PDA

View Full Version : Metopolol (Toprol)

momof3boys
23-08-09, 21:21
I have started metopolol, which is the cheaper med of toprol, just wondering if anyone has taken it? They gave it to me for my blood pressure and rapid heart rate, I just keep getting lightheaded and very tired, today is my second day taking it? Anyone give me any info on it?

NervousNellie
24-08-09, 13:47
My husband has been taking it for almost 3 years now. He was originally put on it because he had one panic attack that raised his blood pressure to 225/174 and his heart rate was over 200! The medication certainly does it's job...his bp is always normal and his heart rate is great. He has had no problems with any side effects. Hope it makes you feel better! :)

momof3boys
24-08-09, 14:40
does anyone know how long it takes for the side effects to go away? i have the lightheadedness and tired from this....

Lucky07
24-08-09, 21:50
I take atenolol which is basically the same thing. It takes a couple of weeks to adjust to the change it brings about in your body. You'll always be a *little* more tired and lightheaded than you would without the drug but it will be most pronounced in the first couple of weeks. Another thing it tends to give me is I get short of breath faster than I would without the drug. Overall though I love this drug. I was originally put on it for the same things as you but it really helps with the anxiety. It pretty much stops your heart from being able to race so that stops a lot of panic attacks right there. I hope you get on ok with it. GL!

momof3boys
24-08-09, 22:40
Thanks for getting back to me about the tired and lightheaded stuff, I can already tell the difference with my anxiety somewhat, I feel better already.