienced before and i'm feeling very uncomfortable and yes i am worrying alot its hard not to.

nomorepanic
10-10-05, 21:59
Andrew

If it is that serious you ought to call the doctor out - he will be able to check you over.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Quirky
11-10-05, 17:00
How are you now Andrew? How did the ECG go today?
Please let us know how you're doing.
LJ

andrewjdavid2005
11-10-05, 21:07
Well i had my ECG and they said they would send the results back to docs within a week but i was wondering if for example i had a blood clot on my lung or something else serious would the hospital have rang me today and called me back in or not surely they wouldnt just do nothing.

nomorepanic
11-10-05, 21:42
Glad you got that done. I am sure the doc will let you know the results asap.

I don't think they would let you go if they saw anything really abnormal.

Nicola

Quirky
11-10-05, 22:38
Glad it went ok today Andrew. If they saw anything serious they would have kept you there as they have a good idea if it's normal straight away. Even if they had noticed something abnormal later they would have contacted you. Good luck with the results but it sounds like it will be fine. Hope the breathing and chest pain are better today.
LJ

lara100
18-10-05, 17:48
Hi Andrew,

I hope you are feeling better. A lung blood clot is quite serious and if the doctors suspected you had one the would not have let you go home. Think of it like this, if there was a clot on you rlung, the doctors would have recognised a specific set of symptoms. Its probably because they have ruled out the blood clot and are just running tests as routine. I have had panic for years and I used to read about the chest pains and the tight throat. I never had them until about a month ago and the pain in my chest really hurt like being stabbed or something. I just froze and waited thinking right if it lasts more than fifteen minutes Im phoning 999! It went away. I read somewhere that the chest pain may be something to do with the little layers of muscles in between our ribs. The panic sets off the normal chemical reactions in our bodies and just like we get other aching muscles after panic attack, maybe these little muscles contract as well and hurt. I know that this definately happens when you get a lump in the throat when panicking. I just looked in my medical dictionary (anyone else have one he he i'm always in it!!) and they said chest pain is more often than not, not a sign of life threatening illness. You may have just coughed too hard and strained yourself.

Anyway I do go on, I hope your better soon, try not too worry [^]XX

Lara